Custom rattling horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
    My hands always appreciate it when the brow tines are removed for rattling antlers. Those look good though!
    Same. But those look great.

Comment

I watched a video once of a guy who did this. One of the things he commented on was the sound produced by older antlers. As they dry out, they make a diff sound. He would once a year soak his overnight in olive oil or some type of cooking oil and then hang them for a few days to drip dry. He claimed that would give them a heavier louder sound. No idea if he was full of crap or not, but it seemed legit. Good work btw.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
        I watched a video once of a guy who did this. One of the things he commented on was the sound produced by older antlers. As they dry out, they make a diff sound. He would once a year soak his overnight in olive oil or some type of cooking oil and then hang them for a few days to drip dry. He claimed that would give them a heavier louder sound. No idea if he was full of crap or not, but it seemed legit. Good work btw.
        Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
          I soak mine every year in October for about 2-3 days in a 5 gallon bucket of water. They will hold that heavy sound for a few weeks.

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Very nice. What brand of contact cement did you use? Did you end up using a lot? How do they seem to be holding up?

Comment

Originally posted by Dspivey View Post
                Very nice. What brand of contact cement did you use? Did you end up using a lot? How do they seem to be holding up?
                I'll have to look when I get home. I bought it at Lowe's I think. Obviously I have not used them yet, but they seem to be holding up well.

I painted two coats onto the antler, and stretched out the leather wrap and did my best to paint some on the back of it. I wrapped it as tight as I could and let it cure. Then I took a rubber mallet and tapped all around wrap to help it adhere.

I added some cement where the wrap started and stopped to make sure those areas had extra protection

Comment

Been working on improving my process.

I bought a belt sander and have a set working now that looks much better. the grips go on better with the brow tines removed, the ends cut off, and the antler rounded off.

I found a guy to engrave too and he does a great job.

He has my latest set that I am doing for my best friend. His will have his ranch name engraved on one antler and his brand on the other.

Here is my original set with my initials engraved.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those are cool! Nicely done

ac

Comment

Those are a great set of horns. You will make many memories with those

I have had same set for 35 years.!

Comment

Latest set

OK, here is my latest set.

These have cut off brows, cut of ends, rounded handles and are engraved.

I think they came out a lot better than previous ones.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I like that engraving idea. Looks pretty good.

Comment

I think they look great

Comment

Turned out really cool, nice work!

ac

Comment

Looks dang good!

Comment

Working...
                                X