Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barnag View Post
    Good grief you're crushing them. Where are you located and what kind of ranch are you trapping? acreage etc

West Texas Irion Co. Very large ranch. Caught 59 in little over two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just started learning to snare on dig unders on a high fence. Not much info out there on how to on a high fence. Have about 60 snares out have caught a few but miss way more. Care to share your snare set or any tips or tricks.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RWNJRB View Post
        Just started learning to snare on dig unders on a high fence. Not much info out there on how to on a high fence. Have about 60 snares out have caught a few but miss way more. Care to share your snare set or any tips or tricks.
        Thanks

I’ll get some good pics tomorrow of how I do it.

Comment

Thank you very much. Wanting to put a dent in them before fawning starts.

Comment

Here is an article on a short fence snare that has been very successful for me and several animal control professionals on dig unders. They work best on net wire.
            This is a "how to" on making and setting the most successful snare I have ever used.  It is great for predators and would work in a surv...

Comment

Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Originally posted by RWNJRB View Post
              Thank you very much. Wanting to put a dent in them before fawning starts.

Here is a typical setup for me. Sorry for the dark pics it was cloudy today and I didn’t notice how dark it would look. I cut my snare cable 33-34” for these fence snares making them
              In the ballpark of 32” usable cable and use micro or mini pro locks on 5/64 cable.

I use 24 or 26 ga wire for snare support in a “J” shape fashion inside the loop and just wrap it just outside the lock. Lowe’s has that support wire they call it floral decoration wire or something like that for floral arrangements.

Good swivels are a must and keep your snares as short as possible. Also make sure and “load” your snares or bend that cable back against your lock to make a better loop.

I prefer to make the fastest snare possible even if it is a bit “relaxing” versus an all out “killer” type snare. You will catch a lot more coyotes and cats that way.

I’ll get some better pics if it’s sunny tomorrow. I adjusted this snare a little more center before I left but you get the idea.

Comment

11 coyotes today. 2 day check. 7 in snares and 4 in MB 550s.

Comment

How many mb550s are you running? What would you call a good normal catch rate?

Do you ever change up your bait or set?

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                    How many mb550s are you running? What would you call a good normal catch rate?

Do you ever change up your bait or set?

Not sure what a “good” catch rate would be it really varies night to night. I’ll have to look in my book but I think there are 9 or 10 MBs on that ranch and around 75 snares (ballpark). A lot more MBs will be going in the ground over the next week now that we have some control over the exterior fence.

I alternate baits/lures regularly depending on time of year and just having a change up.

I use about 3 different baits and around 5 different lures.

Comment

At this rate, you'll take care of the coyote population for all of us in Texas. Thank you for that.

Comment

Thanks. I ask because I have 10 MBs out on 100 acres. Ive caught only two coyotes and Im still getting pics of them and seeing fresh sign. I know my locations are good at funnels and intersections. They arent being dug up or tripped. It seems to me the coyotes just arent paying them any attention. Ive been using jarred beaver meat and coyote urine for bait. One of my two catches was actually on a dead robin from the freeze. Any recommendations for bait and lure?

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                          Thanks. I ask because I have 10 MBs out on 100 acres. Ive caught only two coyotes and Im still getting pics of them and seeing fresh sign. I know my locations are good at funnels and intersections. They arent being dug up or tripped. It seems to me the coyotes just arent paying them any attention. Ive been using jarred beaver meat and coyote urine for bait. One of my two catches was actually on a dead robin from the freeze. Any recommendations for bait and lure?

Maybe try Hiawatha valley on the bait something more mouse/rodent style. On lure for long range cavens gusto or get a gland lure of your brand choice.

Comment

7 today. 4 in snares and 3 in MBs.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Maybe try Hiawatha valley on the bait something more mouse/rodent style. On lure for long range cavens gusto or get a gland lure of your brand choice.
                              Thanks. I ordered some Cavens stuff.

Made my first release today. Duke 650 (looks like a bigger MB550 but quality is not the same). The trap did do a good job of not injuring the leg though.

Lesson learned. Dont give them a nearby place to hide.

Comment

Couple of DVDs and Solving Coyote Problems book available for those getting started

toledo I thought at first that cat got in the cab

Comment

Working...
                                X