2nd Gen Dodge Cummins Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Gen Dodge Cummins Value?

Looking at a 1998 Dodge 3500 dually 4x4 24V diesel w/5 speed tranny. 145K miles. 1 owner (an older gentleman bought it new and appears to have taken good care of it). For its age, interior is a 9 out of 10. Exterior has no dents but clear coat is gone on top of rear fenders and a little of the bed. The cab has really good paint/clear coat. No know issues except all AC system was replaced a few months ago, functioned properly when completed but now doesn’t blow cold. Also a 2” crack in a rear fender that’s not really noticeable. Exterior is an 8 out of 10 for a 22 year old truck. Appears to be 100% factory including shocks, springs, tie rods, all steering/suspension, engine, tranny, interior, etc.
    It does have the “53” block.
    I know the current market is stupid for these trucks but what would be a price on it?
    Thanks.

Those 53 blocks are notorious for cracking, wouldn’t scare me because I could pull the Motor and install a replacement in 2 days. Even with the 53 block I bet he could get 15,000 for it, maybe a little more.

Comment

Just to be clear, I’m looking at buying this.
      I’ve read they’re notorious for cracking but I’ve also read that only ~5% actually do. Correct or not?

Comment

I could be wrong but I believe one sold on here a month or so back for about 15k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          Just to be clear, I’m looking at buying this.
          I’ve read they’re notorious for cracking but I’ve also read that only ~5% actually do. Correct or not?
          I’ve only known two blocks that have cracked personally, both trucks had lots of miles, one with around 220,000 the other 350,000.

Comment

Also if I remember right there was some 53 blocks made quite a bit thicker, so those were the ones that were not cracking. Not sure on the years though

Comment

Not an answer to your question, but depending on when it was assembled/purchased a 98 model could be pushing 25 years old, not 22 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove a 1998.5 the first year of the 24V with a 53 block. I bought it with 160K miles and sold it with 289,000 miles. Never had an issue, wish I would have never sold it. If it has not cracked by now IMO its not going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfcoastin View Post
                  I drove a 1998.5 the first year of the 24V with a 53 block. I bought it with 160K miles and sold it with 289,000 miles. Never had an issue, wish I would have never sold it. If it has not cracked by now IMO its not going to.
                  I had one also. Best mileage diesel I ever owned. But man that was a clanking motor

Pains me to say a truck of that age would bring 15k. But thats what I'd say also

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

15 is fair to the current owner. He holds the keys

Comment

This is freaking awesome by the way and we must see pictures either way

Comment

Let’s see some pictures

Comment

I don’t have pictures. It’s local to me and I just asked the guy one day if he’d sell it. He told me he wants $20K but for me he’s take $18K. I’m a bit hesitant at $18K.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                            I don’t have pictures. It’s local to me and I just asked the guy one day if he’d sell it. He told me he wants $20K but for me he’s take $18K. I’m a bit hesitant at $18K.
                            I would really think hard and research it , seems steep?
                            $12,000 ?

Comment

Based on your description I bet he can get 15 to 18.

Comment

Working...
                              X