No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone went to TAC in San Antonio, don’t forget today is the last day to use the 15% off code with Kifaru.

I ordered my 26” lite frame and hoodlum yesterday.

Comment

Skunked again in NM!

Comment

Unsuccessful 14 years running in New Mexico...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          Unsuccessful 14 years running in New Mexico...

That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve never drawn an elk tag in my life. Deer all over but can’t draw elk to save my life

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
              I’ve never drawn an elk tag in my life. Deer all over but can’t draw elk to save my life

I bet you draw one next year [emoji848]

Comment

Drew my 3rd choice 2nd archery in New Mexico, first time applying. Probably never happen again lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Struck out in NM again. Tough place to draw a tag

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                    That sucks.

Yeah, but not so bad this year. Only applied for ultra premium elk tags and rifle ibex.

What sux is back when i was trying to draw the 'easy to draw' middle of the road archery hunts.

Probably gonna hunt elk 5 miles from my house this year.

Comment

Drew unit 37 first archery. I have familiarity with the area as I've mule deer hunted there for 6 years on private. I reached out to our private owner and hopefully have secured a sweet access point through his property. Maybe a place to camp too.

This is going to be the most expensive hunt of my life lol. I've grab a few items over the years, but basically need to fully outfit myself for a 7 day hunt. I will likely be visiting this thread often with questions as this is my first pubic hunt, first elk hunt, and first camping hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        Drew unit 37 first archery. I have familiarity with the area as I've mule deer hunted there for 6 years on private. I reached out to our private owner and hopefully have secured a sweet access point through his property. Maybe a place to camp too.

This is going to be the most expensive hunt of my life lol. I've grab a few items over the years, but basically need to fully outfit myself for a 7 day hunt. I will likely be visiting this thread often with questions as this is my first pubic hunt, first elk hunt, and first camping hunt.

I can share my packing list for AZ last year. We DIY and camped 10 days in a walled tent.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Get a big cup, coffee and a few hours then start on post #1. There’s an amazing amount of info posted on this thread.

This is a good video by Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu and what he brings. Lot’s of his product but it’s good info. RIP Jason.

Last edited by Bill; 04-22-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Rent a trailer or a wall tent.
                            Your whitetail clothes may work for you but get some merino under layers and wind breaking outers.
                            Good pack frame but doesn't have to be expensive, just fit your body well.
                            Good broken in boots for sure.

Leave your cotton clothing at home.

Not as daunting as it seems. Don't overthink it.
                            Be prepared for cold and snow though.

Comment

first camping hunt.
                              Camping as in back country camping or truck camping?

Comment

Drew first choice archery! 1st season but in a great unit. Sorry to hear about the guys that struck out. I was there last year and will be there again.

Comment

Working...
                                X