Sad but unbelievable bow accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad but unbelievable bow accident

I was doing some research the other day and came across this appeal from a civil lawsuit. It's sad but is also a real head scratcher. If someone on here knows the litigants, or the deceased, I'm not making fun or trying to disparage the person. I just couldn't believe what I was reading, and thought I would share.

This appeal arises from a most unfortunate, unintended, and
    unwitnessed death. Dr. _________ was pierced in the head by the cable
    guard of his 2007 Hoyt Vulcan XT500 bow (A cable guard is a fiberglass rod that runs perpendicular from the riser—the central component of the bow here the handle is located—toward the bowstring. It keeps the cable out of the arrow’s line of fire), which he was examining, and possibly modifying, while at his home.

. . .

Dr. _________ was an avid bow hunter. One evening, while at home, with
    his wife seated in a different room, he sat at his computer with his Hoyt
    compound bow. His wife asked what he was doing, and he told her that he was searching the internet for a new part. A few minutes later, his wife heard a loud noise and found her husband lying unconscious on the floor with the
    compound bow’s metal cable guard in his head through his left temple. The
    rod went deep into Dr. _________’s brain. He died the next day. No one saw the accident.

How the accident occurred is confounding and is the subject of this litigation. Hoyt, the manufacturer, contends that, when modifying the bow,Dr. ______ voluntarily placed his head in the bow to examine it while pulling the drawstring; then, he accidentally lost control of the string, causing the
    cable guard to enter his head; and that such use of the bow was not a
    reasonably anticipated use of the instrument. The [Dr.'s family] contend that Dr.________ did not voluntarily place his head into the bow but instead that the compound bow was defective, and the defect caused the cable guard to release and enter Dr. _______’s brain.

Stay safe!

I'll just say I'm a Mathews owner, but I'm with Hoyt on this one.

Comment

Saw a video of a guy that drew a compound and put his head in it. Was funny, but he didn't die

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoWflutKwQY"]Dude Gets Head Stuck in Bow While Attempting to Impress the Ladies. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Jesus...

It should be pretty easy to determine if the guard flew out and hit him in the head or not...

I would like to see the rest of the info here

EDIT: Found it-

"He concluded in his report that it was most likely that
          Dr. Sandifer’s injury resulted from a twisting of the bow string that caused Dr.
          Sandifer’s head to involuntarily end up between the bow string and the riser
          due to a design defect, rather than a volitional act on his part. The basis for
          this opinion, as expressed by Dr. Kelkar, was that Dr. Sandifer was a
          “meticulous” and “very safety conscious” bow hunter who would know not to
          flex his left elbow in a “biomechanically disadvantageous” manner and place
          his head in the bow. "

Yeah... no. Never underestimate human foolishness.
          Last edited by Jspradley; 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
            Saw a video of a guy that drew a compound and put his head in it. Was funny, but he didn't die
            I was thinking about the same video.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the doctor was at fault in his own death! You can't fix stupid!!!

Comment

Bet there is/were no bowhunters on that jury!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Bet there is/were no bowhunters on that jury!
                  The verdict was in Hoyt's favor so either way it worked

Comment

No way that is the fault of anyone other than the good Dr.
                    I ****in cant stand people not taking responsibility for their own stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      The verdict was in Hoyt's favor so either way it worked
                      Oh, I didn't realize that. I thought there was a judgement against the manufacturer... Sorry this happened, but glad Hoyt wasn't stuck with something that was clearly totally out of their control.

Comment

Darwin award winner?

Gary

Comment

Crazy! How is the manufacturer responsible?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            No way that is the fault of anyone other than the good Dr.
                            I ****in cant stand people not taking responsibility for their own stupidity
                            I mean, he's not exactly able to take responsibility for it otherwise he probably would.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              Crazy! How is the manufacturer responsible?
                              Because human delusion is also limitless, the family couldnt accept that he did something stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X