No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying off island ave right on the water in Port izzy. Checked today it's exactly 1 hour from driveway here to parking spot on the CR. Not too bad. You just gotta eat it and leave early for this hunt I guess. I kinda like the long drive in real slow. It feels like a a big South Texas ranch.

Comment

Ok day one report, scouting day. Man I learned alot being my first time out there. It's really dry and hard out there right now which is nice for bike riding, any softness at all and you would be screwed for biking. Got one thorn in my double lined self sealing tire inner tube combo. Lucky for me it was a really thin thorn and it sealed right away. Saw 2 other guys with flats, I have never seen such a hostile area for tires. No matter what you bring bike wise be warned it's harsh out there and rough even on the roads. I road 14 miles today and that was too much honestly, I think soreness will exist tomorrow

Game report: As son as we passed the visitors center we saw 3 bucks moving though an open area (See pic) I ranged the farthest one at 300 after guessing he was 220, it's tough to gauge distance out here and I am usually pretty good at that. 2 bucks were at least 8 points and one had a big body, I would have shot him if it was a hunting day I saw him again. Once we passed Lutes camp road I biked in at bobcat rd. (BAD thorns on Bobcat) I saw a total of 7 does one I could have killed easily with a bow. None were skittish nothing like my lease in east Texas where they bolt to the next county at a broken twig. These deer were dumb. Best buck I saw all day was chasing one of the does, obviously a booty call so the rut is on. He was big horns medium body looked non typical but I did not get that long a look at him. No doubt shooter though. Saw 0 nilgai but lots of sign everywhere. There is game out there in all units so don't get too hung up on where you choose to go hunt. Tons of birds and small animals.

Almost all the guys I met out there were also in groups of 3. Thats cool since it means everyone will have help. Everyone I met real nice and happy to be there.

Everyone is using big guns. Lots of 300's and 338's. I brought a single shot .444 Marlin. Lots of power but I wish I would have brought my .264 Win Mag, it would have been a better choice given the ranges (200-600 yard shots),
      but I bet I can make do with the triple 4

I will keep ya'll posted tomorrow when the slaying begins. Met a cool younger US fish and wildlife officer and he said the heli hunt last year did not get enough Nilgai and numbers are the highest he has ever seen out there. He said feel no pain kill lots. One would make me happy. They should just turn the whole place into a state hunting reserve year round to give more people a chance to hunt but thats another thread.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
          Where do all the alligators live out there? I’ve been down there 3 times but I’ve never laid eyes on one...
          I found a den and several babies laying around it in Unit 3 couple years ago.

Comment

Ok day 2 report first hunt day:

Total game animals:
            Does:9
            8 point:1
            6 point:2
            forkhorn:1
            spike:1
            Pigs: 1 huge boar
            Nilgai: 2 I think
            Bobcats:2
            Quail:8
            Wow what a day of hunting I saw a ton of game animals and birds. The weather was overcast all day but it only rained lightly for 5 min all day. Too warm and humid though, not what I am used to for December hunting.
            That being said all the action was first thing in the morning and last hour just like most places. I had only been there 15 minutes when I saw a cat come out of the brush 35 yard from me. My heart leapt thinking it was an Ocelot at first as it was still basically dark. But no it was a Bobcat who proceeded to take a fat ****e right in the middle of the Sendero. Thanks for the cover sent **** I would have JFK'ed that feline anywhere else on earth besides a cat sanctuary. 5 Min later I see a Blob 300+ yards away at the treeline that was not there before. I raise my rifle which I did not know at the time but was parlax set for 200. All I could see in the darkness was blob squarish in shape and black. I only had a couple seconds and just did not feel like I could make a decent shot so I did not blast. I got up as soon as it melted into the brush and ran down to the point it had entered, but nothing, not a trace. Pretty sure it was 2 Nilgai. I saw movement so I know it was not just shadows but thats about all I know. Oh well kept hunting and kept seeing game cross my lane but nothing I cared to shoot. A forkhorn who was super curious came within 10 feet of me on his own. Boy was he dumb, I doubt he makes it another bow season lol. About an hour before dark I see a nice young 8 come out into the lane and make a turn with his nose down I could have shot him but he was barely 13" and just figured best to let him walk. So I did but 30min later I heard 2 rifle shots about 5 min apart come from the direction he was walking. IDK if it was him or not but they sounded like misses. Those were the only 2 shots I heard all day and no one else I talked with shot anything either. Pretty slow day for the rifle opener. My dad and brother also saw deer but no nilgai and no shooters. Tomorrow is the day, going to be better set and connect. Tons of sign everywhere all species, their out there. I wil post more pics and another update tomorrow.

Comment

Luke - thanks for the updates - I didn't get drawn this year but I like reading your updates ... reminds me of the last couple of times I was down there - super place ... a phenomenal place for birding!

Comment

How goes it Luke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Thursday scouting day was great. Saw 4 bulls, 6-7 cows, a 10-12 pointer, and a huge armadillo at the northern end. Had a great time riding around the area. Found some possible spots to hunt, and spoke with other hunters. Gave me a good feeling for the next day.
                  Attached Files

Comment

But then.. Friday came along and it was the worst day I’ve had in a while. I think Bludau gave me mal de ojo (That’s the evil eye for the Spanish impaired). He said he had a feeling I was going to knock down a bull and I felt the pressure. It all started at the gate. Apparently, they are not enforcing the 1.5 hrs before sunrise access rule and other hunters were already in before that; so I felt rushed to get to my spot. I unload my bike, attach the game cart to it, and load my stuff. I get my Remington 700 and figure I may as well put bullets in it and take advantage of the truck’s lights. Well, one round goes in the wrong way and jams in there. I just could not get it out. Frustrated, I put it back and grabbed my second gun. A single shot 45-70 and take off. I cover about 100 yds and the game cart jack knives and down I go for the first time. Apparently, the e-bike I had just bought for this hunt (Bludau’s suggestion) was too fast for a rushed, poorly thinking hunter with only 3 hours of sleep, and an unbalanced and poorly secured game cart. So I abandon the game cart in the brush, get the gun bag, and jump on the bike again. Add a couple more bike riding fails because of a swinging gun bag hanging from one of my hands, as I try to set a speed record to my spot. Not good. I get to my spot and see a cows head sticking out of the grass. Get the rifle out of the bag, put a round in it, and lose the cow. It pops out on the trail further down. But, since I forgot the range finder in the truck, I am not sure of the distance and only look at it through the scope. The shot just didn’t feel right and I did not take it. Only saw birds after that. I think they were alerting all the other animals I was there. By 3:30 I was sitting by the shade of a small tree, eating a PBJ sandwich, lamenting my day, and calling it quits. I just walked the bike all the way back in defeat.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                      But then.. Friday came along and it was the worst day I’ve had in a while. I think Bludau gave me mal de ojo (That’s the evil eye for the Spanish impaired). He said he had a feeling I was going to knock down a bull and I felt the pressure. It all started at the gate. Apparently, they are not enforcing the 1.5 hrs before sunrise access rule and other hunters were already in before that; so I felt rushed to get to my spot. I unload my bike, attach the game cart to it, and load my stuff. I get my Remington 700 and figure I may as well put bullets in it and take advantage of the truck’s lights. Well, one round goes in the wrong way and jams in there. I just could not get it out. Frustrated, I put it back and grabbed my second gun. A single shot 45-70 and take off. I cover about 100 yds and the game cart jack knives and down I go for the first time. Apparently, the e-bike I had just bought for this hunt (Bludau’s suggestion) was too fast for a rushed, poorly thinking hunter with only 3 hours of sleep, and an unbalanced and poorly secured game cart. So I abandon the game cart in the brush, get the gun bag, and jump on the bike again. Add a couple more bike riding fails because of a swinging gun bag hanging from one of my hands, as I try to set a speed record to my spot. Not good. I get to my spot and see a cows head sticking out of the grass. Get the rifle out of the bag, put a round in it, and lose the cow. It pops out on the trail further down. But, since I forgot the range finder in the truck, I am not sure of the distance and only look at it through the scope. The shot just didn’t feel right and I did not take it. Only saw birds after that. I think they were alerting all the other animals I was there. By 3:30 I was sitting by the shade of a small tree, eating a PBJ sandwich, lamenting my day, and calling it quits. I just walked the bike all the way back in defeat.

Ouch! Hard day. Get some sleep and go hammer them tomorrow! Lots of opportunities!

Comment

Ok day 3, 2nd day of hunting. Game animals seen:

2 small bucks (6 or 7 points)
                        1 spike
                        2 does
                        1 Bobcat
                        10 quail
                        2 coyotes
                        0 Nilgai

Well had a very cool day but it was also very frustrating. Started hot rainy and 100% humid. Gross. We got to our spot right on time and me and my brother were gonna hunt back to back so we could cover all 600 yards. Just about prime time right at sun up 3 guys getting in late park at our gate and come through right on top of us for the second day in a row. In all fairness we were dropped off so there was no truck to mark our presence. Just the same it sucked bad and to make it worse they shot a cow Nilgai about 1/2 mile past us (would have walked right through our shooting lane in a few min) then they came in and out like 3 more times and with no car or bike we could not get away from the spot we were in. So we watched them and got rained on and hated everything about this mornings hunt. I can't imagine that place with 230 people out there. Everyone says it so big wow you can go days without seeing another person. BS it's not that big and I see more hunter orange than I do animals even with 35 people in there. Deep Breath..... It's just the way it is on public land. I could have gone far enough in to avoid the people if I had really tried I am just not crazy about the Nilgai extraction from 7 miles in. Maybe next time I draw the Bow tag I will try the in deep strategy but not this trip.

Ok about 12 the weather broke the wind changed direction and the sun came out again so that was nice for us to dry out a little and regroup. We ate lunch and pick our afternoon spots. I stay at the same lane I have been hunting since I saw so much there the day before, but my brother goes up to three tanks and my dad in another gate about 1 mile deep. The first few hours are nothing at all moving. About 2 hours before dark I start seeing deer and coyotes. My little pet forkhorn with too much courage shows up 200 yards down the lane and then casually works his way to within 10 yards of me again. This time I realized he was actually a little raggy 7 point otherwise a hansom young buck though, hes an up and comer. Can't believe how bold the animals are here but more on that later. A few more minutes go by and I hear 3 gunshots in quick order from where my dad is sitting. Thats weird I think to myself must have seen a bunch of hogs or even a big Nilgai. I get a text saying 3 shots at a monster buck long range, going to check for blood but I think I missed. Long story short he got buck fever and took 3 head shots (I know) at a 25" spread huge buck chasing a doe. Deep breath.... I can't control what boomers do or explain it.

Anyway back at my spot I hear movement behind me about 15 yards to my left. And look who shows up mister whiskers! I figure he is about to drop another deuce on me but he just sits there looking right at me like what the hell are you still here, this is my litter box punk. I just chuckle and tell him out loud you know huh I can't touch you, I'm impotent. He literally meows back a response like were having a conversation, I guess we were lol. Then after I take a bunch of pics he gets up walks all the way around my chair across the lane like he's putting on a show, then pauses briefly at the other side of the lane and sprays a giant puff of cat **** on the the mesquite tree next to him then trots off. I am forever calling this spot "The Litter Box". Right at dusk as I am packing up a big, and I mean trophy doe steps out against the skyline. I debate shooting her but I just don't need the meat and I think that the buck might still be on her tail so I let her walk. I wait the last 5 minutes of light with no luck and pack it in.

The front gets here tonight at midnight and it will be cold (53ish) in the morning. I hope it's going to get animals moving. I don't think we will stay for the night hunt sadly, my brother has a 3 year old we need to get home for. I will keep ya'll posted.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome Luke - btw, my favorite quote now is "I can't control what boomers do or explain it" haha!

Comment

Friday’s hunt was discouraging and Saturday was not looking much better with some rain forecasted. I spent quality time Friday night cleaning, lubricating, and troubleshooting my Remington 700. I overslept and had a late start Saturday morning so I decided to take it easy and try a less populated area I had been wanting to explore. On the drive to the refuge it is raining so I take my time driving slow hoping it won’t be raining when I get there. I decide to park and not rush things this time. I unload the bike and attach the customized $20 hunting trailer I used last year (and saw former less exciting service as a child cargo carrier) and forgo the treacherous game cart. I put all my gear in the trailer and proceed to get in the truck and enjoy my breakfast taco and 1/2 and 1/2 mix coffee and hot cocoa. With a happy belly and renewed spirits I lift bike and trailer over the gate and start pedaling to see how the trailer acts at speed. It was very stable and flew with the bike so off we went. Pause to chat with a father and son team on the way to looking for a spot, go around the couple in the UTV, keep going until I get to the area I wanted to explore. Left the bike and trailer tandem by a small tree on the side of the gravel road and started walking in. After a while of walking I see what I was looking for. I explore a little further and find the trails and direction of travel. It looks promising so I look around for a place to set up at. I find my tree at about 120 yds where I think they will be and get comfortable. The morning was looking good. Cloudy skies, a nice cool breeze, the sun on my back, and the wind carrying my scent away. I make a scientific calculation and project they will come by around 11am. A couple hours in I start getting restless and decide I will move at 11 am and explore deeper into the brush. Around 10 a.m I decide to get on my phone and research nilgai pooping habits. I couldn’t find valuable information so I start online shopping for new toys. Around 11 a.m. something catches the corner of my eye. Weird cause I had taken off my glasses to look at the phone. I put my glasses on and see what looks like a nilgai bull walking. I reach for the binoculars, but then I change my mind and reach for the range finder. I see two more bulls following the first one. I lose them in the brush but there is a small clearing coming up. I reach for the binoculars to find them but then I change my mind and get the range finder again to see how far they are. The first bull comes into the clearing. They are moving and not stopping. A reading comes back at 189 yds. I don’t have much time before they reach the next brush line. I get the rifle and look thru the scope. I acquire the first, and bigger, bull and follow his as he moves. A decision is made and the trigger is pulled. I reload and look up again to see tails going into the brush. I get my stuff, ready the shooting stick, and walk fast. Two bulls are make a u-turn and are now at about 300+ yards and moving fast. I crouch behind a bush, steady the rifle on the shooting stick and try to acquire a target. Something tell me not to shoot because I don’t see the 3rd bull. I hesitate and they are gone. I stand up and look at where the bull I pulled the trigger on was at and I see something bulging above the grass. I walk over and see the bull. He dropped where I shot him. I let out a few shouts of excitement and contemplate the task at hand. The 308 Federal Power Shok in 180 grain did its job and did it well. Hit right in front of the shoulder or the base of the neck. Almost a pass through. Found the bullet in the hide on the opposite shoulder.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the bull!

Comment

Congrats! Can’t wait for pics of your bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X