Diabetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diabetics

Last week, I went in to have labs and a physical done and was informed Monday that I am diabetic. I am fairly young (38), have a few extra pounds but not obese (5'10 190lbs), exercise fairly regular (walk/jog 6-8 miles a week) and eat fairly decent. What kind of lifestyle changes do I have to look forward to and any advice on steps to take from anyone who is in a similar situation would be appreciated.

Should I assume they are telling you that you are a type 2 diabetic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, type 2.

Comment

what was your Blood sugar and A1C?

Comment

A1C was 9.2 and Blood Sugar after fasting was a 243

Comment

I am type 1, have been for 36 years now so not quite the same. You will probably be put on oral meds but as far as lifestyle changes, of course stay away from simple sugars...candy, cakes, sugary drinks, pastas, most Mexican food. You’ll want to adopt a low carb diet. Get used to looking at every label and look at the carb content and try not to consume more than 25 grams of carbs at any meal which would equal a half cup portion of potatoes or rice. High protein with lots of veggies. A Palio diet is the perfect diet to be on for a diabetic.

Comment

Originally posted by ca1219 View Post
              A1C was 9.2 and Blood Sugar after fasting was a 243

Yeah, 9.2 is pretty bad. One thought is put a type 2 on insulin right away and treat aggressively to eliminate the risk of damage that can and will occur from running high numbers.

Comment

I was prescribed Metformin and currently taking 1 500mg pill a day for the first week and then upping amount until eventually 2 500mg twice a day. I have a follow up next week and then Doctor wants me to do some educational classes. So far since starting the meds, my blood sugar has been between 223 and 271 in the mornings.

Comment

I was prescribed Metformin and currently taking 1 500mg pill a day for the first week and then upping amount until eventually 2 500mg twice a day. I have a follow up next week and then Doctor wants me to do some educational classes. So far since starting the meds, my blood sugar has been between 223 and 271 in the mornings.

If I was you my first step would be cutting out carbs completely righ away. The carbs are what causes your blood sugars to go up. I can run perfect numbers 80-120 if I cut carbs but you really need to watch what you eat/drink...they are in EVERYTHING. You’d think something as simple as pistachios would be carb free but even they have carbs.

Comment

I'm type 2 and been on mess for several years. I take met for metformin. Give me a call at 832 725 5768 if u want and I can tell u what I've gone thru. Lost weight took take my med and watch my sugar intake and my A1c was 5.8 at my last checkup. If u call and I don't answer leave a message with ur number and I will return ur call.

Comment

I don't feel that it will be a hard adjustment. I drink water 75% of the time already, a coke here and there then tea. Two of my favorite foods are Italian and Pasta, that will be a change. So far this week since finding out, it has been Salmon brown rice and sauteed peppers for one meal. Grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for another. Then a spinach salad with grilled chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                        I'm type 2 and been on mess for several years. I take met for metformin. Give me a call at 832 725 5768 if u want and I can tell u what I've gone thru. Lost weight took take my med and watch my sugar intake and my A1c was 5.8 at my last checkup. If u call and I don't answer leave a message with ur number and I will return ur call.
                        Sounds good, I appreciate it and will probably reach out this weekend.

Comment

That still way too high for morning test and being on meds. Do not eat any sugar or anything that has sugar and cut way back on carbs.

I was at the same initial levels as you and take the same meds as you and I test less that 110 in the morning. You can do it. Good Luck

Comment

Just a word of caution-there are side effects of metformin. It can cause some pretty dramatic mood swings. Be aware.

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post
                              That still way too high for morning test and being on meds. Do not eat any sugar or anything that has sugar and cut way back on carbs.

I was at the same initial levels as you and take the same meds as you and I test less that 110 in the morning. You can do it. Good Luck
                              Thanks. Yes the numbers are way to high, I have only been taking the meds a couple days so hoping to see changes soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X