No announcement yet.

3/4 ton truck gas or diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owned power strokes for 16 years and switched to a gas 6.2l f250 last year. Oil changes are $60 full synthetic every 6k miles. I love the truck and still get 14mpg plus it’s quiet and steers like a 1/2 ton but still pulls boat well just gets horrible mpg when towing lol

Comment

Diesel all day

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
        I want to know where you guys are getting your oil changed. my 2019 f350 cost $460 every 2 weeks. about 2k miles and 120 hrs per week
        Geeze!!

Comment

Maintenance cost is close enough that it doesn't matter. Repair costs for breakdowns WILL cost more for a diesel with how complicated they've gotten.

With the $10k upcharge for a diesel, most will never break even on the mpg difference. That wasn't the case 20 years ago when a gasser got 10mpg, a diesel cost you $2500 extra with closer to 20mpg, and fuel was as cheap as gas. You could actually save money in the long run.

Diesels costs more, so if cost is the most important factor and you don't tow heavy often, go gas. If you tow a lot, or just like hauling butt and telling everyone you have a diesel, go diesel. There's no doubt a diesel has more power and pulls better, but unless you're using it, the only justification is you wanted it, which is fine, buy what you want.
          Last edited by jdg13; 09-08-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Can’t speak to the diesel in a 3/4 ton, but I went with the 7.3 in my F-250 tremor. Payload is 2972lbs, plenty for my needs. Has pulled everything I’ve wanted without any issues. I calculated the break even point on cost alone between diesel and gas without additional maintenance costs and came up with something like 300-400k miles! Highly doubt I’d ever keep the truck that long!

I’m in a few Super duty pages, those guys are constantly having CP4 issues and have seen more than one occasion of accidentally putting gas in the tank having to replace the entire fuel system. Some of the receipts they’ve shown for repairs on the fuel system alone are $10$-12k!! An entire new 7.3L engine is somewhere around $7-$8k.

0-60 and quarter mile times are about 1-2seconds different between the 6.7 and 7.3. The diesel is certainly needed in some applications, but for my needs the 7.3 gets the job done!

Comment

I want to know where you guys are getting your oil changed. my 2019 f350 cost $460 every 2 weeks. about 2k miles and 120 hrs per week
              Ryan Ford in Sealy oil change $120, filter change is $150 for both.

Comment

Have driven diesels the last 20 years. My next one will be gas. Tired of messing with the def systems. Right now check engine light is on. Beeps at me and says particulate filter is full. Chevy house wants 250 dollars just to diagnose. 108 thousand miles so out of warranty.

Comment

Diesel here! I don’t own a diesel for mileage , I own them for pulling ! As far as repairs go, yes , Diesels can be expensive but with all of the junk they are bolting on these big gas motors they won’t be inexpensive either. I looked at a 7.3, not scared of them 1 bit ! It’s kind of like knock off coolers being compared to Yetis- they are trying to compare them to a Yeti for a reason! With the vast majority of the want vs need of heavy duty / super duty trucks being for the most part Grocery Haulers and just a Want those gas motors are perfect!

Rtic fan myself lol

Comment

holy cow that's a lot of driving! And a lot for an oil change!

Most places around here are around $150 on my Chevy diesel for full synthetic. honestly not that much more than doing it yourself.

Comment

To me if you ever owned a diesel, you will not be happy with a gas…
                      I bought a gas truck in 2016 after always having diesels.That thing was a ****. I traded it in shortly after and I’m sticking with diesel. My brother recently went from a 19 f250 diesel to a f250 gas… He went back to a diesel after about 6 months

Comment

I do it myself. The oil changes for the 6.7 Powerstroke are the easiest of any vehicle I have ever owned. Takes less than 15 minutes, and costs less than $100 bucks.

Comment

I change my oil myself, and it cost me $85-90/per change using the good stuff. I understand the idle hours you see out here in the oilfield, but why on earth are you changing it so often? We idle our all day every day, and only change our oil every 4-5 weeks with slightly less miles. Averaging 6-7K miles a month typically, but sometimes 8-9k.

Comment

It's a company policy to get all filters changed at each oil change and where we get them done at is limited. someone broke a tab on the fuel line so they will not let us do our own anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                              Have driven diesels the last 20 years. My next one will be gas. Tired of messing with the def systems. Right now check engine light is on. Beeps at me and says particulate filter is full. Chevy house wants 250 dollars just to diagnose. 108 thousand miles so out of warranty.
                              Delete it.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBay3405 View Post
                                Delete it.
                                I am not a big delete advocate, but in this case yes delete
                                Farm truck and your part of Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X