A first for me!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A first for me!!!!!

I have never seen any in the wild, but as i type, there is a drake and hen Wood Duck on my pond. Sure wish I had a good camera and telephoto lens right now!

Beautiful Drake!

They are incredibly beautiful! I used to see one occasionally in the creek on my lease in Throckmorton county.

Comment

That is cool, I have only seen a few here and there on ponds

Comment

I guess I take them for granted here in East Texas. They are everywhere. Probably the most colorful and pretty duck there is

Comment

NOW, I have 2 pairs on the pond!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            You will probably end up with a group. They are one of the most social ducks. I have one pond near Tulia that has them on it every year. I hunt about 20 other ponds within 10 miles of there and have only seen them on one other. That was just one time. I shot a giant drake several years ago and creative critters did a amazing mount of him for me. Now I just enjoy them landing in the decoys. Mallards are way bigger.

Comment

beautiful bird for sure

Comment

Had about 15 of them coming up from a creek to my feeder every day last year. I loved watching them.

Comment

Are you on the hill by the golf ball??

Comment

They are just corn bandits in East Texas. Beautiful ones though.

Comment

Put up some nesting boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Good time to put up some nesting boxes. They usually start laying in Jan/Feb.

Comment

They are Beautiful Ducks for sure...my Favorite!!!

Comment

Not many ducks are prettier.. It's funny how things are... I've never killed a GreenHead mallard but I've killed more Wood ducks than I could count.. Countless drakes..
                            Heck I can have 50-100 Wood ducks in my backyard ditch(slough)from time to time this time of year..

Comment

We are luck enough to have a ton that live on our place. I have a feeder beside our lake and I think we feed more ducks than we do deer.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Cliff Dog; 12-03-2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X