Fishing Reel cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Reel cleaning

Looking for someone that cleans and repairs reels, I have one I'd like cleaned. Anybody know someone? Willing to ship if needed. TIA

I have always shipped mine back to the manufacturer.

Comment

Pipeline tackle does an awesome job on reels. They are in Alabama

Comment

Im not interested, but just wanted to say, I cleaned reels when I was in my low 20s down on the coast to support my fishing habit. Took a few of mine apart and used Southwest Fishing Tackle in Dallas when I needed parts.

Its really, really easy. Schematics are readily available online if you get lost. Clean w a brass brush, grease the slow moving parts. One drop of oil on each bearing and they'll sing like new.

Comment

There's a feller in Weatherford that does both reel cleaning and rod repair. But I can't remember his name. I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            There's a feller in Weatherford that does both reel cleaning and rod repair. But I can't remember his name. I'll try to find out tomorrow.
            Thanks Mike

Comment

I used “the tacklesmith” I think you can probably google him. He did a great job when I used him.

Comment

Save your money and buy a new one. I've never had any luck with repairs done on reels

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Line Cutterz in West Columbia does it for $25.00 I haven’t had it done yet but I know they are good guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    Save your money and buy a new one. I've never had any luck with repairs done on reels

Huh? What if he has a $200 reel? If I bought a new reel each time mine was dunked in salt while fishing the surf, I'd be a fool. It's easy to clean and replace bearings on a reel, especially with schematics you can find on the manufacturers website.

Comment

Southwest Repair in Dallas does cleaning and repair. Good folks

Comment

dads ol tackle outside of conroe.

I used a young guy in BCS area that was slow, had 20 excuses and charged more than he quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                          Huh? What if he has a $200 reel? If I bought a new reel each time mine was dunked in salt while fishing the surf, I'd be a fool. It's easy to clean and replace bearings on a reel, especially with schematics you can find on the manufacturers website.
                          I'm just telling you my experience. I've fished in the Salt my whole life. I have 200 dollar reels in boxes in my shop that were repaired and they are never like when I bought them

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            dads ol tackle outside of conroe.
                            I buy my reel parts from him. We primarily surf fish, which is about as hard as you can be on reels. Constant sand and lots of spray and the occasional dunking in the surf. We run mostly cheaper Penn Rival level winds. Super simple to break down, and I keep a stock of basically consumable spares- line guide, worm gear shield, worm drive gear and pawl. I learned a long time ago I had to work on these about every 3rd or 4th trip depending on the conditions. I can pretty much do them on autopilot now.

What kind of reel do you have? A little patience and Youtube along with the right tools and I'd bet you can do it yourself.

Comment

bearintex, its an older Quantum IR3. I just bought it and would like it gone through

Thanks everyone who replied, it is appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X