Arrow Spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Spine

I just picked up a new Hoyt Ventum with 50-60 lbs limbs. I wanted to get my arrow weight up to 500-520 gr. with FOC 12-15%. I discussed this with the prostaff at the shop, and they set me up with a 1/2 dozen axis 340's cut to 30.25 carbon to carbon, 75gr hit brass inserts, and 125 gr. Field points total arrow weight is 507 at 255FPS, and with nockturnals TAW is 530 at 252 FPS. FOC is about 15% and 13% with nockturnal. I think the 340 is underspined, and that I should look for a lighter gpi arrow in 300 spine. It's shooting bullet holes through paper, but I'm getting arrows landing at different angles in the target and arrow flight doesn't look perfect to me from observing shots in flight. Just wanted to see if any GS arrow gurusbmight have a suggestion.

Here's my set up.

61 lbs
    30" draw
    342 ibo

I inputted the information that you provided. I didn’t know if you had the Ventum 30 or 33 but I chose the 30. The point weight is listed as 200 but that is the combined weight of your insert and tip weight. This software shows you to be severely under spined.

It also has your total arrow weight being a bit more than your calculations at 551 grains. Not sure the reason for that. With this software you can actually input the exact model of bow and arrow, down to the fletching models and weight of wraps that you have on it. It’s generally very accurate. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you! It is a ventum 30. I was hoping someone would have access to software like this.

Comment

has the rest of the bow been checked by the bow techs before you started setting up the new arrows? I only ask because I am in the same situation and it seems that my rest is off or maybe cam timing. I need to get that dialed before I try to bare shaft tune or broadhead tune.

Comment

For what it’s worth, I have some brand new 300 Axis that I got at a bow shop that was closing down. If you need some, PM me and we can work something out. These are new in box and will be cheaper than anything you can buy at the bow shop or bass pro. They are what I plan to shoot this year, I just bough 5 boxes and that’s probably more than I need.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwragg View Post
            has the rest of the bow been checked by the bow techs before you started setting up the new arrows? I only ask because I am in the same situation and it seems that my rest is off or maybe cam timing. I need to get that dialed before I try to bare shaft tune or broadhead tune.
            Yes bow is tuned up nicely, will be going back in after a couple weeks once things are broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
              For what it’s worth, I have some brand new 300 Axis that I got at a bow shop that was closing down. If you need some, PM me and we can work something out. These are new in box and will be cheaper than anything you can buy at the bow shop or bass pro. They are what I plan to shoot this year, I just bough 5 boxes and that’s probably more than I need.

I'm probably going to switch arrows, the 300 axis is going to push my arrow weight beyond where I want to be. Thanks for the offer, and I'll let you know if I stick to the axis.

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
                I'm probably going to switch arrows, the 300 axis is going to push my arrow weight beyond where I want to be. Thanks for the offer, and I'll let you know if I stick to the axis.

I would recommend that you switch to .300 spine. I’m running 29”/63-65 lbs. and I’m building on a .300 spine platform (Gold Tip Airstrikes) with 72 gr insert, 100 gr head. 14% FOC, 480 grains. I believe the HIT is available with 50 grain brass? That would probably come close to equaling the added gpi of the .300 vs. .340.

Another thing, you could see what your paper tear looks like at about 7 yards and 12-15 yards.

@StraightWayOutdoors
                Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Sevr Broadheads, Pine Ridge Archery, Bloodline Fibers

Comment

Originally posted by Planopurist View Post
                  I would recommend that you switch to .300 spine. I’m running 29”/63-65 lbs. and I’m building on a .300 spine platform (Gold Tip Airstrikes) with 72 gr insert, 100 gr head. 14% FOC, 480 grains. I believe the HIT is available with 50 grain brass? That would probably come close to equaling the added gpi of the .300 vs. .340.

Another thing, you could see what your paper tear looks like at about 7 yards and 12-15 yards.

@StraightWayOutdoors
                  Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Sevr Broadheads, Pine Ridge Archery, Bloodline Fibers
                  I just looked at the airstrikes, and they should work great for my build. Thanks for the recommendation.

I could drop the insert weight down to 50 gr. Or go to a 100 gr tip to drop total arrow weight if I wanted to stay with the axis in 300 spine, but that will drop the FOC quite a bit, TAW stays in my range but it's more evenly distributed along the shaft. I'm not trying to go extreme but I think there is good merit to moderately high FOC.

Comment

All I can tell you is that a 340 spine arrow with 200 grains up front at 30.25” is gonna be weak.

Comment

Dang! You are getting 255fps with a 500+ grain arrow with a 60lb bow? Wow!

Comment

Went into shop today and we switched the 340 spine axis out for some 300 GT airstrikes. Because they have same ID as the axis, we were able to install 75 gr. easton HIT inserts, use the GT collar 14.6 gr per their scale, and 125 gr. Tip. We cut the GT to match the axis with the nock bushing in place and it came it at 511 gr TAW. and the bow is spitting them out at 255 consistently. Arrow flight is much better and it's giving perfect tears through paper. Ready to try th out at longer distance and then through a beast.

Comment

Working...
                        X