Thoughts on Taurus raging hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m getting the wheel gun bug and have started looking around at options.

Obviously the go to would be a smith and Wesson performance center in 44/454/460 but they are pretty pricey. So I stumbled across the Taurus raging hunter line up and also the trackers. They make the raging hunter in 357/44/454/460.

I’m probably looking more at the 460 or 454 since I have 3 contenders in 44/357 max/ 35 rem/ and others.

Anyone have experience with one of these? Post results and pictures of you don’t mind!

At times, Taurus makes some really nice guns. At other times, their quality control is pretty bad. IMHO, you are rolling the dice. I'd spend the money for S&W

Comment

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

Buy a S&W or Ruger

Comment

I had a Taurus .454 a few years ago. 8" barrel, scope, etc... I also had an American Arms .454. The American Arms was a fine piece of American craftsmanship. Super nice gun. Better than the Taurus in every way. But I actually enjoyed shooting the Taurus more. The beefier rubber grip just fit my hand better, and it was more comfortable with heavy loads. The extra weight under the barrel and the ports tamed the recoil a bit as well. The AA wasn't bad, but with heavy loads the recoil was a lot more noticeable with the smaller wood/metal grip. I never had any issues with the Taurus either. I'd buy another one.

Comment

I like my Ragin Bull in .41 Rem Mag. Solid 100yd gun that will shoot 2" groups from a pistol rest at 100yds. It's kilt a lot of pigs and sometimes use it for meat hunts in the extended doe and spike season. It's actually a bit more accurate than my Ruger Bisley Hunter 41 Mag at distance.
          Attached Files

Comment

For what it is used for, and the times it will be used, a Taurus is just fine.... my 357 Taurus, works just fine carrying it on my hip and when it is used to shoot shot shells at snakes i encounter, along with pecan stealing squirrels
            pricier is always better so they say. but i aint looking for a beauty queen of a wheel gun

Comment

I have a .454 Raging Bull with the 8" barrel and it is one of my favorite wheel guns. It's proven to be reliable and accurate and has sent quite a few hot rounds down range. Cylinder lockup is still tight and the trigger is surprisingly good. I have a un ported single shot 357 max and the Taurus is much more enjoyable to shoot and control. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Raging Bull.

I also have a .41 Tracker and while it's not a bad gun it's not a great gun either. There aren't many options in a compact large bore magnum and it fits the bill nicely. I just wish it wasn't so finicky on bullets for accuracy.

Comment

I have two Trackers great guns for money especially for what I use em for offshore boat gun.Atv snake gun and all around playing in the mud and dirt whooping stick.A SW is a better gun no if and or buts about it but Taurus is a reliable and accurate tool.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                  I have a .454 Raging Bull with the 8" barrel and it is one of my favorite wheel guns. It's proven to be reliable and accurate and has sent quite a few hot rounds down range. Cylinder lockup is still tight and the trigger is surprisingly good. I have a un ported single shot 357 max and the Taurus is much more enjoyable to shoot and control. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Raging Bull.

I also have a .41 Tracker and while it's not a bad gun it's not a great gun either. There aren't many options in a compact large bore magnum and it fits the bill nicely. I just wish it wasn't so finicky on bullets for accuracy.
                  Both my 41's like the heaviest bullet I can load for it. I can't get them anymore but Leadhead bullets used to make a gas checked 270gr that I load with 19.6gr H110 that always shoots consistent tight groups out to 100. At 50yd I can get a clover leaf 6 shot group from a rest. Heaviest GC bullets I can find for it now are 265 gr. I have also loaded and shot Hornady 210gr XTP jacketed and they do well to 50 yds. At 100 there always seems to be one flier out of 6. It may be the cylinder chamber but I can never figure out which one. My brother used it and shot a cull buck with one of the 210 XTP loads and it did massive meat damage thru both shoulders at 40 yds. Deer did a front flip and was DRT.

Comment

I have an older polished 454 raging bull and love it.

Comment

I have a Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag. It has made several trips to AK. with me and I really like it. Never had any issues with it at all.

Comment

I sold a 44 mag Tracker because I wanted a 10mm. I wish I kept the Taurus, it was a good pistola. Accurate and was reliable. I still have and use a Tracker 357 that I wouldn't sell. They're pretty good guns. I'll buy another 44 mag as soon as I can find one.

Comment

You get-n the fever bad now, Chris!

I did too at your age. And I still have regular relapses.

Comment

I've got a Raging Hunter in 454 with the not so long barrel - 5" I believe.

I'd usually carry a 3" Judge with .45 long colt hollow points in 3 of the chambers (.410's in other 2) during deer season and was looking for something to "feel" like that on my hip -with open sights- but have a little more punch- after shooting a doe a few years ago with the Judge and not getting a passthrough I thought more punch was what I needed- afterwards it was pointing out I was using the Lever Revolution ammo- so powder burn in the shorter barrel might have been an issue. I may revisit that some day.
                            I found her with no blood trail and by chance- knowing there was no way I could have missed at the distance she was at I didn't give up looking and tada, there she was hidden in the high grass..... Anywho....

I also have a scoped .44 mag, but carrying it requires a bandolier style holster that just isn't as nice to do as hip carry imo.

I have yet to shoot anything with the Raging Hunter besides paper. I'm currently carrying 3 chambers of the Winchester 250 gr Super X ammo- it's loaded down between 44 mag and 454 full power. The full Power .454 though this gun was just too much for me to handle, you may have no problem with it though. The other two chambers have snake shot in em until it gets really cold.

As far as the gun itself goes, I have the black stainless which I know is gonna get worn off with Kydex holsters- but it's a Taurus- AKA tool to be used- is how I look at it .
                            The rail along the barrel top is in the wrong place IMO, I'd prefer a slot towards the rear sight for a red dot- but that ain't what they did.
                            Where the rail is now the pistol can't be hip holstered if you scope it.
                            I've got plants for a red dot on quick disconnect rings- but that got shelved when deer season ended.

So far no issues with the gun, but I truthfully haven't put numerous rounds through it - some cowboy action loads, some full power and a box or so of the Winchester loads I decided to go with.

The only pics I can find on my phone right now are when I had the Kydex made for it in Kemah at https://www.tripletholsters.com/.

So ain't much to see- but here they are...

Last edited by DaveC; 07-08-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                              I've got a Raging Hunter in 454 with the not so long barrel - 5" I believe.

I'd usually carry a 3" Judge with .45 long colt hollow points in 3 of the chambers (.410's in other 2) during deer season and was looking for something to "feel" like that on my hip -with open sights- but have a little more punch- after shooting a doe a few years ago with the Judge and not getting a passthrough I thought more punch was what I needed- afterwards it was pointing out I was using the Lever Revolution ammo- so powder burn in the shorter barrel might have been an issue. I may revisit that some day.
                              I found her with no blood trail and by chance- knowing there was no way I could have missed at the distance she was at I didn't give up looking and tada, there she was hidden in the high grass..... Anywho....

I also have a scoped .44 mag, but carrying it requires a bandolier style holster that just isn't as nice to do as hip carry imo.

I have yet to shoot anything with the Raging Hunter besides paper. I'm currently carrying 3 chambers of the Winchester 250 gr Super X ammo- it's loaded down between 44 mag and 454 full power. The full Power .454 though this gun was just too much for me to handle, you may have no problem with it though. The other two chambers have snake shot in em until it gets really cold.

As far as the gun itself goes, I have the black stainless which I know is gonna get worn off with Kydex holsters- but it's a Taurus- AKA tool to be used- is how I look at it .
                              The rail along the barrel top is in the wrong place IMO, I'd prefer a slot towards the rear sight for a red dot- but that ain't what they did.
                              Where the rail is now the pistol can't be hip holstered if you scope it.
                              I've got plants for a red dot on quick disconnect rings- but that got shelved when deer season ended.

So far no issues with the gun, but I truthfully haven't put numerous rounds through it - some cowboy action loads, some full power and a box or so of the Winchester loads I decided to go with.

The only pics I can find on my phone right now are when I had the Kydex made for it in Kemah at https://www.tripletholsters.com/.

So ain't much to see- but here they are...

That’s bad to the bone!

Comment

Working...
                              X