Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV extended warranties, worth it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV extended warranties, worth it or not?

My wife and I put a deposit down on an RV to hold it and we are going in next week to sign the papers on it. 2021 Coachman Chaparral 360IBL. Got a call from the GM yesterday to let us know what the payments would be, and he casually throws in to the mix that a 5 year extended warranty “is included”. I might have been born at night but it wasn’t last night, nothing is just included, unless we are paying for it.

So after putting pen to paper I figure this extended warranty is in the neighborhood of $3k-$5k. Are they worth it?

My gut says no but I’d like to hear from some of y’all who have been down this path before.

Nope, I just went thru this. We paid around 3k for our extended warranty. Our camper was less than a year old and had leak on the slide. Neither warranty covered any of it and the dealership charged us $200 to tell us they wouldn't. Fun town in tyler was the dealership.

Comment

I spent $7900 for a 7 year bumper to bumper on my class C. Having things replace on an RV is very expensive. To me it was worth the cost for the peace of mind. If I'm on the road it get's fixed.
      Mine is good nationwide.

Comment

I'm sure it comes with some sort of factory warranty, probably 1-2 years. Ask if the five year extended starts after that. I bet it doesnt.

Comment

Yes, We got an additional 5 years at 1999.00 for ours in 2019. With the warranty I can trailer it for repairs or pay 100 bucks to have a mobile guy come fix it and be reimbursed later. I figure I cant trailer it from where it is to a repair shop and back for 100 so went ahead and got it

The warranty is putting a new ac on it this weekend. My camper was also bought at camping world in Tyler. But the warranty is through good sam club.

having said all that I would not return to tyler camping world to by a 6 pack of beer

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Yes, We got an additional 5 years at 1999.00 for ours in 2019. With the warranty I can trailer it for repairs or pay 100 bucks to have a mobile guy come fix it and be reimbursed later. I figure I cant trailer it from where it is to a repair shop and back for 100 so went ahead and got it

The warranty is putting a new ac on it this weekend. My camper was also bought at camping world in Tyler. But the warranty is through good sam club.

having said all that I would not return to tyler camping world to by a 6 pack of beer
            Thats a long drive for a 6 pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Sounds like my exact thoughts on the Camping World in Katy.

Comment

I wouldn't think so. Keep in mind that most travel trailers lose about 2/3 of their value in the first 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  Thats a long drive for a 6 pack.
                  Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                  Sounds like my exact thoughts on the Camping World in Katy.
                  After contacting Forrest river directly in attemp to get a cabinet door I left a rather lengthy google review.

Got my door and some electric jacks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I deal with RV Extended warranties most everyday. I will be the first one to say, most dealerships have about priced them out of being worth it. That being said I have seen them pay for a lot of things and pay for itself. They will not cover "Wear & Tear" type items. I have never seen one cover a water leak due to rain. Most have been fairly easy to deal with in my experience, except Good Sam. They seem to nickle & dime each claim and ends up that the customer generally pays more in the end, but they are generally a more affordable warranty, because you are buying it though them and not paying a dealer profit. Good Sam has gotten better over the years though. If you can afford it, it is not a bad deal especially if you plan on doing a lot of travel & using your RV

Comment

Friends don't let friends shop at Campers World.

Comment

I bought new so I wouldn't have problems. I got the extended warranty at around 4500 bucks. My warranty is now out and it replaced the a/c. The hard part is finding someone to accept it. Seeing as to how the a/c was 1300, I lost money having that "peace of mind,". Oh, and never buy from Fun RV in Waco.

Comment

A little off subject but I bought a brand new pop up years ago I believe from that same RV place in Tyler. It had a different name then. It was a mid size Palimino
                          I stored it in my garage at home. In less than a year it started leaking around the A/C on top from the A/C condensation. It cost me about $200-$300 to have them replace the gasket that the A/C set on. I was surprised it didn’t last through 2-3 camping trips & stored in the garage
                          Anyways, get it home and set it up and it still leaked. I got to looking & they didn’t snug it down. I took a picture of the clearance where I slid a flat piece of metal in between the roof & A/C gasket. I called & complained & they denied that it was poor quality worked & were going to charge more to fix it
                          Long story short…I sold it after I fixed it and I will never own another RV. They are junk & my only experience with that place in Tyler was bad enough to say I’ll just rent a cabin for what little we go camping anyways. Don’t need a money pit

To the OP…sorry for my rant but y’all brought back bad memories

Comment

Working...
                          X