VPA vs. Muzzy: Both 3-blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dadams View Post
    3 Blade VPA’s sharpened and stropped will absolutely shave hair, and they are easy to sharpen, just a couple of different grit stones and a strop. I’m mostly using Iron Will heads now but have used the 125 grain 1-1/4” VPA’s a bunch and they are easy to get a shaving sharp edge on and they retain their sharpness very well. Of the two mentioned in this post they are the far superior head. Also very durable, just touch them up after running them through game and they are good to go. I guess the only way the Muzzy would be better is if you are not willing to sharpen your broadheads, but now that they are owned by Feradyne out of the package sharpness is hit or miss.
    I one of the many that have difficulty sharpening. I do like the VPA but so far have not gotten them to shave hair.

Can you share your step by step method, with details, of sharpening the VPA?

Comment

In case the link does not work go to YouTube and in the search line type in “sharpening the 3 blade VPA broadhead - bowhunting tips - DIY

Comment

I’d take the muzzy.

Comment

VPA is a far superior head compared to a Muzzy. VPA can provide an extremely sharp edge that will hold the edge.

Comment

I have used Muzzy since 1985 and they work great and have never had a ferrule bend. I also sharpen the Trocar tip, just take the blades out and put the tip back on the ferrule and sharping it jest like you would the VPA BH. Also the Muzzy has a fixed blade locking system that secures the blades within the broadhead ferrule making it strong and it wont shed any of the blades. There hard to beat for a cheep BH

Comment

i Would guess the vpa would still penetrate better even with so so blades. Vpa’s are some of the easiest blades to get shaving sharp. Once you finish with the stones get a piece of cereal box cardboard and put some polishing compound on it and lightly drag the vpa rotating after each drag for an equal amount on each side. They will be extremely sharp after that process.

Comment

Working...
              X