Spot & Stalk Hunting in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot & Stalk Hunting in Texas?

What are y’all’s thoughts on Spot/stalk hunting with a bow or handgun in Texas? Experiences, good, bad, tips,etc?

I hunt a rugged area south of Rocksprings. It is very rocky so being quiet is a challenge. Who has tried this and been successful?

I have done it for whitetails, pigs, axis, and nilgai on low fence places and lots of exotics on high fence places. It can be done! If you can kill a pronghorn or dall sheep with a bow then for sure you can kill stuff in the hill country. You just have to pick your battles. Use terrain, cover and wind to your advantage. Go slow! Really helps to be effective at shooting out to 60-80 yards but my furthest axis and whitetails in Texas have been 50-60 yards.

Comment

Docmay thanks for the feedback. I am a little wary of animals jumping the shot when the bow goes off at those yardages. I guess a breeze on the face, calm animal, and quiet bow go a long way. What has been your experience with animals jumping the shot? Are most of your shots on feeding animals or bedded?

Comment

After deer season I spot & stalk for pigs. Average bow shots are about 20-40 yards. I would say it is fairly easy after you do it a few times. Walk, stop, listen....go after them from downwind. On many occasions I am able to get out in front of them. They basically walk in to a shooting lane for me. It is a blast. After deer season I am going to try and video my hunts while stalking. Do not let the rocks worry you. Where I hunt it is very rocky. Just have to take extra precautions. Have fun with it.

Comment

I am with Doc , spot and stalk is easily done if you learn how to use everything to your advantage, wind , noise, ect, I have had some hunters arrow some nice pronghorn with spot and stalking, sitting in a box or tree over feeders is a Texas thing. Only way to hone your skills is just trying, practice your shooting skills in different types of stances as well
          Best of luck

Comment

I used to spot and stalk pigs in the same area where Byron does. I now do it up in the shinnery area north of Abilene. Sandy where we are though. Easier to step quietly but thick enough in some areas it's hard to stalk through the brush. So I mowed a bunch of crossing lanes this year to try and make it easier. Spot and stalk for deer with a longbow is tougher but if you just want to shoot A deer it can be done. Now on a mature buck it's beyond my abilities.
            Biggest thing in deer season is the deer you are bumping around, the other hunters and hunting areas you are disturbing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The most fun way, and often the most productive way to hunt hogs.

Comment

Very fun to spot & stalk pigs especially at night with a longbow.

Comment

Working...
                X