Getting a lab--Male or Female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a lab--Male or Female?

My sister's lab just had pups. I get second pick. I've been wanting a duck dog for a few years now. Not sure if I want a male of female. I don't want a headstrong dog, but I don't want to sacrifice drive. I know its tough to tell at 6 weeks, and all dogs are different, but I'd like to hear some opinions. \

Thanks
    SAC

without a doubt FEMALE dogs are easier to trane and are better behaved.

Comment

A lab?! Why not a gsp?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
        without a doubt FEMALE dogs are easier to trane and are better behaved.
        x2

Comment

I love my male lab but the next one will be female..I could have probably "fixed" him, never did, might skew my opinion, but he seems more stubborn than the females I've had in the past, still a great dog, just the hormones get the best of him a lot of the time

Comment

Originally posted by krtnorris View Post
            A lab?! Why not a gsp?
            Because my sisters lab didn't have gsp's.

Comment

Male

Comment

I learned this go around that puppies will very seldom show enough in a litter at that age to base a lifetime of personality on. About the only thing I would do is hang out with them as much as you can, maybe take a pigeon wing or clipped wing pigeon and see how they react. If you want drive, either will work, but again, you won't know until training starts. Yes males can be headstrong, but if you know how to train them and harness the energy, you will be fine. The female usually takes less pressure in training and is generally more laid back, but this can be a misnomer sometimes as well. Then there is the heat cycle, which I will be dealing with soon as well. The best advice I can give you on any pup is to get a program either with a book or on DVD and religiously stick to it with the utmost consistency. Some are expensive, but I would not skimp. I have gone that route before and holes develop in training. Even if you just want a good old duck dog, get a program. Trust me. You will be more frustrated in not knowing how to give it basic skills, such as obedience training. There is nothing that torpedoes a hunt quicker than a dog that whines and will not listen or sit still. Anyway, just my .02 for what it's worth. One pup will just naturally gravitate to you. He/She will choose you. Get a Program. I could make some recommendations if you like.

Comment

Sac if it were i would get all the female pups aside and throw in a bird wing. I think you will be able to pick out the pup you want.

Comment

I had the same concerns when I bought my current lab Zeke. My first lab was a female and training her was easy. She has always been a good calm dog with lots of retrieving drive. I could not find a female, so I went with a male. Zeke is just as good or better in all categories compared to my old female Chica. Only down side to getting a male is that he has to pee on EVERYTHING, but in return I do not have to put up with heat cycles.

Comment

IMO males are better if their nuts stay intact, but If you want a dog that is fixed get a female, females don't seem to be as affected from being fixed, males seem to loose some of thier drive. that is my .02

Comment

The heat cycle is probably the only thing that has me questioning a female. I plan to have a training program. I really don't want just a good old duck dog. I have hunted with enough of them.

Comment

FEMALE. no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                            IMO males are better if their nuts stay intact, but If you want a dog that is fixed get a female, females don't seem to be as affected from being fixed, males seem to loose some of their drive. that is my .02
                            I would fix the female after I got a litter out of her. That's just something that my pa always did.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                              Because my sisters lab didn't have gsp's.
                              OIC

Female

Comment

Working...
                              X