No announcement yet.

Still waiting on deer mount. 16 months.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some taxidermist will stop answering phone calls or returning them if a person is bothering them to much. I can see the frustration both ways when that happens. Sending him 15 photos when only 2 or 3 where needed was probably the first sign to the taxidermist.

The only time I've been screwed by a taxidermist was SHURS in corpus...that guy is a POS thieve

I just picked up 2 mounts from my normal taxidermist last week and it took them 18 months, but I had replicas made. Just a regular shoulder mount normally takes them 12-14 months. I normally keep the horns with me until they call asking for them, which helps to pass the time until the mount is done. I enjoy having the horns around the house to look at until the taxidermist needs them.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
      Some taxidermist will stop answering phone calls or returning them if a person is bothering them to much. I can see the frustration both ways when that happens. Sending him 15 photos when only 2 or 3 where needed was probably the first sign to the taxidermist.

The only time I've been screwed by a taxidermist was SHURS in corpus...that guy is a POS thieve

I just picked up 2 mounts from my normal taxidermist last week and it took them 18 months, but I had replicas made. Just a regular shoulder mount normally takes them 12-14 months. I normally keep the horns with me until they call asking for them, which helps to pass the time until the mount is done. I enjoy having the horns around the house to look at until the taxidermist needs them.
      Excellent point, never leave the horns with a taxidermy shop till final notice it’s time for them to use
      And anything over 160+ gets a replica and original set stays with me

Comment

No communication is bs.

Since we are running down other states...
        I sent my Dad’s Beeman R1 to Paul Watts (Spring Gunning) in Tennessee to have a new barrel, spring, and tune done. $650.00 sent with gun. I got it back after a little over 2 years...
        He wasn’t good at communication either, but he does excellent work. Just took longer than the 3 weeks he promised...

Comment

In all fairness, those cheap TN mounts are not particularly good work. I hope your next mount is better. Poor communication is definitely frustrating and unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
            That’s a long wait, sorry to hear you picked a bad taxidermy shop .
            Just for reference post up some Tennessee mounted deer

I am have seen some terrible mounts come from bad taxi service
            Coyotes and bobcats mainly
            This is a great mount !
            Has that expression on his face, the second the bullet hit him.
            Total life like.

Comment

Guys I get it. The TN mounts don't live up to yalls standards.
              Think of it this way, if that is all you have seen then the "quality" problem is not an issue.

Comment

Fast, good or cheap – pick one.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                  Guys I get it. The TN mounts don't live up to yalls standards.
                  Think of it this way, if that is all you have seen then the "quality" problem is not an issue.

Dude I think everybody understands what was said and the comparisons in your attached thread. As you just stated if that is all you know then it is ok. I think the problem here is that some people want an awesome product regardless of cost. No big deal either way. Just understand there are differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                    Well, that is probably the case because this middleclass guy has a hard time letting go of $700. Don't worry, I wont make that mistake again.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                    I’d spend that $700 again, again, and again, however; spend it with someone that has a reputation of high quality AND hitting deadlines given.

Comment

There’s a few different pieces to this.

Anytime I drop off a deer I expect it’s going to take at least a year, if not longer. Any turnaround time earlier than that is just a bonus to me. I don't even ask them how long it's going to take. I personally wouldn’t think twice about 16 months if I’m getting a high-quality product back. I’ve waited over 2 years for ducks before but I send most of my stuff to Birdman. I know what I’m getting there and don’t mind paying or waiting for quality, but not everyone is like that. If I have to look at it every day for the rest of my life, I want it to look as good as possible.

I went the super cheap route once about 15 years ago. I ended up paying to get that buck re-mounted a few years later. I paid for it twice, which was more than it was just getting it done right the first time. Chalk it up to a lesson learned on my end.

Anytime you post mount pics on here, be prepared to get comments, (whether you asked for them or not), especially if the mount was done fast and cheap. Just remember the speed-cost-quality connection. They’re your mounts though, so if you’re happy with them, who cares what people online say? They won’t look at them every day like you will. If you’re happy with them then rock on. There’s been stuff posted on here over the years that I personally wouldn’t even hang in deer camp. If the poster is happy though, who cares?

Definitely keep your horns with you until they need them to do the mount. Then you’re only without them for a few weeks and can enjoy them the rest of the time.

No communication isn’t professional, but there’s a fine line between that and letting them just work through their list. If they've asked you for photos and poses in the last few weeks, you're probably not far off from having it completed.

Hope you get your mount back soon

Comment

Well at least you're living up to your username.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          Cool hyena mount!
                          Hyena? It's supposed to be a Llama!

Comment

Taxidermist are notoriously bad businessmen, Im not defending them at all. Personally I’d rather wait 2 years, than have a lifetime of looking at poor quality taxidermy.

Comment

I thought, in that other thread, you said you were going to bring them to me!

Poor communication is a bigger issue, to me, than the 16 months.
                              BUT, if you're used to a 2 to 3 month turnaround, I can see where you'd be upset.

FTR, the longest turnaround time, that I've ever had on an animal, was 8 years. It was a bobcat, for a friend of mine. He said "there's no rush", and was making small, sporadic payments ... $20 here ... $50 three months later ... etc. We had both forgotten about it until I was inventorying my freezers and found it. It had been tanned right away, so there were no issues with the skin, and it mounted up just fine. He paid the remaining balance ($200, I think) and everyone was happy.

I told this story to Cast and Blast, when some of his mounts were right at a year.

He told me, "I'd have burned your f'n house down by now if that was my cat!" LOL

Comment

I know for a FACT tanneries are running 3-6 months behind their usual 3-4 month time frames. My tannery has provided a letter I can show any of my customers that it is their fault, not mine but lot of good that does

Comment

Working...
                                X