60-80 Gallon Air Compressor Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60-80 Gallon Air Compressor Recommendations

I’m starting to do some research on a shop air compressor. Not heavy use but I like things that work when I need them to.

What do y’all suggest and what should I avoid?

I've got a Speedaire. It's expensive but works great.

Comment

I have a 80 gal ingersol rand. No complaints. Have painted vehicle and ran air tools for years with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ingersoll Rand or better. Should last a lifetime!

Comment

Recently bought Kobalt 26 gallon Quiettech from Lowe’s that does everything I need and is super quiet.

Comment

I have a lowes branded kobalt and for around the house and ranch it's been fantastic especially for price point. Way better than my old craftsman

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

80 gallon, 2 stage, and 7.5 hp. is the most bang for your buck.( in single phase) Any of the major brands of that size are good. Mine is a Campbell-Hausefield.

Comment

When I was doing research ~ 10 years ago, the consensus was it doesn’t really matter so long as you’re getting a cast iron, oiled pump. There are two tiers, the single stage 60 gallon, $500-$600 homeowner type compressors, and then the $1,000-$1,200 2 stage 80 gallon units. I found Ingersoll Rand isn’t what it used to be, at least the normal “consumer grade” units.

I went with the 60 gallon harbor freight and it still works great, for several years it was in my motorcycle shop being used daily. The only thing it lags a bit in is sandblasting, otherwise it will run DA sanders, paint sprayers, and other high cfm tools continuously.

The nice thing about these is if your pump or motor dies you can change it out with whatever you want, rather than throwing away the whole unit.

I’d recommend plumbing it in with hard line (galvanized pipe or similar, don’t use PVC), a good hose reel, and just leave it charged up. Very handy compared to plugging one in an uncoiling a hose to blow something off. You need a flexible line between the compressor and plumbing setup, I had issues with them bursting until I switched to a hydraulic hose, the use the same fittings. Put a ball valve on the tank also in case you have a leak somewhere or need to service the plumbing setup without draining the whole tank.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                  When I was doing research ~ 10 years ago, the consensus was it doesn’t really matter so long as you’re getting a cast iron, oiled pump. There are two tiers, the single stage 60 gallon, $500-$600 homeowner type compressors, and then the $1,000-$1,200 2 stage 80 gallon units. I found Ingersoll Rand isn’t what it used to be, at least the normal “consumer grade” units.

I went with the 60 gallon harbor freight and it still works great, for several years it was in my motorcycle shop being used daily. The only thing it lags a bit in is sandblasting, otherwise it will run DA sanders, paint sprayers, and other high cfm tools continuously.

The nice thing about these is if your pump or motor dies you can change it out with whatever you want, rather than throwing away the whole unit.

I’d recommend plumbing it in with hard line (galvanized pipe or similar, don’t use PVC), a good hose reel, and just leave it charged up. Very handy compared to plugging one in an uncoiling a hose to blow something off. You need a flexible line between the compressor and plumbing setup, I had issues with them bursting until I switched to a hydraulic hose, the use the same fittings. Put a ball valve on the tank also in case you have a leak somewhere or need to service the plumbing setup without draining the whole tank.

Good stuff. Thank you. I don’t think Harbor Freight carries bigger air compressors anymore?

Comment

Quincey.

Comment

Working...
                    X