Need a little welder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little welder help

I know how to weld and used to do it for a living when I worked for Sooner Trailer. My question is what is the best budget welder on the market you have seen? Northern Tool has what looks to be a pretty nice little Hobart and Lincoln for about $360. They also have Lincoln Century that says it will do up to 1/4' for $210. Keep in mind I do not do a lot of welding and need one that will plug into a normal plug in. Just projects that come up once in a while. I recently built a feeder with a coworkers welder (picture below). Im not sure what one he has. I am unable to use his any longer as he has passed. Is there a cheaper on that I should look at? The thickest I will be welding on in probably 1/4".

Last edited by bowaddict40; 09-08-2021, 12:13 PM.

I have a Titanium Mig 140 from Harbor Freight. It works well for me. Had a friend use and he really liked it too.

Comment

I have a used Millermatic 135 and it plugs into a 110 wall outlet. Very handy

Comment

This is the one that I am really looking at. It looks like it will fit all of my needs and at a really reasonable price.

Comment

Stick or mig?

Comment

Hobart seem to be fine. Shows that one can weld up to 3/16. So not to bad for little things.
            Most machines would need 220v for any thicker stuff anyways

Comment

Shows to be gasless. I would prefer Gas, gasless flux core welds pretty rough. But if your looking for reasonable priced and no bottle etc then get it.
              Last edited by j.trevor123; 09-08-2021, 01:03 PM. Reason: Change

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                Stick or mig?
                Mig. I can use a stick if I have to but you dont want to look at it. LOLOL

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
                Hobart seem to be fine. Shows that one can weld up to 3/16. So not to bad for little things.
                Most machines would need 220v for any thicker stuff anyways
                I have been watching videos and reading reviews and it looks like it will fit my needs. I dont see myself doing anything thicker than that. Small projects are all I do.

Comment

I have several welders, stick and mig. I find myself using that $100 harbor freight 110 mig more than anything else. it light and easy to move around.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                    This is the one that I am really looking at. It looks like it will fit all of my needs and at a really reasonable price.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1842_200711842
                    Up your budget slightly and get the Hobart 140. You’ll run out of welder very quickly with that 100. The 140 will run on a typical home outlet easily, and is considerably more welder for not much more money. I’ve got a 140, 230 Ironman, and Champ 225, and had a Handler 210 as well. They’ve all been solid welders for the money, but I wouldn’t buy anything less than the Handler 140.

Comment

I would try to shoot for a Multi-Voltage welder that you can run on 120 or 240. The 120 volt machines are ok for 1/8" and under material, but even then, the duty cycle will frustrate you. I would not even touch that flux-core machine that you mentioned. I hate running flux core with a passion for the majority of applications. Even if you want to run flux core to start off, at least get a machine that is capable of running shielding gas in the future.

We've got a couple of the Millermatic 211's in our shop that have literally had tons of wire through them. I would highly recommend them for a smaller, mobile mig welder if you can get to that price range. The comparable Hobart machine would likely be a good machine as well since Hobart is owned by Miller. I've got two Lincoln Powermig 260 machines in our shop also that are good machines, but all my guys and myself prefer the Miller Mig machines we have. (Millermatic 210,211, and 250s)
                      Last edited by Raider4044; 09-08-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        Up your budget slightly and get the Hobart 140. You’ll run out of welder very quickly with that 100. The 140 will run on a typical home outlet easily, and is considerably more welder for not much more money. I’ve got a 140, 230 Ironman, and Champ 225, and had a Handler 210 as well. They’ve all been solid welders for the money, but I wouldn’t buy anything less than the Handler 140.
                        Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                        I would try to shoot for a Multi-Voltage welder that you can run on 120 or 240. The 120 volt machines are ok for 1/8" and under material, but even then, the duty cycle will frustrate you. I would not even touch that flux-core machine that you mentioned. I hate running flux core with a passion for the majority of applications. Even if you want to run flux core to start off, at least get a machine that is capable of running shielding gas in the future.

We've got a couple of the Millermatic 211's in our shop that have literally had tons of wire through them. I would highly recommend them for a smaller, mobile mig welder if you can get to that price range. The comparable Hobart machine would likely be a good machine as well since Hobart is owned by Miller. I've got two Lincoln Powermig 260 machines in our shop also that are good machines, but all my guys and myself prefer the Miller Mig machines we have. (Millermatic 210,211, and 250s)
                        I understand what you both are saying and I may step up to the 125 but I think the 140 is more than I want to spend to do projects around the house a couple of times a year. I just cant make myself spend $500+ for something I will use so little.

Comment

I have a Hobart EZ 125 Handler and I built my 20X50 building with it. Had some people question the strength of my welds with the welder but the building and lean-to made it through hurricane Harvey!!!!

Comment

I bought a hobart 140 off of here and use it quite a bit. I would recommend it.

Comment

If you’re around Houston you can always use my Miller 180. It’s a great little welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X