No announcement yet.

First Tacoma Complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have three things catching huge wind. The roof on UTV, the screen on back of UTV, and that full ramp.
    Last edited by BrianL; 06-18-2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
      '19 Duramax 2500... front end issues, transmission issues, electrical issues,abs issues... all in first 18k miles

[ATTACH]1007496[/ATTACH]
      Most all problems come from making the truck "look cool"... Lift wheels and tires probably created most all your problems.

Comment

Yup. I have almost the same truck, color and all. It can haul a few things and people and handle extremely well on trails and roads but you put a trailer on it, and it drags ***.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
          Towing with smaller trucks isn’t a high-speed game. With large/heavy loads and any amount of grade to the road, sometimes 55-65 is all you can go without overworking your trans. Run in your second/third highest gear and keep your rpms up to the point you aren’t downshifting regularly.
          The above point seems to be overlooked. Sure, there are a few things that could be done to make it better. Distributing the weight on the trailer better, cutting down the trailer gate, etc.

However, at the end of the day, pulling a loaded 14' trailer with a mid-size pickup is not going to be a speed game. You either are going to live with an average towing speed in the mid 60's or you need a bigger truck.

To be honest, 75+ pulling a trailer and Ranger seems pretty darn fast imo.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
            Do not temp me, if 4x4 and four door I want it lol...

Last year I had my 05 Tacoma pull a mule with a roof, full windshield, and trailer with a gate. I went 250 miles, ended up getting around 7 MPG. It was horrible, but Tacoma's arent ment for heavy towing. Which this is not heavy towing, but like pulling a sail behind the truck. Next time I do this, the windshield will be off, and gate off as well.
            Silver 4x4 short bed 4 door immaculate interior. 76,000ish miles. New wheels and tires are delivered today. I think anyone would be very hard pressed to find one cleaner and near impossible with that low of mileage.

Comment

If you're hauling stuff every weekend and want good mileage at 80, well, duh a Tacoma isn't the ideal truck. It'll haul heavy stuff and go 80 while doing it, but it'll be chugging.

Comment

I love my 19 TRD Taco but I gota say, I finally found something I don't like about it. My son and I loaded up and headed to our property in Oklahoma for a few days. It was the first time pulling my 14' utility trailer and mule any kind of distance. To say it struggled would be an understatement. I know that they aren't supposed to be the best for pulling but had heard from countless others that they pulled a boat or sxs pretty good. The new engine runs at really high rpm's anyways and when you add a small trailer and some hills, it didn't like it. It really had a hard time figuring out what gear it wanted to be in on hilly terrain at highway speeds. 9.5 mpg was a little unexpected as well. I really thought it would do better and I'm disappointed.

[ATTACH]1007487[/ATTACH]
                I have a question. If you needed and owned a HD diesel truck why did you buy a Tacoma? If a Tacoma is all you needed why did you buy a HD truck? If in the middle is what you wanted why not a half ton? It seems to me like someone needing a minivan and leaving with a Corvette. One extreme, HD truck, to the other, Tacoma. Maybe you used to need an HD truck and no longer do and thought the Tacoma would be better than it is with a single axle trailer? Not being accusatory, but seems odd.

IMO you are the perfect candidate for a modern half ton. I prefer Chevy and Ford but the Ram's new generation looks pretty awesome as well. I would get the 6.2 V8 in the GM (5.3 if you don't tow much) and 3.5 Ecoboost in the Ford. Either will tow beyond your expectations and the 3.5 Ecoboost or 5.3 GM V8 will probably match or exceed your Taco's MPG while giving you more interior and cargo room.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  Most all problems come from making the truck "look cool"... Lift wheels and tires probably created most all your problems.
                  Everything done to that truck was done by the dealership brand new before I bought it so it was under warranty. With that said, I'm sure it could have contributed to some of the issues but not all. That truck had weird electrical problems.

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                  I have a question. If you needed and owned a HD diesel truck why did you buy a Tacoma? If a Tacoma is all you needed why did you buy a HD truck? If in the middle is what you wanted why not a half ton? It seems to me like someone needing a minivan and leaving with a Corvette. One extreme, HD truck, to the other, Tacoma. Maybe you used to need an HD truck and no longer do and thought the Tacoma would be better than it is with a single axle trailer? Not being accusatory, but seems odd.

IMO you are the perfect candidate for a modern half ton. I prefer Chevy and Ford but the Ram's new generation looks pretty awesome as well. I would get the 6.2 V8 in the GM (5.3 if you don't tow much) and 3.5 Ecoboost in the Ford. Either will tow beyond your expectations and the 3.5 Ecoboost or 5.3 GM V8 will probably match or exceed your Taco's MPG while giving you more interior and cargo room.
                  I didn't "need" the 3/4 ton, just liked the truck so I bought it. I've owned big trucks, small trucks, and everything in between. I buy new vehicles pretty frequently. At the time I bought the Tacoma my need was something better for 30-40k miles per year while being dependable and capable offroad because my trucks get used off pavement. The Tacoma is one of the best offroad vehicles I have ever owned. I just bought the trailer and mule from Mike off of TBH a couple months ago and had never needed to pull anything with the Tacoma until that purchase. Now that I have the mule and will need to pull it to Oklahoma fairly often, I may go back to a F150 or a Tundra.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Silver 4x4 short bed 4 door immaculate interior. 76,000ish miles. New wheels and tires are delivered today. I think anyone would be very hard pressed to find one cleaner and near impossible with that low of mileage.
                    Whenever you are ready to let go, let me know. I have had a few tacoma's and looking for another.

Comment

What’s wrong with the new tacos? My wife’s taco pulled stuff around just fine ( but I never pulled anything over 65 mph) stuff like flatbed trailer of fire wood, a uhaul to California
                      I guess they changed the engine and gears in newer models for the worse

Comment

Everything done to that truck was done by the dealership brand new before I bought it so it was under warranty.
                        I know dealers do it, and they look awesome, but that still causes lots of ABS, frontend, and transmission issues. And they can screw up other stuff while doing installs. Pinch wires causing weird electrical issues. Yours may have had them anyway, but most are caused after they are customized.

Also it is takes a while adjusting from the amount of power you had in a Duramax to a Taco.... Took me several years going from a Duramax to a 1/2 ton to get over the power loss.

Comment

Everything done to that truck was done by the dealership brand new before I bought it so it was under warranty. With that said, I'm sure it could have contributed to some of the issues but not all. That truck had weird electrical problems.

I didn't "need" the 3/4 ton, just liked the truck so I bought it. I've owned big trucks, small trucks, and everything in between. I buy new vehicles pretty frequently. At the time I bought the Tacoma my need was something better for 30-40k miles per year while being dependable and capable offroad because my trucks get used off pavement. The Tacoma is one of the best offroad vehicles I have ever owned. I just bought the trailer and mule from Mike off of TBH a couple months ago and had never needed to pull anything with the Tacoma until that purchase. Now that I have the mule and will need to pull it to Oklahoma fairly often, I may go back to a F150 or a Tundra.
                          I get it. Thought about the advantage of a Taco off road after I posted. I can vouch for 3.5 Ecoboost F150. I love the thing. I have the 2015 with 6 speed transmission and without port injection. The 2018 and ups with the 10 speed and port and direct injection are even more awesomer. I have 116k on my truck and around 40k of that is with a trailer. Towed my 30' travel trailer to Colorado and back last fall with my buddies 2015 Silverado and 5.3 and it did admirably as well. Pretty near identical mpg with the 5.3 only noticeable difference was at altitude the lack of turbos and the 5.3 needed more rpm than my truck in general, but not to an extreme or annoying amount.

Comment

Move your SXS back over the axle. might help a bit

My F250 gets 19.5mpg, when I pull my SXS on 18ft trailer I get 12mpg.
                            The gate and lid on your mule aren't helping either

Comment

I made it 6 months driving a Tacoma before trading back to a real truck. It was not for me one bit

Comment

My '07, with 292,000 miles tows better.
                                My 2019 will be my last Taco unless they fix that.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X