No announcement yet.

Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even at $12-$13K, you've still gotta have the right guys pulling the trigger. And unless your under high fence, it's a waste of time anyway. I've been on high dollar, high fence places and there's always gonna be a guy or two that shoots the wrong deer. Even on low fence, Idc if you have 10,000 contiguous acres, you can't keep all the bucks (or does for that matter) on that 10,000 acres... all you're doing is feeding them, letting them reach maturity, for the neighbors to kill some of them...and you still have to have the right guys pulling the trigger. Not to mention, Idk many guys who would pay that kinda coin for a low fence place unless it was deep south texas and the surrounding ranches weren't being hunted and the amenities we're first class (gonna be really hard to find).
    The quickest way to have a "Trophy Lease", is to petition TPWD and make them turn your county into an archery only county. lol
    Last edited by corps2010; 06-27-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Yall can have all you want, I'm not wasting that kind of money. My deer is good enough trophy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        I agree. I have a place to hunt that is close enough to go for one night where I can put a couple of does in the freezer and shoot pigs. If I get a hankering for a wall hanger (that urge is fading) I will also go pay-to-play for a few days. Just reading about what it takes to maintain a true trophy lease in time money and effort is exhausting. Not to mentioned the drama of “kill lists” and the pressure of all the restrictions. Of course this explains why I don’t have a trophy room
        I sure like the way you said it. I’m just happy out there. My deer heads are In The garage and my mounts are ready in the attic. I still look at them a ton, but I like to just be at the lease and having a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
          Yall can have all you want, I'm not wasting that kind of money. My deer is good enough trophy for me.
          Yep, if I ever lose my current lease ( 30 years on ). I pay 1850 a year and buy just about 3-8 bags of corn a year. I have ample shots every sit. I’ll never pay on a lease where feed is a mandatory item. And I’ll never ask permission from the group to shoot something.

Comment

You explained our lease to a T... but it ain't Tejas. And we feed February through October so not quit year round.

Comment

Gotta spend my money on something

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Amen. Killed 4 deer off of our place last year. Figure it was about $500/lb.
                I’d rather hunt my own land than pay someone to hunt theirs. Without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                  I’d rather hunt my own land than pay someone to hunt theirs. Without exception.

Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                    I’m seeing all kinds of leases these days going for $10-$15 an acre and filling them with about 250-350 acres per gun. I’m talking about NW of DFW, not you SE TX guys where that’s a lot of land. I’m not here to complain about land prices, it is what it is.

But These places all talk about Management hunting and shooting the right deer, but man there’s just no way with that many hunters. And I’ve talked to a bunch of them and seen the pictures. They aren’t killing great big or old deer. They shoot what they want to it seems like.

How many of you are willing and able to pay whatever it cost year PLUS feed to be on a REAL managed place, where you shoot 5.5-6.5 year old 160” (preferably bigger) deer and PROPER culls. Otherwise you pass on them?

I’m talking about a place with a section to 800 acres per Hunter. Year round protein. Corn in season. Community hunting property where you all
                    Work hard and maintain the place and you all work together and get along to hunt and manage and kill big deer? You all agree on stand locations and build them together. You run cell cameras where everyone has the app and can see the pics. Where you talk about and build a list of shooters or NO SHOOT deer? A place that you have a 3 year contract?

At today’s land prices and ag commodities influencing feed I think this is going to cost $12-13k.

Are there guys out there that want to do this?
                    Manage a pasture now that is part of a 65,000 acre low fence ranch that is all the above, and under $6000 per person. So yes there is places in texas but they are hard to find and even harder to get onto.

Comment

Every person on this site can justify what they’re doing or not doing in regards to a lease and hunting.

Do what you do. It’s all relative.

Comment

I know of a place exactly like you have described. A friend of mine has hinted there for years. Shoots a 155+ every year and a 165+ every three or so. Lease fee is $8k and feed is another $4k. I have been lucky enough to sit with him a few times and it is incredible. Just much more than I can afford or would like to spend!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          Every person on this site can justify what they’re doing or not doing in regards to a lease and hunting.

Do what you do. It’s all relative.
                          That’s the best way to put it. Everybody has different motivations, time, money, etc. Do what you do and enjoy it.

Comment

What you are describing is out there. Well almost. Those kinds of places don’t shoot their trophies at the young ages of 5 and 6. They gotta get some real age on them.

And these places certainly aren’t for everyone. I certainly
                            Understand the guys that just wanna have a fun place to hunt. What you are talking about is an entirely different lease. It’s a lease for guys who get great satisfaction out of growing as big of bucks as they possibly can. And they are out there.

Comment

Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Nope.

Trophy hunting has soured me on leases and to a lesser extent deer hunting.

It’s almost impossibly to find a lease and just enjoy the lease and hunting. The drama a bunch of grown *** men can cause over a deer is just stupid.

We are our own worst enemy. We complain that hunting numbers are going down but we take the fun out of hunting even for kids and drive the price up so much in the name of shooting trophies that no wonder kids aren’t interested or some folks just can’t afford it or refuse to pay that much for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Last edited by Mike D; 06-27-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Just got on a place almost as you described. 19k acres broke up into smaller tracts for leasing. We have 8 guys on 2500 acres.

Each lease has same rules. 1 protien feeder per hunter. 1 trophy 5.5 or older 1 cull.

It is my 1st year so I will see how good it is but I think my odds will be good.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X