Metal Workers - Opinions on Milwaukee metal circular saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Workers - Opinions on Milwaukee metal circular saw

I'm needing a way to cut 1/4" plate steel and after some research, I'm considering one of these. Any of you have experience with this tool? From the sound of things, its almost as easy as running a circular saw on plywood. Thoughts? is there a better option? These are running about $375 and I'd like to stay in that price range for some kind of cutting option. Please help!

I've never personally used a dry cut saw, but I have heard good things about that Milwaukee. If you're not working with metal everyday, those are probably the way to go. Torches are expensive, and always a hassle.

Comment

^^^^^what Arrowthreat said

Comment

I am a hobbyist. I had a saw similar to this one. it worked good for thinner metals, but my experience was the blade dulled quickly on thicker stuff (1/4" range), and the blades are very expensive.

Comment

Thanks, fellas. Really leaning this way. May get a lot of use per project, but only a big project or two a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            I am a hobbyist. I had a saw similar to this one. it worked good for thinner metals, but my experience was the blade dulled quickly on thicker stuff (1/4" range), and the blades are very expensive.
            How many cuts before needing replacement, you think?

Comment

My buddy that has one said the blade life is pretty comparable to a chop saw blade/wheel. The only difference is that the blades are a lot more expensive for a dry cut saw. I don't weld everyday, but if I did, I would consider one to use in lieu of my chop saw and torch.

Comment

I used to use one of these to cut alum plate . We normally cut 1/4 - 3/4" thick plate in a full 8' long sheet . We used the same milwaukee saw the entire 5 years I was at that job and never had any issues. Based on the types of machines we were building this thing was used every day. We also cut a lot of 1" phenolic with the same saw. Never cut any steel with ours but we abused the heck out of that thing with aluminum and phenolic the 5 years I was there. Don't know if that helps at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
                  How many cuts before needing replacement, you think?
                  honestly i'm not sure on that thickness. most of my cuts were in thinner stuff, but they seemed to dull quickly when i did cut thicker metal There may be better blades now, my experience was 6-8 years ago. I have a friend that has a chop saw with that type of blade and it lasts pretty good for crosscuts on tubing and angle iron. and they cut very clean

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                    I used to use one of these to cut alum plate . We normally cut 1/4 - 3/4" thick plate in a full 8' long sheet . We used the same milwaukee saw the entire 5 years I was at that job and never had any issues. Based on the types of machines we were building this thing was used every day. We also cut a lot of 1" phenolic with the same saw. Never cut any steel with ours but we abused the heck out of that thing with aluminum and phenolic the 5 years I was there. Don't know if that helps at all.
                    I'm too rookie to know on the metals, but it seems safe to say that the saw got some serious use. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I have the Milwaukee metal saw and it works great. I have had it for over 10 years and it still works perfectly. I use it almost every day in my welding shop cutting anything from 16 gauge to 1/2" plate. The milwaukee blades are the best but the Diablo steel demon are very good at half the cost. The blades last me a month or so when mostly cutting thinner stuff. It is best to go slow and not force it.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
                        I have the Milwaukee metal saw and it works great. I have had it for over 10 years and it still works perfectly. I use it almost every day in my welding shop cutting anything from 16 gauge to 1/2" plate. The milwaukee blades are the best but the Diablo steel demon are very good at half the cost. The blades last me a month or so when mostly cutting thinner stuff. It is best to go slow and not force it.
                        Glad to hear it. I found one at Northern Tool for $320. I think I'm gonna go snag it.

Comment

Check out Eastwood. I bought their plate cutter a while back and it was great on 1/4" plate. Think it was in the $100 range. Eastwood mini-metal saw.
                          Last edited by RR 314; 12-17-2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I built a whole trailer smoker with just a circular saw with a metal blade on it. Probably went thru 3 blades. Pit is 3/8"

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have this one and it works great. The only complaint I have is you can't see the blade when cutting. I have always watched the blade when cutting with a skil saw, but with this its all covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X