TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The picture above is of my 5 month old bloodhound Georgie on her second live track. The pig ran about 50 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by meangene1969 View Post
        Well the pups are continuing to grow and hard at work on the training. They are doing great and are proud of there accomplishments!

Man they have grown fast!! I remember you posting pics when you first got em and they have grown into some good looking dogs. Hows the training coming and any pointers? Fixn to get started with the new pup and trying not to screw it up

Comment

I would say take your time, be patient and stay positive. I can tell you this group of guys here told me to use food as a reward and man it works. Freckles and Furgie are doing 150 to 250 yard trails some days are better than other but they always work hard.

Comment

Originally posted by meangene1969 View Post
            I would say take your time, be patient and stay positive. I can tell you this group of guys here told me to use food as a reward and man it works. Freckles and Furgie are doing 150 to 250 yard trails some days are better than other but they always work hard.
            Thanks for the tips and I am ready to get started. Did they both learn pretty much at the same pace?

Comment

When yall say make them earn their food are yall making them earn every meal? I understand yall are using the food as a reward at the end of the trail but are yall running trails every day? Sorry for the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                When yall say make them earn their food are yall making them earn every meal? I understand yall are using the food as a reward at the end of the trail but are yall running trails every day? Sorry for the questions.

I think I remember Tuco running trails every morning with his catahoula, but I didn't with mine. I would run one twice a week and on those days just wait to feed him until after his track

Comment

The both learned pretty fast but it is challenging training two at a time. I keep one in the kennel till the other one is done. My male is more of a nose to the ground where the female is a winder. I run trails early or in the evenings when I would normally feed them. I put their meal at the end of the track with deer hide. I want them to know there is a reward when they get to the end.

Comment

Appreciate the help guys. Ran her first mock trail this morning and she did decent...got distracted a few times but thats to be expected I guess. Took her a few minutes but she followed it to the end and gobbled up her food. Had to put her back on the trail a few times.

Comment

That's great. They get distracted at first but there will be a day where it just clicks. Then it's on.

Comment

So I tried to start training my JRT mix but he was too afraid of firearms. He would see a rifle or handgun and it was instant panic mode so I am not pushing it.

Recently we took in a Weim from a post here on TBH from Sika and she is going to be great I feel. I see her move around with her nose all day and I think I can harness that drive to sense everything out!

^^^ there is our "Lacy" the kids heard me say lacy when we were trying to figure out her breed and they loved that name so it has stuck.

Really have bonded with her since we got her! She is the sweetest thing and really seems happy with us and her new home!

Going to try some mock trails soon with a treat at the end, she is a crazy chewer (mostly just her treats) so I know she will work hard to get to them.

Comment

She is a great navigator and loves going to the deer camp.

Comment

My little pup is slowly getting better and picking up on what I want her to do. The longest mock trail we have done so far is about 50-60 yards and shes making short work of it. The first time I threw in a 90 it threw her off for awhile but she figured it out with a little help. So far I am very pleased with her progress and will start stepping up the the distance soon.

Comment

I tried to run G-Dog at least 3 times a week.

And always very early in the morning when it's nice and cool.

In many cases there is dew on the grass which helps the dog as well.

Every time I ran Gumbo on a mock trail, his food was the reward at the end.

If I had scrap deer meat available I would throw in a few small chunks as well.

The hide is great to have at trails end, but I believe the food reward is a better motivator.
                              Last edited by TUCO; 06-13-2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

My little pup is slowly getting better and picking up on what I want her to do. The longest mock trail we have done so far is about 50-60 yards and shes making short work of it. The first time I threw in a 90 it threw her off for awhile but she figured it out with a little help. So far I am very pleased with her progress and will start stepping up the the distance soon.
                                That's great

Comment

Working...
                                X