Old Jennings Compound Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a Jennings compound sometime around 1970 maybe. As I recall it was an "S-handle". This was prior to the Arrowstar line. Anyone remember it or have pictures perhaps?

I have a old Jennings sidekick that I bought new about mid 70’s. I still have it. I am not sure it’s the bow you were asking about
    Bob
    Last edited by BOBSTER; 11-12-2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Comment

Wow I haven’t thought of that brand in years

Comment

Whoo - you putting me back there, mine was the Jennings Forked Lightning prob early 80s. Thought I was the @$#&!

Comment

This is the one I had. Pre 70's. Quickly went back to Bear Grizzly recurve.

Comment

I used to shoot a Jennings Carbon Extreme 84lb draw weight. But that was back in the day. That thing would chrono 284 fps with a Bear 8.6 metric magnum and a 5 blade Rocky Mountain Razor BH. Gave it to my nephew after my right shoulder joint played out. Shock was hell on my bow arm elbow too. Dang thing was only 40% let off.
              Last edited by muzzlebrake; 11-13-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Sidekick was one of my first bows.

Comment

First bow was a Jennings Forked Lightning Jr (or some version that was smaller than the standard)

Bought it with my own money and spent a lot of time after school shooting it and getting good enough to hunt

Shot it with fingers and instinctive

Comment

I've got a 1977 Indian with hanger wheels.

Comment

Sidekick was my first. Then a few flavors of a Super T. Still have one if them.

You may be describing the Model W.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        I used to shoot a Jennings Carbon Extreme 84lb draw weight. But that was back in the day. That thing would chrono 284 fps with a Bear 8.6 metric magnum and a 5 blade Rocky Mountain Razor BH. Gave it to my nephew after my right shoulder joint played out. Shock was hell on my bow arm elbow too. Dang thing was only 40% let off.
                        I had the same bow, but set at 70lbs.

Comment

Here's my first compound - started shooting it in 1970. Maxes out at 55 lbs, T-Handles x 5 turns on the braces is maxed at 55lbs. I worked up from a 2 turn setting as I grew to full power.

To keep it from delaminating, the t-handles have to be turned bottomed out - taking strain off the limbs for storage and transport.

If you let them get hot in a vehicle, under full tension = busted limbs.

We and a few of us shot it at the first Bownanza - no sights - instinctive out to 50 yards. It was a hoot and we chrono'd it at around 198 fps - flinging Easton XX-75 aluminum arrows with turkey feathers - finger release.

She can still put a whitetail down - just like riding an old bicycle - a recurve with a bit more oomph at release.

There's an old "can't remember the name" single pin site, on the riser. It was my long range holding pin - instinctive - lit gave me the range on the horizontal - instinctive on the arrow so it let me range long shots with hold over at targets. Tab or a hand held string release that was a strap that was held with the thumb. Let pressure off the thumb and the string dumped.

I'll find a picture of one of these old target style releases - I used for target shooting only. It has a leather wrapped metal release you held in your hand with the string wrapped over a srip of leather that held the string under tension, under the thumb. Like a back tension release with the thumb simply letting the strap release as you pulled back tension with a light thumb pressure.

The stainless steel cables, note the tiller knobs that take up tension on both strands of wire. You adjusted the knock and cable symmetry here.

Lot of stuff for a kid to learn - moving from sticks to wheels when wheels and sending men to the moon, was part of Texas back then.

Guess this makes me older than Caliche

Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-15-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Any of you want a Jennings Super T II? Picked up in Houston.

Neighbor gave me his, and I’ll never do anything with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                              Any of you want a Jennings Super T II? Picked up in Houston.

Neighbor gave me his, and I’ll never do anything with it.
                              Post a pic. I might buy it if it's in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X