Help with oilfield pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with oilfield pipe

On a company's website looking at used oilfield pipe and I have no clue at what I am looking at. Can someone clarify this? Just looking for some pipe for a fence.

RK
    GRD
    THRD pretty sure this thread
    JTS and this is joints

2 7/8 pipe has a RK of A5-3, GRD of N-80, THRD is 8RD, 350 JTS and a condition of EUE USED D&T 10,000#

N80 is material type, 8rd is the thread type on the ends.

Comment

I think the A5-3 is ASTM 53 or black painted pipe

Comment

N-80 is pipe grade, 8rd is the thread connection which is 8 round EUE ( external upset ends), and 10,000# D&T is 10,000 lbs delivered and trucked. I’d take the advice above on the A5-3. We grade ours in color banding which equates to a specific body wall loss.

Comment

D & T 10,000 pounds probably means drifted and test it to 10,000 pounds
          What you are after is structural grade it sounds like that tubing is too good probably too expensive for what you’re wanting to do

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post
            D & T 10,000 pounds probably means drifted and test it to 10,000 pounds
            What you are after is structural grade it sounds like that tubing is too good probably too expensive for what you’re wanting to do
            Kinda doubtful on drifted and tested to 10k. We rarely test any tubing past 4K, and that’s new tubing. Yellow band is up to 15% body wall loss, and never gets tested past 4K. Structural tubing is beyond 40% body wall loss. N-80 is bit higher quality tubing than J-55 or L-80 which I deal with 99% of the time, but it’s not that much higher quality than L-80.

Comment

This might be going off a different direction, but can someone explain body wall loss?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                This might be going off a different direction, but can someone explain body wall loss?
                How thick the tubing wall is. It gets worn down through use.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  How thick the tubing wall is. It gets worn down through use.
                  This. The pipe body starts out so thick depending on grade and weight. Overtime downhole it gets worn down or loses thickness. This is body wall loss. It’s measure with an EMI (Electro magnectic inspection) inspection.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I learned a few things today.

Comment

Don’t waste money on used pipe, buy new reject pipe. We used some for some braces, it looked good. Put in and painted. It didn’t take long the paint started bubbling real bad, thought it was a paint issue. Tapped on it with a hammer and huge chunks of rust started falling off. I guess what was ran through the pipe was really corrosive. Just my $.02

Comment

Bet the D&T is drifted and tested since it is N80. We would test J55and L80 to 5000#. If I where you and looking for structural I would look for J55. That N80 would be expensive since it has been tested.

Comment

N-80 pipe is typically for use in wells with H2S conditions, as has been said above 8 EUE is thread and what they mean by D&T 10,000#(drifted and tested normal meaning with used pipe) I have no idea. Typical mill spec pressure testing for new 2 7/8" EUE is 6400# and 2 3/8" is 7000#. I have run a lot of 2 7/8" tubing in 45 years in the oilfield and never saw any drifted and tested tubing with that high of pressure in new pipe much less used. Weight per foot of 2 7/8" is 6.4 lbs and 2 3/8" is 4.7 lbs per ft. As TX03RUBI said 10k d&t is highly questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
                            Bet the D&T is drifted and tested since it is N80. We would test J55and L80 to 5000#. If I where you and looking for structural I would look for J55. That N80 would be expensive since it has been tested.
                            I could see it if new. Not used. Burst yield on new L and J is MUCH less. I can’t see used N being that much greater than new L.

Comment

Looking at Haliburton book 2 7/8” N80 6.50# has a burst of #10,570, 8.70# has a burst of #15,000. Original post doesn’t state weight or color band on pipe.

I would still look for J55!

Comment

Working...
                              X