Horse Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse Bows

Am I the only one who uses a horse bows, or are there others here?

I'd like to try a shorter bow (<60"). Horse bow might be a place to start!

But at the moment I don't have one. Show a pic!

Comment

In the last 5 years I've only seen one at a TBOT competition. And it was being used by a youth.

Comment

My love of Horse Bows has been stretched thin over the years. In the end, I've come to conclude that they are like a specialized hammer. 8# Sledges are good for power, 16 oz claw hammers are good for dimensional lumber work, Wooden mallets have their place in carpentry, Round wooden mallets when I'm doing masonry carving.

The horsebow is not designed for accuracy, but offering a platform for rapid fire at moving targets, and short quarters. A horsebow has no shelf, it forces the archer to learn instinctive shooting. At GRXH I was able to loose 3 shots on a running hog.

The instinctive shooting part really tested my mental game. I hated it. Despised the lack of sight pins, shelf, or reference points. But over a year of practice, and I finally understood. The subconscious does the ballistic math on aiming, all you do is look where you want to hit, and the muscle memory does the rest. No aiming needed, and miraculously the arrow flies true.

The drawback is precision, a compound or longbow will be more accurate on a standing deer, but horse bow is king of the hill for moving targets.

Comment

I got a Saluki Damascus - while I was in the N. Dallas area I met up a couple of guys that were part of a horse bow association. Do you use a thumb ring? I have one but need to file it open a bit more ... holiday's and covid weight

It's been some time since I consistently practiced with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeekeeper View Post
            My love of Horse Bows has been stretched thin over the years. In the end, I've come to conclude that they are like a specialized hammer. 8# Sledges are good for power, 16 oz claw hammers are good for dimensional lumber work, Wooden mallets have their place in carpentry, Round wooden mallets when I'm doing masonry carving.

The horsebow is not designed for accuracy, but offering a platform for rapid fire at moving targets, and short quarters. A horsebow has no shelf, it forces the archer to learn instinctive shooting. At GRXH I was able to loose 3 shots on a running hog.

The instinctive shooting part really tested my mental game. I hated it. Despised the lack of sight pins, shelf, or reference points. But over a year of practice, and I finally understood. The subconscious does the ballistic math on aiming, all you do is look where you want to hit, and the muscle memory does the rest. No aiming needed, and miraculously the arrow flies true.

The drawback is precision, a compound or longbow will be more accurate on a standing deer, but horse bow is king of the hill for moving targets.
            Hog wash!!! The long bow is just as accurate period! The shorter bow Is easier to maneuver riding a horse. That’s all. As for moving targets well those that know me have probably shot my fling turkey. And hit it by the way. Did you hit the running hog three times in a row. Video . It’s better to play one good clean guitar note than a hundred sloppy ones. Arvin

Comment

Any bow is only as accurate as the shooter - doesn't matter what kind of bow or for that matter any type of weapon where it's controlled by a user...even in video games LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                Any bow is only as accurate as the shooter - doesn't matter what kind of bow or for that matter any type of weapon where it's controlled by a user...even in video games LOL!
                True but good shooters won’t shoot slow shocky bows. I know they did not shoot mine right off the bat. 😀😀😀

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                  True but good shooters won’t shoot slow shocky bows. I know they did not shoot mine right off the bat. 😀😀😀
                  HAHA!

I really like the H. Hill Longbows - a while back I made one from instructions I got from a bowyer up in the Great Lakes area...forgot the name...I still regret trading it for a recurve - this is a great time to start making one again!

Comment

I love everything about Howard Hill but his bows. Shock with them also. Just my opinion. We know what those are worth! ����

Comment

IMO...using a horsebow... its not appropriate...
                      Unless...
                      ...your screaming
                      ...on a horse...donkey will suffice
                      ...intend to actively pillage and plunder
                      ...starting structure fires
                      ...wearing a loin cloth
                      ...ready to sow your seed with captured women folk

Okay okay...somewhat appropriate for GRXH.

Comment

Working...
                      X