Boat Battery 1, Battery 2, and switch troubleshooting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Battery 1, Battery 2, and switch troubleshooting question

Need ideas to trouble shoot why is it when I turn the battery switch to dual I get no power to the starter?

The starting battery is on 1 and if the switch is turned to 1 I can turn the key, hear the alarm, and start my motor.

If I turn the switch to 2, I hear nothing, which is correct.

But as stated, if I turn the switch to both (which is supposed to give me the charge from both batteries) I get nothing.

What do I need to troubleshoot?

Probably have the outgoing positive on the wrong pole of the switch.

Comment

Hope them batteries are wired parallel and not in series.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

Explain what you're trying to do with both batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          Hope them batteries are wired parallel and not in series.
          Its all orginal wiring.

Positive from position 1 is on starting battery. Positive postion 2 is on the second battery (house).

I like keeping the switch on "both" so as I run both batteries get re-charged.

Comment

If everything is wired right then you have a problem with battery #2. Maybe it's dead.

Comment

do you have access to a volt meter?

unscrew the perko from the wall and look at the wiring
              should be straight forward 12v wiring,

How old is batt?

Comment

On mine, the switch got a little corroded. Sometimes it would work, sometimes if I switched to just one battery or the other, it wouldn’t work. I took it apart and wire brushed all the internal contact points and it is good as new.

Mine is mounted knob-down under the console to it would hold water inside the plastic housing. I also drilled a bunch of holes in the plastic to let the water drain out.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  If everything is wired right then you have a problem with battery #2. Maybe it's dead.
                  This is my thinking. Shorted cells in battery 2.

Comment

maybe bad switch battery selector

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you turn the switch to 2 and get nothing and that's correct, how are you supposed to pull juice from both 1 and 2 when you're on All? Seems like it'd be the same as being just on #1. I've always run my Perko's where 1 or 2 both will power everything, so not a true house battery situation.

Comment

Sounds like battery 2 being bad is where I would start.

FWIW It was a long time ago (late 90's) but I burned up a couple stators running on "both" batteries before I figured out what was happening. May not be an issue on newer motors.

Comment

I think your switch has a problem. Sounds to me like it's not making contact when in the dual battery position.

Comment

There should be a common ground between the two negative posts on the batteries jumping them together.

Comment

Working...
                            X