County Water, How Do I Get It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Water, How Do I Get It?

We have some land that is not serviced by county water. Multiple (15) residents along that county road have petitioned the county water district to have water run down the 2.88 mile dead end road. We were told that it may take up to three years and that the demand wasn't high enough for the county to make it a priority, not enough revenue from the project.

What can be done? There are monthly water district meetings that we can attend, is this just a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation or do we have another avenue?

Wells are upwards of $20k where we are, a county tap is $500+$15/month service fee + water usage. We all pay taxes, doesn't seem like we're getting the traction we should be.

Any help is appreciated.

You can offer to pay for the infrastructure costs of laying the new line. That might work, but pricey.

Comment

Sounds pricey.

Comment

If 15 people want water, you should just all pitch in $10k a piece and you might be able to install. I'm assuming when you say county water, you mean water supply company. I doubt taxes are being used for water system. All new lines are paid for by residents or developers. Water company will probably have a contractor they prefer so it will cost more than if you get bids. The more rural the system, the easier they are to work with.

I had a property with maxed out lines and couldn't get water. But then all of a sudden 2 meters were installed. I questioned about getting water since new meters were put in. They made me pay to run 3300 ft just to get to my property. Water companies are fun to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
          If 15 people want water, you should just all pitch in $10k a piece and you might be able to install. I'm assuming when you say county water, you mean water supply company. I doubt taxes are being used for water system. All new lines are paid for by residents or developers. Water company will probably have a contractor they prefer so it will cost more than if you get bids. The more rural the system, the easier they are to work with.

I had a property with maxed out lines and couldn't get water. But then all of a sudden 2 meters were installed. I questioned about getting water since new meters were put in. They made me pay to run 3300 ft just to get to my property. Water companies are fun to work with.
          No lie, lots of fun to work with.
          I needed water from the red dot to the blue dot. Had to pay for 2 under road bores to run the line because they didn't want to go around the corner. added about $1500 to the job, and I didn't have a choice at the time if I wanted water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water line.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	24656909

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
            If 15 people want water, you should just all pitch in $10k a piece and you might be able to install..
            This is the only option for us to get water at our place. Only its just us so the cost is solely on our pocket

Comment

The plans the county made to run water down our county road have already been made and are available online on the water district's website. Our road is phase 12 of 17. No progress has been made since phase 4 in 2011, according to the website. The entire project was already bid on and awarded to a specific company which is also published online. Just looking to see what we can do as residents to get some action on an already awarded project.

Comment

Sell a pice of property to the town mayor or sheriff, it'll get done quick. But really, not sure what else you can do to get the ball rolling

Comment

Contact your county commissioner & judge, go to a water board meeting go to a commissioner's meeting

Comment

In our area if you want to run it, you pay for that if it ain't in the plans.

Comment

Plans are made, contract bid and awarded, just no water run.....

Comment

I'd just punch a well, it makes things easier in the long run. We bought land in an area knowing that it needed a well and just planned accordingly. Even if there was water available, I'd rather have a well any day.

A lot of times the "water districts" have a hard enough time keeping up with the current demand and your taxes probably have nothing to do with them, especially if its a co-op.

Comment

A well might be an option at some point but $20k is steep right now. I agree, its the easier way, just more expensive. We also don't have power run yet and without a structure to run the power to, that's going to cost more also. Anyhow, money money money.

Comment

Sue'em...

Comment

Who is the actual water provider for your area? That's who you need to go talk to. Seriously doubt it is the County.

Comment

Working...
                              X