Aoudad Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad Question

Don’t know the first thing about aoudad. 1) what the hell is that on its back, is that normal? 2) is that considered a decent aoudad? How are aoudad judged, trophy wise?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAC4B10D-AFCF-4599-9610-0B51145C8F68.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	25161215

1. Just the tuft of hair they have on their shoulders, its probably the position he is in that makes it look silly
    2. Decent aoudad, IMHO. Hard to tell with just 1 picture. Judged on length and mass. Rule of thumb to tell mass is by looking at the gap between the horns on the forehead. If there is hair he's not that heavy, if no hair he's heavy.

Comment

I know they taste bad!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

If it’s your first aoudad, I’d take him and get a euro done. He’s in the 22-24 inch range and needs another 3 years to make it into “trophy” status, but a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. The one I killed back in February was a brute of an animal and only measured 26. His bases were a quarter inch from touching on his head and was no doubt a mature ram. They are very spooky critters in free range settings.

They make decent sausage and jerky. The meat itself is very tough and has a distinct sheep flavor. It certainly wasn’t my favorite, but certainly edible when made into sausage, jerky, or stewed for 8-12 hours in a crock pot.
          Last edited by 2coolforschool; 10-05-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Kill it, give the meat away if you can.

Comment

3/4 grown aoudad. I agree with the 22”-24” range.

If he walked by my bow stand I would shoot him.

I’ve killed a few, and had a 22” ram euro mounted, and it looks pretty cool.

Regardless of trophy quality, they are a blast to hunt. One of my favorite animals

Comment

1. Part of its mane/hair... normal.
                2. Not a trophy by any means. I agree with the 22-24" assessment and trophies generally start at 30".

Shoot it and eat it... I do. Slow cooked in Irish stew and chorizo are how I make mine.

Comment

If it was me I would probably take him. I just shot my first aoudad last weekend and he measured 26.5” and I couldn’t be happier. I would say this one is comparable to the one I shot.

Comment

This Aoudad is not quite full grown as stated. But they are FUN to bowhunt. Very spooky. The population can get out of hand quickly as I hear they breed almost twice a year. We are overrun with them. Fun animals but can become a headache really quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In layman’s terms that sheep is the equivalent to a 130” whitetail.

So if you would pass up a 130” deer dont shoot if not let it fly

Comment

That’s a nice one man. I think it’s more than 24”. I shot a 23” one and was way smaller than that.

Also, cook it in a stew. I’ve had 2 and if cooked correctly taste good

Comment

Only chiming in to state that I think it tastes great when prepared correctly.

I get so tired of seeing people recommending to waste the meat. Treat it like you are cooking an old sheep/goat (low and slow) and it is delicious.

Comment

Free range, You better shoot him or your neighbor will. 24" max

Comment

Appreciate all the replies. And no, I don’t pass up a mature 130” WTD usually lol. I’ve got a couple of aoudad coming in. One is bigger than the other. Free range yes, first one to walk n front of me is getting an arrow. Will be my first of this type of beast to take, of course I’ll eat it, or try it at least. If it ain’t no good then I won’t shoot another unless I got someone to give the meat to

Name:	0A412985-53EA-4364-80AE-F8CD2CD84313.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	24555599

Name:	ED73563A-6202-42EC-BF31-A06E33C2AE5E.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	24555600
                              Last edited by Hunteraudit; 10-05-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X