Tractor horsepower ? for the experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor horsepower ? for the experts

I currently have an older model Kubota L3010 4 wheel drive tractor with a shredder. Works great for mowing or shredding but I need a front loader. Problem is, no one including Kubota has one. I am looking at a Westendorf loader but not sure of the price and how well it will work on the Kubota.

There is a possibility of buying a new tractor with a loader and putting the shredder on the new tractor. Here is the question.

I currently own 6.46 acres that has a pond and is a very rolling landscape and very rocky, small rocks, but rocky. I want to be able to use the shredder on the back portion of my property which I do with the Kubota now and other portions of the property where my Zero Turn does not work well. I have some gravel piles I need to move plus other rocks, large limestone blocks that I need to move plus moving some cross ties and some general dirt work on the place. The L3010 is a 30-32 horse tractor and it works great. Would this be a good HP range to stick with or would you go a little lower and save a little cash.

What compact tractors beside Kubota would you look at? Thanks.

If your current size meets your needs, stick with it, maybe go one size larger. I have kinda same issue, 1974 MF diesel doesn’t have a front end loader, I use it on one place and the larger kubota with loader 7 miles away. Been kicking around idea of putting a dirt bucket or on back to move things, would this be an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The real question is, “How often are you going to be doing this dirt/rock work??”. If it’s just a 1-2 time thing, then rent a skid steer or track loader. It’ll go much faster, and you can stick with a tractor in the 25-35 hp range (lots of 25hp tractors are as big as the 33-35 hp these days, just “detuned” to get around emissions/DEF requirements). Kubota has a deal on their 2501 with loader/trailer/shredder/box blade for $20,499, now, and it’s the same size as their 33hp.

In some respects, a slightly used closed station skid steer (ac/windows), with a heavy duty brush cutter accessory ($4-$7k), might be handier than a tractor, esp if you only have to mow a 2-4 “rough” acres.

Otherwise, a 40-45 hp tractor would be a nice size for pushing a little more dirt/rocks around, without getting “too big”. Leave your shredder on the back for extra ballast, so you don’t tip as easily.
      Last edited by Abctx; 12-25-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I have a JD E100 and the above tractor. It's been a great tractor with no issues and it's the most tractor you can buy for your money period. There is a dealer in plainview.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

You’re gonna need at least a 100 horse!

Comment

Come trade it in for a L2501. Non emissions and almost the same size as your tractor now.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
              https://bransontractors.com/product/3725h/

I have a JD E100 and the above tractor. It's been a great tractor with no issues and it's the most tractor you can buy for your money period. There is a dealer in plainview.

Not in Lubbock anymore. Retired and 6 hours from Lubbock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                Come trade it in for a L2501. Non emissions and almost the same size as your tractor now.
                I would love to but this rig was given to me and I do not or would not feel right trading it in, but I will be by to look at the Kubotas for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  I would love to but this rig was given to me and I do not or would not feel right trading it in, but I will be by to look at the Kubotas for sure!
                  sounds good

Comment

Not in Lubbock anymore. Retired and 6 hours from Lubbock!
                    See if they have any dealers near current location. It's been a very reliable tractor and what few parts I've needed have been easy to find. I'm only make the recommendation bc it has far exceeded my expectations.

Comment

I currently have an older model Kubota L3010 4 wheel drive tractor with a shredder. Works great for mowing or shredding but I need a front loader. Problem is, no one including Kubota has one. I am looking at a Westendorf loader but not sure of the price and how well it will work on the Kubota.

There is a possibility of buying a new tractor with a loader and putting the shredder on the new tractor. Here is the question.

I currently own 6.46 acres that has a pond and is a very rolling landscape and very rocky, small rocks, but rocky. I want to be able to use the shredder on the back portion of my property which I do with the Kubota now and other portions of the property where my Zero Turn does not work well. I have some gravel piles I need to move plus other rocks, large limestone blocks that I need to move plus moving some cross ties and some general dirt work on the place. The L3010 is a 30-32 horse tractor and it works great. Would this be a good HP range to stick with or would you go a little lower and save a little cash.

What compact tractors beside Kubota would you look at? Thanks.
                      You have plenty of horsepower for that small space. I live on 5 and have a 26 horse kubota and it's plenty for my place.

According to tractordata.com the loader for that tractor was an LA481. It had a lift to full height at pin of 1058 lbs which is pretty good unless you are moving a lot of dirt.

I found an LA481 on ebay but shipping would be an issue I suspect...

Note that it will cost you at least 3 grand for a used FEL. That's about 8 skid steer rentals if you don't think you'll use it much.

The older tractors were rated at their legit HP. The newer ones are a bit exaggerated, lol. Ask anyone who had an old JD, Kubota, etc. and now own a new one and they'll tell you the same... I'd try to keep your current tractor if you can.

Comment

Working...
                      X