Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Red Deer

Got a question for the Green Screen...

You get an opportunity for a 2 day Red Deer Hind hunt, what do you take to hunt with, Compound Bow, Rifle or Crossbow??
    Thoughts before you decide...
    Compound Bow - You have harvested game (Elk, Pigs, Bobcat, Wild Turkey, and Whitetail Deer from Texas to Michigan) and never had any issues.
    Rifle - You are confident in shots up to 300 yards and never had any issues with harvesting what you are hunting
    Crossbow - Have only harvested 3 whitetail deer with it (Kansas - 2 does 1 buck)

I am kinda stuck on what to take. I want to use my Bowtech, but I also want to see how the Crossbow performs on something larger than a Kansas Whitetail deer..

Give me your thoughts...
    And GO....

Compound Bow or I don’t go.

By the way you wrote compound twice. I’m sure you meant crossbow on one of them.

I see you fixed it.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-16-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Just for Clarification...
      Any of the three are allowed...

Comment

Take bow and rifle. If you don't get a shot with bow break out the thunder stick.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

With only 2 days Id take a gun. That way I kill.

Comment

Depends on where you are going and the disposition and quantity of animals... I had this opportunity and took my bow... My hind was dead about 45 minutes after I got into my stand on the first afternoon... spent the rest of the hunt chasing pigs... Those hinds are a good sized animal and the table fare is most excellent!

Comment

Both bow and rifle. They taste to good to not bring home some meat

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                Take bow and rifle. If you don't get a shot with bow break out the thunder stick.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
                This. Depending on set up/shot success rate for outfitter, etc., I would hunt the first morning with bow only and adjust from there bringing in the rifle when necessary. I guess it depends on whether this would be a 1 time hunt or an annual type thing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                  This. Depending on set up/shot success rate for outfitter, etc., I would hunt the first morning with bow only and adjust from there bringing in the rifle when necessary. I guess it depends on whether this would be a 1 time hunt or an annual type thing as well.
                  I am starting to do a Cow Meat Hunt every year and changing the species every year. Horns/Antlers are nice, but I am more about the meat. Stock the freezer if you get what I mean.

Comment

Hard question to answer. How big is the place? Are they patterned? How many do they have?

Depending on the answer I would take the compound and a rifle as backup.

Comment

I used my longbow for my Argentina red stag!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        I used my longbow for my Argentina red stag!!!

Bisch

Was it a 2 day hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                          Was it a 2 day hunt?

No, but if it had been, I would have still been toting my longbow! Don’t know that I would go that far for a 2-day hi t though!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                            Both bow and rifle. They taste to good to not bring home some meat
                            Second this

Comment

Take all three hunt with bow a hunt then crossbow then if no luck break out the boom stick. They eat way to good to not get one. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X