Anyone else seeing hummingbirds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else seeing hummingbirds?

For the last few weeks we have seen at least one hummingbird buzzing around our house, seems strange for them to be here this time of year.

Anyone else seeing them?

They periodically hang along the Gulf during mild winters. Typically should be in Mexico but, there's a few that loiter.

You feeding it?

Comment

All of mine left in Nov. had 3 feeders running.
      Can't wait for their return. I love watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
        They periodically hang along the Gulf during mild winters. Typically should be in Mexico but, there's a few that loiter.

You feeding it?
        Almost all our plants in our flowerbeds are hummingbird and butterfly focused, she's got plenty to eat. Firecracker plants alone should keep them fed, hummingbird hey doesn't have enough flowers right now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
          Right, they usually show up by August 15th and are gone in early November.

Love having them around, fun to watch.

Comment

They should not be around the northern part of the state at this time of year. Freezes will kill them. The biggest mistake the people make is continuing to feed them before what should be their migration. It will keep them around longer than they need to be. They become so dependent on the food source, they forget to leave. Hope that one makes it.

There is plenty of info on feeding them on the WWW. and when to stop.

Edit: for got to add smiley face ^^^.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              They should not be around the northern part of the state at this time of year. Freezes will kill them. The biggest mistake the people make is continuing to feed them before what should be their migration. It will keep them around longer than they need to be. They become so dependent on the food source, they forget to leave. Hope that one makes it.

There is plenty of info on feeding them on the WWW. and when to stop.
              With all my plants I don't even put feeders out anymore. Agree that they'll hang around longer than they should if you continue to feed them.

Comment

Mine have been gone for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                  Same here.

Comment

I haven't seen any yet but put out a feeder a few days ago. I too have many plantings for attracting them. I had quite a fall this past year. Video and some pics below. As you can probably imagine, I'm awaiting their return.

Hummingbird Album

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlTenKmwJRk"]Feeding hummingbirds Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Leucistic hummingbird
                    by Bill Morris, on Flickr

A rufous

Rufous hummingbird

Ruby Throated Hummingbirds

Ruby throated hummingbird

Another female

Comment

Have one out again this morning. I just assumed with the cold snap we had the past few days they would have moved on.

Comment

Wow. Those are amazing pics

Comment

None here south of forney

Comment

Yall should check out the hummingbird drones, kinda neat and scary all at the same time.

Comment

Love them hummers. We planted Jack Beans last year and they really worked them purple flowers over. They liked them so much they slowed down on my 4 feeders. Once the Jack Bean flowers were gone they moved on south. We also had zinnias and other flowers they like but they preferred the Jack Beans or Hyacinth bean. These are great to plant along fences or a trellis.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X