Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big bend kayak trip?

Thinking of doing a one day river trip when I'm there next week
    Anyone floated from lajitas to Santa Elena canyon? It's a 20 mile trip apparently can be done in a day.

Any tips? Gonna take our own yaks and we have 2 vehicles..thx!

It's been over 30 years since I did that trip. It is an awesome trip, lots of fun. Water speed will have a big impact on how fast you make it down through the canyon. When we did ours there was a pretty good waterfall in the middle of the canyon because of some falling rock. Enjoy the trip it is a lot of fun.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, that’s the rock slide, huge piece of Boulder caved off the canyon and fell mid stream. If I remember right it’s about halfway down the canyon between the start and finish of the canyon. I went down it in a raft and it wasn’t bad. In a kayak, if the water is up, wear your pfd and choose your approach carefully.
      IMO, could possibly be the most scenic and gorgeous stretch of river in Texas.

Comment

Call a local outfitter. I go out there quite a bit and the water can get real low. Take plenty of photos and make sure you are prepared, that is some rough country

Comment

Haven't paddled that section but have done the Boquillas Canyon section twice. That place is truly amazing, especially from a kayak. If you have time to split it into two days you could camp out on the river for a night. That would give you plenty of time for excursions into interesting areas by the river. The Boquillas section is 39 or so miles and we camp 3 nights. We would go on little hikes whenever we found a cool looking area, and got to camp out under the stars in the canyon. Basically let the current take you downstream while you take in all the sights. Have fun and post pictures, I'm envious.

Comment

Working...
          X