Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which half of September should I hunt elk in NM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick to your plan. We have hunted private land in NE NM many times....primarily the early part. Many times the elk were bugling and already in large herds when we arrived on Sept 1. They don't bugle non-stop regardless of whether its early or late. I have shot more bulls in the early season than late. I do like hunting right after a full moon though.

Comment

Stick to the water holes early on. Sit and wait. Not very exciting but be patient and they will show up eventually.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've hunted OTC in Colorado a few times. Been close just never close enough. At some point I may be itching to call in a big old bull while spotting and stalking but for now sitting and waiting seems like my best bet. Hope I can share pics in September. Good luck this season y'all. Stay safe.

Comment

I’ve hunted the Jicarilla just west of there a bunch. They are super vocal end of September. I wouldn’t go early September, that seems early based on my experiences.

Comment

If your hunting private land only I would 100% be hunting second season. During the rut you will have more bulls covering ground looking for cows. So you may have some more bulls show up that aren’t there during the first two weeks. Add that into the fact they will be vocal and easier to call in it’s a no brainer to me. Ya the moon isn’t great this year BUT fall equinox is the 22n and that’s when the biggest wave of cows will come into estrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The later the better.

Comment

My opinion from hunting near there for several years is.

Public land - Hunt early and find the wallows.
                Private land - Hunt the last two weeks.

Comment

What do you have on camera so far? Any really big bulls?

If given the choice, the only reason I would hunt the first season is if I had a bull on camera that I really wanted to kill. If you don't have a target bull on camera, I would wait for the second season and see what it brings in.

Comment

When I lived in Utah and elk hunted I always went to Idaho or Colorado because I could hunt the end of September. Better chance of cooler weather and also same as turkeys it seems better when breeding has occurred and they are out looking for some strange.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                      Thanks everyone for the responses! We are in the very northern part of 51. Acreage is close to 1,000. It is a private land only tag. When I looked at the tag info it calls out two two week periods. First half and second half of the month. Elevations range from close 8700 down to about 7300 ft. Lots of pinion, scrubby oak stuff and ponderosa pines. We have four ridges that run east and west. There are about a million rubs on this place. The bulls are still in bachelor groups (cell cams confirm this). I think I'm going with my original plan. Just hunt the first two weeks and hunt water a bunch.

Yes, I have a fantastic MIL!
                      Life is blessed. Thanks all. Hopefully I'll have a bull or mulie buck to share pics this fall.

My wife is using one of the bull tags any weapon. She'll be using a gun. Probably October. Fun stuff!
                      Good luck on whatever you decide. Will be fun regardless. That second season where its at though. You'll have more bulls roaming looking for cows without a doubt. They are easier to find too, they are making more noise. Water is def an effective strategy early season though, I'd bet you get your opportunity with enough time on water if the ranch has elk living there like I bet it does. Is your any weapons tag only good for the state set seasons or any 5 day period until December 31st?

Comment

My opinion, having never hunted anywhere near there or for elk either, is that I am 100% jealous of you and hope you connect on a great bull. Will be looking forward to seeing some pics of the whole adventure. Best of luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X