Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Energy

Afternoon!

Question for all the dog guys. I have a high energy dog that I take out everyday for some exercise. I'm trying to figure out a way to calm him down before company comes over, or we head to the kennel to board him. Good Dog but just has bouts of high energy that takes him out of his normal self.

Have yall found anything natural that might take the edge off? Used any of the CBD stuff?

Appreciate any input. I'm doing some research online, but wanted to see if any of you have tried anything that has failed or succeeded.

Probably doesn't respect you. Not much can be done about that.

Comment

Is he trained in any form of obedience? Hunting dogs I have been around and have had that were of the highest energy. Their training made them likable to be around.

Comment

Training the dog to behave is the easiest and most effective way.
        Or put them somewhere where they won't bother anyone/anything.
        CBD is fine, but it doesn't make the tired/or make them use the energy. It just takes the edge off for anxiety and nervousness, which is not what you're explaining your dog is doing.
        Train him to behave or put him in a place where he can't misbehave.

Comment

This lady has a pretty good youtube channel on Border Collies.
          Here is her solution to over-excited dogs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TIDvtkCZZI"]Border Collie Over Excitement - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

CBD works well but you have to see what the base is. Different oils can upset a dog's tummy.
            Melatonin works well too.
            Charlotte's web sells some good K9 products.

Comment

Hump it til it pees doesn't consist of you, the pet owner, being on all 4's.

Comment

So does a **** switch. What are yall doing feeding your dog cbd. Iron the wrinkles out of his forehead with you boot and he will calm the hell down. Embarrassed for you. Kick him until you wear both sets of knee caps. If he still acts like an *** cull him. Seriously.

You never mentioned if he was a pup or not. If he is just don't kick him as hard.
                Last edited by DWA; 11-30-2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Feed him a couple McRibs. He will be laid up

Comment

That’s why people should do their research before getting a high energy dog.

Do you work as a dog owner and train the poor dog before trying to drug him up. The dog doesn’t know what to do with its energy because YOU haven’t shown it what to do.

Comment

When u say you exercise him what is that?
                      I will run at least a mile w my lacy daily and when I say run..that's what I mean.
                      Otherwise she is revved up

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                        When u say you exercise him what is that?
                        I will run at least a mile w my lacy daily and when I say run..that's what I mean.
                        Otherwise she is revved up
                        Im on my bike and he's on a leash next to me! It works great. He is absolutely trained. He listens to me at almost all times. He sits, stays and comes when I call. I send him to his bed at night and he sleeps there all evening. Not even a crate or anything.

The only times he doesn't is when people are coming over to the house, be it Family or Friends. Or when other dogs are involved. He gets worked up and it is more of an anxiety thing.

Comment

My girlfriend has a malinois/shepherd mix out of working k-9 parents... I have never seen a dog with that much drive and energy, and we raised birddogs when I was growing up. I think he would literally run himself to death if you let him. CBD oil helped a little. 6-10 mile runs helped a little when she was training for a marathon, for about an hour. I know I will never own one.

If he is normal the rest of the time then you have somewhere to start. Is he treat driven? Does he stay hyper for a few minutes or the whole time. Is it aggressive behavior?
                          Last edited by BrianL; 11-30-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Tons of energy.....

Well we know he’s not a democrat....so you got that going for ya

Comment

Some of the comments on here... geez. Helps me know who to never have my dogs around with.

I'd recommend training him with company around. Have a family member or friend that hes not be familiar with come and visit you but warn them that you want to spend 10-15 minutes training them as soon as they walk through the door. Have him stay/heel as soon as they drive up, maintain that control as soon as they walk through the door and while in proximity in the home. Work off that and make the increments longer every time.

Your guests gotta know and respect that you have to pay attention to that dog during the first 10-15 minutes until he gets the hang of it. My dogs listen extremely well until we had company and it was like I had just brought in strays... felt like I had to train them all over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X