No announcement yet.

Killin nubbin bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just a deer...a renewable resource. Meat with the hair still on it. Shoot what makes you happy and is legal.
    My first deer was a nubbin buck but may as well been a 12 point, it was etched into my memory forever as a great time and a very exciting accomplishment.
    God bless the dads that let their children enjoy being children while they still can.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
      Well this is a trick question because it all depends on your and your conditions.

Are you on a high fence, low fence or public land?

If you only have four days to hunt this year it's the fourth day and a nubbin buck walks out at the end of your hunt, BLAST IT. If it's the first day of your hunt and it's the first thing that walks out I would pass.

On of the rules I try to follow with taking people out is give them your advice and then let them make their decision and support them. If you have the shot and you want to shoot it then make the shot. It sucks to tell someone to hold for a minute and then miss out on a shot opportunity all together.
      This. It depends on the ranch, how many fawns, how many deer (overpopulated or not), your buck/doe ratio, and other factors.

But if they're going to kill a young buck it may as well be a nubbin. Better than a medium 6-8 pointer thats 2.5 once you see it has potential.

Comment

It is entirely possible to teach a kid patience and how to have a good time in the woods without killing something. My personal opinion is if you would not allow an adult to shoot it, then why let kids?

Comment

Nubbin or spike, its a 1st deer and a trophy they will never forget. Congrats to all.

Comment

You don’t want to shoot buck fawns if you’re trying to harvest does but I wouldn’t want to make the kids feel bad.
            If they were being guided by adults then I would tell the adults no more buck fawns.
            We often tell doe hunters to shoot does with fawns. It’s easy to know it’s a doe when it has a baby with it.

Comment

Super tender and you can taste mommas milk on every bite!!!

Comment

Realistically speaking unless you are hunting on a pretty large chunk of land or it is high fenced that young buck is going to disperse from the property when he reaches sexual maturity anyway. Killing it is taking a buck out of the herd yes, but not likely going to have any effect on what you see in the coming years unless it is high fence or you can hunt most of the land within a 2 mile ish radius.
                Butttt hunting rules of the owner or leasee should be obeyed

Comment

I say no, but I'll do me and y'all can do you. Life seems easier that way. Fortunately I took my sons somewhere you couldn't throw a rock without killing a deer, so I wasn't faced with this decision. I still think I'd say no though.

Comment

I agree with Dusty Britches.
                    My opinion is at a young age; that's a good opportunity for kids to learn the difference between hunting and killing (delayed gratification)....

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      It's just a deer...a renewable resource. Meat with the hair still on it. Shoot what makes you happy and is legal.
                      My first deer was a nubbin buck but may as well been a 12 point, it was etched into my memory forever as a great time and a very exciting accomplishment.
                      God bless the dads that let their children enjoy being children while they still can.
                      This is where I am. However, I understand there is a fine line between teaching them to hunt and letting them kill everything.
                      I view it as my kid is my hunting partner. Wakes up early, puts in the works, waits a while, gets to shoot a deer or not.
                      I don't care what he shoots as long as he wants to come back, especially the first time few times we went. If you start them young, there is plenty of time to teach them to difference in hunting and killing. Let's get some blood on our hands first, then we'll hunt.
                      They grow up so dang fast anyway. The outdoors is where I really want it to slow down and teach him to enjoy God's creations.

I love baseball and he plays, but he has no intention of going back to a big league game anytime soon. Too much down time for him. 2 innings an hour is pretty slow. I do not want that to happen with hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        They will grow up and always remember a seasoned hunter let them shoot a baby lol.

First deer my butt! We all talk on here daily about management and growing bigger better deer. Then some of y’all let the first 6 month old deer that walks out be killed by a kid. Teach them to hunt and to know the difference in a nubbin and a mature buck. Let them shoot a doe. If they don’t see a doe then let them go home empty handed. They will survive.
                        I 100% agree with this. My daughter was blessed to get her 1st deer this weekend and it was a cull buck. She is only 8 but no way was I going to let her just shoot the first deer that walked out unless it was something I thought we should take. If it was a big mature doe then we would of shot that instead. We passed up 4 bucks Saturday and 4 more on sunday before the right one came out. I don't want her to think that we can just jump in the stand and get to shoot the first one that comes out. I want her to enjoy the experience of the hunt and learn how to be a little management minded. That's just my $.02.

Comment

Wouldn’t worry in the least. Especially for a kid. Shooting tomorrow’s trophy’s today.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                            super tender and you can taste mommas milk on every bite!!!
                            yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My first deer was a “spike” so I get it. Congrats to the young hunters on their first deer!

Comment

They got 5 tags just like everybody else.....welcome to the if it's brown, it's down club!

Comment

Working...
                                X