Homemade Ceviche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Ceviche

My wife and I got married in Mexico April 30th, 2017. During the trip, we had a boat ride to another part of the coast and a seafood feast...boy was it a feast. Something I had never heard of before was Ceviche. (Keep in mind I grew up sheltered, or at least did not see many parts of the world outside of Arlington.)

What an experience... so for our 4th anniversary trip I wanted to make homemade ceviche with some fresh Redfish I caught straight out of the ocean... here is that recipe.

Ingredients
    1 lbs of fish
    1 cup lime juice
    1 cucumber
    2 avocados
    2 roma tomatoes
    1 sweet onion
    1/2 of a bunch of cilantro
    2 seeded jalapeƱos
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    Tostadas
    Lime flavored mayo

Step 1, whiff on catching redfish and go with 1 lbs of the frozen shrimp you bought as a plan B. Thaw the shrimp e ought to where you can dice it to where it is about a cube... one shrimp is about 3 to 5 pieces.
    Step 2, once shrimp is diced and in a bowl, pour 1 cup of lime juice over it. Marinate for 2 hours. The acid "cooks" the fish or shrimp.
    Step 3, while fish or shrimp is marinating, dice the rest of the ingredients a bit smaller than the fish or shrimp cubes you made. Combine and mix.
    Step 4, take the fish or shrimp out and pour with lime juice over the mixture and further combine.

Bam, done.

Now, in Mexico they taught us how to eat it...

Take a tostada and spread lime flavored mayo on it... take the ceviche and place a scoop on the tostada. It will crumble so have a plate to catch it.

This recipe took us all back to that wedding trip. Enjoy.

Could someone please move to recipes? Thank you

Comment

Thanks. I love ceviche minus the cucumber.

Comment

Never ate it with mayo, just a scoop on tortilla chip or cracker (Ritz), used chopped red onion and no cucumber

Made some recently with crappie and folks at work murdered it

Comment

Speckled Trout works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I add a little pineapple and orange juice to the lime juice to add some sweetness.

Comment

We use flounder or snapper when we have it but the recipe is almost exactly the same. Great stuff

Comment

Sounds good!!

One of the best meals I’ve ever ate was several years ago on vacation in Playa Del Carmen. We chartered a fishing boat one day and the first Mahi we caught was still flopping on deck when one of the hands cut it up and made ceviche. Like you, I had never ha sit before. It was pretty freaking cool sitting there eating that fish in the middle of the ocean not 10 minutes after we reeled it in.

Comment

Sounds a wisome!! Where are the pics??

Comment

Got to try this. Thanks

Comment

I really enjoy ceviche!!! Great stuff.

Comment

We cheat and use the stuff Goya makes.

Chop fish, pour over and wait

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

First time I heard about Ceviche was on The Meateater.

In season 6 episode 13 Steve had his friend, Chef Eduardo Garcia, on. One of the things they did was make ceviche with white fish. He also gave the lesson on how to eat it.

Everything they cooked on that show looked good.

Comment

We hold the avocado until we are ready to serve and eat it

Comment

We love ceviche and love making it. I started doing a 50/50 lime juice/vinegar mix instead of all lime juice. ****...going to thaw out some shrimp and make a batch tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                              X