• Time
  • Show
Clear All

tp@wd closing oyster

TPWD Closing Oyster Harvest Areas in Galveston Bay and Espiritu Santo Bay
    Dec. 9, 2021
    Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
    News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is closing TX-1, TX-5 and TX-7 in Galveston Bay and TX-24 in Espiritu Santo Bay to commercial and recreational oyster harvest beginning at 12:01 a.m. Monday, Dec. 13, 2021.

This closing is based on samples recently collected by TPWD showing low abundance of legal-sized oysters. TPWD has worked with the oyster industry to develop criteria for closing areas to harvest. The criteria includes parameters for oysters when they fall below certain thresholds based on the abundance of legal-sized oysters (3 inches or greater) and the percentage of small oysters (2-2.9 inches).

“Sampling results indicate the number of legal oysters is very limited in these areas,” says Galveston Bay Ecosystem Team Lead Christine Jensen. “This closure is designed to provide some protection to undersize oysters so they can reach legal size. These areas will continue to be monitored by TPWD and will reopen when criteria thresholds are met.”

As of Monday Dec. 13, these areas will be closed to oyster harvest on the Texas coast:

Galveston Bay - TX-1, TX-4, TX-5, TX-6, TX-7
    Matagorda Bay - TX-12, TX-13, TX-15, TX-16, TX-18, TX-19, TX-20, TX-21
    San Antonio Bay - TX-24, TX-26, TX-27

Dang it . Had to beat oysters from San Antonio bay

Comment

they need to close the oystering near Rockport too. The oyster fishermen destroy the reefs as they sit on them and just pummel them. I won't eat another oyster but I love them. We should all boycott them.

Comment

Louisiana has been closed for a long time due to hurricanes and excessive run off. That has put a lot of pressure on Texas waters and the closures were inevitable. The oysters that I have been receiving at my restaurant from Galveston bay have been getting smaller. I think it’s the right call. Boycotting oysters? That’s blasphemy.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          they need to close the oystering near Rockport too. The oyster fishermen destroy the reefs as they sit on them and just pummel them. I won't eat another oyster but I love them. We should all boycott them.
          Man I was wanting to find a way down there to get me a gallon or so of fresh shucked oysters! Guess I'm back to buying frozen blue points from Fresh!

Boycott oysters??? Never!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Louisiana has been closed for a long time due to hurricanes and excessive run off. That has put a lot of pressure on Texas waters and the closures were inevitable. The oysters that I have been receiving at my restaurant from Galveston bay have been getting smaller. I think it’s the right call. Boycotting oysters? That’s blasphemy.
            This!! Hard to beat a big ole plate of Oysters Ernie.....or fried oysters....or raw if I know where they came from.

Comment

All commercial oystering should be completely shut down until the state can figure out a way to regulate(police the industry)... These commercial oyster boats come from all over the place and many are totally out of control and have no interest in protecting the resource.. Seek and destroy while making $$$$. They completely destroyed Christmas bay down here several years ago.. It may never recover... It is 100% criminal what took place out there...

Comment

Dang, me and ttax agree. But, really, the oyster fishermen don't give a rat's butt about our bays. Instead of putting the small ones back on the reef, they sort while they are under way and the reefs are decimated. Oysters are our filters and protect the bays. You are very ignorant if you don't see the harm, irreversible, what oystering does.

Comment

Sport fishing regulations are forever changing making salt water fishing not worth going out. But the commercial guys continue to rape the resources with very little repercussions.

Comment

Sport fishing regulations are forever changing making salt water fishing not worth going out. But the commercial guys continue to rape the resources with very little repercussions.
                    Yep, you are correct on that as well. CCA is the best in helping us do that but I am not real happy with them on that account.

Comment

Yeah I miss snapper fishing in the winter and spring

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        All commercial oystering should be completely shut down until the state can figure out a way to regulate(police the industry)... These commercial oyster boats come from all over the place and many are totally out of control and have no interest in protecting the resource.. Seek and destroy while making $$$$. They completely destroyed Christmas bay down here several years ago.. It may never recover... It is 100% criminal what took place out there...
                        This. And East Matagorda bay got it pretty bad too. I love some oysters but they need to fix this before there isn't any left.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Yep, you are correct on that as well. CCA is the best in helping us do that but I am not real happy with them on that account.
                          CCA looks out for the fishing guides more than the recreational fisherman.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                            CCA looks out for the fishing guides more than the recreational fisherman.
                            Maybe on inshore/ bays , offshore the gulf council is 100% commercial

Comment

They need to issue more private leases. The public/ open bay reefs are a free for all - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec4Ffx1BgJ4"]Exploitation of South Dollar Reef - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X