No announcement yet.

Hagetman brings back 80% qualification requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proficiency tests and crossbows are both lame...although crossbows definitely more lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
      I think in the past most of the hunters that applied/drawn would try to hold out for a buck of a lifetime or maybe their personal best. Now it seems the standards have shifted to any legal buck. It was tough conditions last year but a lot of the bucks I saw that were taken were not the caliber that Hagerman is known for. It's a public hunt and I get it. Anyone can shoot any legal buck and that's fine but we are far from the glory days of the old Hagerman. Giants are still in there no doubt but it seems in fewer numbers. I think bringing back the use of trail cameras would help a lot. Folks would see really quickly why they should be passing up those younger bucks.
      I hunted Hagerman for the first time last year after following the hunts thru here for years. The only reason that was possible was because they started to allow the course online. The group of us went up 3 days before our hunt and scouted so we could look for fresh sign. We found it and had what I would consider a successful hunt, being we all 3 laid eyes on mature deer, just no shot opportunities presented themselves. With that being said, after watching the hunts before we were there and seeing the deer that were killed in our segment, the "quality" and age of the bucks harvested were not what I remembered reading about in years past and to be honest I've watched it trending that way even the year before that.

I'm one of the one's who has disagreed with crossbows being allowed to be hunted with by able bodied individuals during "archery only hunts/seasons". There was a man hunting the same segment we were there and general same area. Very nice guy, but he was hunting with one of the new age crossbows and I ran into him on the last day and he told me he had killed what he thought was a doe on the first day at 75 yards with his crossbow, turns out it was a nubbin buck. He was ecstatic so I was happy for him, but I couldn't help that it just made me feel weird that he is hunting with a weapon that nowadays can accurately shoot to nearly 100 yards with very little practice.

Comment

Originally posted by fmjag64 View Post
        ...although crossbows definitely more lame.
        this

Originally posted by gander View Post
        I hunted Hagerman for the first time last year after following the hunts thru here for years. The only reason that was possible was because they started to allow the course online. The group of us went up 3 days before our hunt and scouted so we could look for fresh sign. We found it and had what I would consider a successful hunt, being we all 3 laid eyes on mature deer, just no shot opportunities presented themselves. With that being said, after watching the hunts before we were there and seeing the deer that were killed in our segment, the "quality" and age of the bucks harvested were not what I remembered reading about in years past and to be honest I've watched it trending that way even the year before that.
        I've beent there the past 2 hunts and can tell you the place isn't even a shadow of what it used to be in 2009 and I've heard early 2000's it was even better. It probably is mostly to do with the publicity and bordering private land pressure than anything but crossbows are not going to help, I would say the places best days are in the past.
        Last edited by bossbowman; 07-06-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodtracy View Post
          I have my Hunter and bowhunter education requirements, where do I go in the Houston are for the 80% qualification requirement? Or would I need to call HAGERMAN NWR?

Funny, I used to live in D/FW and many of my friends have hunted there and I never interred the drawing. Now I am in Houston and I am going to try, go figure?
          Not sure if you ever got a definative answer, but Army of Dad is correct. You can shoot at any archery range and a range official, who owns or works at the range, signs the card for you. This can be in a regular tournament or a special Hagerman guidelines round. Of course, 80% in a regular tournament is generally much harder due to smaller targets, longer distances, and usually no rangefinders. Bow ed instructors can also certify scorecards if they have their own targets/set up or a range nearby.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Per the refuge staff, no proficiency test required, should be corrected/deleted on TPWD drawn hunts site in the next few days. Carry-on.

Comment

So there you go, for those opposed to testing. Once it was, then it wasn't, again it was, and now it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                Per the refuge staff, no proficiency test required, should be corrected/deleted on TPWD drawn hunts site in the next few days. Carry-on.
                So was it added by mistake or they just not doing it again because covid? Curious if they will still do the orientation and morning take off the same as last year, that was actually and improvement on how they did things in the past.

Comment

The drama continues.....lol!!! [emoji854] Good luck however the powers to be decide.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    The drama continues.....lol!!! [emoji854] Good luck however the powers to be decide.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                    Lol. So true. If you look up a synonym for Hagerman, first word to pop up would be drama and it's been that way since the hunt out there started. All this discussion is well and good, but there remains the primary problem to deal with before any of it matters. Getting drawn!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      this

I've beent there the past 2 hunts and can tell you the place isn't even a shadow of what it used to be in 2009 and I've heard early 2000's it was even better. It probably is mostly to do with the publicity and bordering private land pressure than anything but crossbows are not going to help, I would say the places best days are in the past.
                      I agree that its best days have come and gone. But they'll still be a beast or two taken I bet. I hunted it in the early 90's and after following reports over the last several years can attest that quality is lower. But since the age class gap from the 2011-13 drought has now moved through and the big fawn crops of 2014-16 are reaching maturity, I considered putting in again. Since it had been a very long time since I set foot on the place, I did a Google Earth tour the other day. I lost count of the neighboring land's feeders along the perimeter at somewhere in the teens and barely made it half way around. But from a scouting standpoint, I did spot what must be a heck of spot to set up (see photo). That's private land on the right side and refuge on the left.

I like the proficiency test. I don't think the intent was an attempt to ensure no wounding loss, rather just to cull out non-serious bozos who shouldn't be launching broadheads around. If there were only a way to test decision making under pressure.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                        I agree that its best days have come and gone. But they'll still be a beast or two taken I bet. I hunted it in the early 90's and after following reports over the last several years can attest that quality is lower. But since the age class gap from the 2011-13 drought has now moved through and the big fawn crops of 2014-16 are reaching maturity, I considered putting in again. Since it had been a very long time since I set foot on the place, I did a Google Earth tour the other day. I lost count of the neighboring land's feeders along the perimeter at somewhere in the teens and barely made it half way around. But from a scouting standpoint, I did spot what must be a heck of spot to set up (see photo). That's private land on the right side and refuge on the left.

I like the proficiency test. I don't think the intent was an attempt to ensure no wounding loss, rather just to cull out non-serious bozos who shouldn't be launching broadheads around. If there were only a way to test decision making under pressure.
                        Razorback01 is in total agreement with the proficiency test comments, thanks.

Comment

Anyone know when they release the draw results? September?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                            Anyone know when they release the draw results? September?

TPWD usually does the draw the next business day after the application deadline so probably sometime on 9/2 this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                              TPWD usually does the draw the next business day after the application deadline so probably sometime on 9/2 this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Okay awesome, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X