Chandeleur Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Y'all can keep them ladies... sorry bastages.
    I agree when your trying to catch real fish! We played with them for 10 or 15 minutes that first morning. I like the way they jump. He's bringing kids so bet they would have a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      I agree when your trying to catch real fish! We played with them for 10 or 15 minutes that first morning. I like the way they jump. He's bringing kids so bet they would have a blast.
      LOL

My wife and I found a school a few 100 yards from the pass. It hadnt been that great so we decided to mess with them for a minute. She had one at the boat and I was bending over to grab it with a boga to keep it from thrashing all over the skiff. As she was leading the fish toward me something HUGE swiped at it right at the boat. I mean close enough to shower me with saltwater.

Shes all yelling to get the skipjack off her line so she can catch whatever was trying to eat it and Im no longer willing to get anywhere near the flapping fish. End up getting the skipjack in the boat and give it a quick thump in the head and throw it back hoping jaws would come eat it. Never happened.

Comment

I hooked a big skipjack out there this last trip & right in front of me the fish goes berserk. Then water looks like a washing machine. Figured I am gonna pay the tax man now. Something grabs the skip & takes off. I am thinking dang cut it off before I get spooled. I crank down on the reel to break off & the line goes limp ,but still weight on it. Figured the shark must have bit it in half finally ,but usually wouldn't take that long. I reeled in expecting part of a fish & still have the whole fish. It had a few cuts on it ,but looked like it had been scaled on both sides. Guessing a big jack or such must have grabbed it being it wasn't cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bob View Post
          Also, anyone fish gulp under a popping cork or would that be catfish city?
          Tried it for about 5 minutes for grins. After 3 hardheads I went back to a lure, and after a few trout caught a hardhead...Got bored and threw fishbites in the surf. Was standing on dry land and bent down to adjust my boot. Fishbite dipped in the water and I pretty much cane poled a hardhead. I don't think bait matters, you are gonna have to deal with the slimy bastages eventually.

Comment

I almost took one to the face that jumped in the boat. Good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              I almost took one to the face that jumped in the boat. Good times!

Let me tell you, an 18" ladyfish flyin' at you with a M51 mirrolure in it's mouth will get your attention quick, fast and in a hurry!!

Comment

Check under the birds in open water. Me and Bobby got into some monster lady fish under some. Also had sharks in there because I had one bit in half and about got stripped by another. Fun times!
                Yes if we see any birds working we are on them. Trophy ladyfish are a good time for some of the kiddos on this trip. Some are a little more hard-core.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                  Tried it for about 5 minutes for grins. After 3 hardheads I went back to a lure, and after a few trout caught a hardhead...Got bored and threw fishbites in the surf. Was standing on dry land and bent down to adjust my boot. Fishbite dipped in the water and I pretty much cane poled a hardhead. I don't think bait matters, you are gonna have to deal with the slimy bastages eventually.
                  That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

Comment

Man all these stories are getting me fired up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Let me tell you, an 18" ladyfish flyin' at you with a M51 mirrolure in it's mouth will get your attention quick, fast and in a hurry!!
                      LOL

Charlie be like...

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bob View Post
                        Man all these stories are getting me fired up!!!
                        Be safe, have fun & Good Luck!

Comment

Cut skipjack is great redfish bait. I am assuming it would work well for sharks also.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            LOL

Charlie be like...

This is hilarious!!

Comment

Our trip got canceled unfortunately. A/C in the boat went out on the trip before ours. The kids were VERY disappointed but since the surf was flat we were able to drown our sorrows in the warm gulf currents of Surfside beach for some dawn patrol Wednesday and Thursday and caught a few trout.

As the Longhorn fans say - We'll get em next year.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Way to get it done. Those are some happy young men.

Comment

Working...
                                X