Fletching correction and a poor release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching correction and a poor release

Does anyone else think larger feathers (5inch) or 4 fletch (4in x 4) is more forgiving of a poor release, versus my current 3 fletch 4 inch (RW Helical) feathers?

For more info, I’m shooting a 19inch riser Hoyt Satori with long limbs 50# @ 28. At my 31 in DL it’s pulling right at 62 on the drawboard. Arrows are full length Black Eagle vintage 350s with 100gr brass inserts and 125gr points. Broadheads are 135gr Simmons Landsharks.

With my Mcaap hunt coming up I’ve been shooting recurve every day and haven’t touched my compound.

I switched to 3 under a few years ago and dabbled in trad but it’s only been this year that I’ve sat down the compound. Anyhow, my nock point seems a little higher than I’d like but it’s been shooting Broadheads with field points at the same POI.

Here’s my question though. Every now and then, I notice I get arrows porpoising down range. The arrow corrects itself before getting to the target but I can definitely say that it’s the shots that just don’t “feel” right that tend to have that awkward flight. I am also running a clicker.

Do any of y’all think that running bigger feathers or 4 fletch would correct faster on a poor release?

Yes, they will correct faster... at the expense of some speed. As far as aerodynamics are concerned fletching is just useful drag, and adding drag will make it steer better. Just with a slower arrow.

Edited to add that arrow porpoising is usually caused by too much tension on your third finger or your index finger. It *could* be caused by fletching contact as well if you're shooting cock feather down, or shooting 4 fletch in a + configuration.

Comment

I usually shoot cock vane out in my current configuration. That does make sense on the bottom finger.

I’m actually going back to shooting with a Damascus glove because I feel the string a little easier than I do with a tab.

Thanks!

Comment

With precise tuning and a good release smaller fletches are fine. Heck, in a perfect world even a bare shaft flies straight. I continue to use three 5” fletches because they are more forgiving of my flaws especially when trying to steer a broadhead. You give up a few FPS and they may be a bit louder but I’m ok with that

Comment

Well, update. I went with a 4 fletch RW helical and I can’t say I can see much difference in POI, Broadhead or not. As expected, they do correct a little faster on a bad release on short shots.

That being said, am I just over analyzing paradox? I’ll get an arrow that seems to wobble a bit more than I like about once a session, but I’ll be danged if it doesn’t group with the rest of them.

I probably just need to stop overthinking it and shoot the darn thing.

Comment

Yep

Comment

Working...
            X