Working Offshore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Offshore

Opportunity may have presented it self to work offshore - entry level roustabout. Working offshore has intrigued me since I was in high school. I’m thirty now, not married, no kids, with a promising career in sales if I stay on current track.

Any and all insights to working offshore? I’ve been in the patch in one form or another for the last 5-6 years so I’m familiar . Is it worth the leap at this point? Things to consider?

Thanks guys

I did it for 9 years, it's a decent job but 14 days out would get old I did 7 and 7 when they went to 14 I quit.

Comment

Barge, Shelf, or Deep Water? What company.
      It has pros and cons. I work deep water only. Internet is available, food isnt bad, laundry is taken care of and rooms are 2 man rooms (on drillships). Its not that bad. Just know that you eat, sleep and breath work for 28 days (most everyone has gone to 28's since covid). There is no getting away. You dont spend money, dont buy food, get plenty of sleep. No leaving, youre on a ship with 150 to 200 people. Eat, work sleep repeat. Depending on what rig youre on, you may be able to fish. Youre in the right situation (single, no kids) to give it a shot.
      Last edited by DedDuk; 07-21-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Transocean - based out of Alabama - I was 14 on 7 off in frac in the EF. Wasn’t the biggest fan - as long as days off matched work days I could be content.

Comment

Even time is great

Comment

many friends did this. It's a rough life but profitable. watch out for jody.

Comment

Been doing it 20+ years...... work half a year, make good money ( not as good as it once was, but still good ) you miss out on a lot things, but then again you get a lot of off time as well. When it's good it's good but when things slow down they have no problem laying you off..... but that comes with the territory.

I've really enjoyed being in the patch, especially when I was working overseas, got to see a lot all over the world

Comment

I don’t know your future plans but just keep that in mind. If you want a family it can be rough being gone that much. Sounds like you have a good thing going currently but there is certainly money to be made offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I was in your shoes I’d go offshore in a heartbeat. Been in the patch 11 years, and wish I’d have gone offshore before starting the family. Even if I just did it a year or two to scratch it off the list.

I’m in a profitable sales position onshore as well BTW.

Comment

Started offshore in 1993, got married in 1996 and worked offshore 14/14 till 2006. Then went to land in Latin America working 28/28 till 2011... Been at the Corporate level being home everyday since... Been a great run and has been very rewarding for me and my family...

I'm one of the few but still married to the same women, have a kid in college and a sophomore in high school. Not all wives are cut out for the rotational life!

Comment

Really appreciate you guys chiming in this is definitely a tough decision to make. I’m not worried about starting low cause I’m confident in my competetance to promote .

Here’s a question - what’s the time you typically see roustys promote?

To me it’s the last frontier of E&P

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                        Really appreciate you guys chiming in this is definitely a tough decision to make. I’m not worried about starting low cause I’m confident in my competetance to promote .

Here’s a question - what’s the time you typically see roustys promote?

To me it’s the last frontier of E&P

Depends on the rig and the rest of the deck crew. If you’re the guy that’s always working, never taking a smoke break, and only has to be shown something once it can be pretty quick (6mos-year), but just depends on who is “ahead” of you. If they ask you to work over say yes every time. Be dependable and tough and it will come quicker than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          Even if I just did it a year or two to scratch it off the list.
                          This is kind of exactly where my head is at lol

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                            This is kind of exactly where my head is at lol
                            I’m pretty jealous of the opportunity man. That’s one I’d love to scratch off just for the experience. Some think it’s weird, but I love working hard in unique environments.

Comment

I work offshore, and have for 27 years now. It is a good job, but there are some definite caveats:
                              1. if you have children, you are going to miss more than half of everything.
                              2. The oil patch isn't a stable career anymore especially at the lower levels of the totem pole.
                              3. The benefit packages are no where near what they used to be.
                              4. Bonuses for the most part, are a thing of the past.

Honestly, if I had a family and made a decent enough living, I would not consider the oilfield at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X