Plasma Cutters.......Who has one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
    I don't need anything that Hercules or Thor would need. I'm just a simple fella that likes to tinker from time to time. That's why I'm leaning toward the Jeggs unit. But I figured I'd get some good insight from you guys!

Have you considered an oxy-acetylene torch? For tinkering, a torch will do way more than a plasma, is way more fun to use, and doesn’t require 230v or a compressor. I like my plasma cutter. It’s fun and easier to do small stuff with. It will also cut things a torch won’t. But the times I need a torch, there isn’t any other tool that will suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a titanium from harbor freight. Middle of the road on price. It will cut 1/2" but it don't like it. (This is on 110v, it does have 230 option). It does everything I need it to. I'm just a hobby builder.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

a 4 1/2 or 5 in angle grinder with a cut off blade (abrasives .045) will amaze you...I got a couple electric and a couple Battery powered Ryobi and Dewalt ..Battery ones get most use cause of weight and easy to handle and not so torquie .I would say 70% of my cuttin less than 1/4 " is with A grinder ..I got a Oxo/Acc cuttin rig but it gets big thick cuts..then clean up with A grinder anyway.
        sure I would love to have a PLASMA but its just more to store and wrap up ( and I aint a pro just handy man thats likes metal work)

Comment

I've got a Lottus that I bought from another TBHer. I've used a ton of them in my lifetime. And I must say I'm really surprised at what this cheap thing can do! I've cut up to 1/2" with it with ease. And it's rated at 5/8".

They can be bought through Home Depot. And a number of other online places.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I must say make sure you have a compressor that will carry a steady 60 flow rate. You can back it down if you don't need that much. But for heavy cuts, it sure helps.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I have an Amico plasma cutter.

I did quite a bit of research on them before purchasing. They get pretty good reviews.

I've had it for a little over a year now, and have used it on a few different projects. It cuts sheet metal fine, and I built a stand for 275 gallon tote out of drill stem, used it to notch the pipe. It worked great.

Consumables are readily available, and not terribly expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a learning curve, and I'm just now getting the hang of using it. My consumables are lasting longer. I still cannot cut a straight freehand line to save my life. Gotta use a straight edge.

All that said, I use it once every couple of months. I'm a hobbyist, not a professional. Sure, I'd love a Miller or Hypertherm; just cannot justify the cost for as little as I use it at this point in time.

Comment

Okay Gummi Bear....just what are the consumables you mention. Plasma cutters are a very foreign area for me.....but I'm wanting to learn.

txpitdog - I'm wanting a cutting torch setup as well. Just a greedy thing I guess. LOL

Comment

Bought a cut-50 off of Amazon less than $300.00 dollars. It cuts thin stuff great. thicker stuff not so great. It can be switched to 240V so it might do better. Bought it to see how much I would use it before I invested big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    I have an Amico plasma cutter.

Consumables are readily available, and not terribly expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    I somehow missed this.....so now I know what "consumables" are. LOL

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                      Bought a cut-50 off of Amazon less than $300.00 dollars. It cuts thin stuff great. thicker stuff not so great. It can be switched to 240V so it might do better. Bought it to see how much I would use it before I invested big bucks.
                      This is my way of thinking. Wade in the water, before plunging into the deep stuff.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                        It does pretty good on up to ⅜" material. That's as thick as I had on hand when I was testing. I've never run mine at 120v, so no experience there.

Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
                        I somehow missed this.....so now I know what "consumables" are. LOL

Greg
                        The little silver domed piece is what wears out the most quickly in my experience, the tip goes right about the same time (the air hole blows out, and it just makes a mess)

I've learned to regulate my compressor down to the pressure called for by the plasma machine. The regulator built into the machine is not terribly robust, and won't regulate down much. Mine will whistle if I have too much pressure. Getting the correct distance from my material has taken a bunch of practice. Too close, and your tip goes almost immediately. Too far, and you lose your arc.

It's a fun tool to use, and makes short work of cutting material. The more I use it, the less I want to use a torch for cutting. It's definitely faster, you don't have to preheat your material.

Comment

That's good stuff to know, thanks!

Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X