cheap 1911 ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap 1911 ????

so, just got me a rock island armory 9mm 1911 as a beat around the ranch tractor gun ... made a quick review on youtube ... with likes and dislikes ..

one thing is for sure , sights got to go! without reading glasses the just disappear! anyone with experience on 1911 sights? i've done glocks but never 1911's ... don't think my push out tool would work either ... any recommendations would be great! ... here's the video i made on it .

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQCwRiT17M&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Rock Island Armory 9mm Review - YouTube[/ame]

The Rock Islands and Citadel's use a different front sight base than Colt's. I think the dovetail is different from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
      The Rock Islands and Citadel's use a different front sight base than Colt's. I think the dovetail is different from what I remember.
      figures! .. it's never easy!

Comment

On 1911.com there's a Rock Island thread that has the site dove tail angle and what works. Or call the service center in Nevada, they can tell you. Its' a common site just different than a Colt. My Rock Island 9mm is a shooter.

Comment

Not bad at all for mil spec sights and trigger. I had a Kimber 45 that wouldn't shoot groups like that from a solid pistol rest even though it had a much crisper and lighter trigger. My RIA 45 shoots tight like your 9mm. Good pistols for the money.

I now have night sights on mine like the ones on my SIG pistolas. They are available but I don't remember where the gunsmith got em.
          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-12-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

My citadel has been great and has the "novak style" sights. Best value in a 1911 you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Not bad at all for mil spec sights and trigger. I had a Kimber 45 that wouldn't shoot groups like that from a solid pistol rest even though it had a much crisper and lighter trigger. My RIA 45 shoots tight like your 9mm. Good pistols for the money.

I now have night sights on mine like the ones on my SIG pistolas. They are available but I don't remember where the gunsmith got em.
              funny you say that, i had a kimber 45 long time ago and my main gripe about it is that the bullet impact was behind the front sight .. so you either had to block what you're shooting at or you would hit low 6 o'clock... for that reason I sold it.

i must say the rock island is not bad for the money, but holding my STI hawk 5.0 now , I can really appreciate what goes into these pistols.

with that said , it groups pretty decent with full power +1.5 reading glasses where my front post is crisp . without my glasses though, these sights are awful, for my old eyes.

when I was young I used to shoot the NRA hunter's pistol matches at the club.
              40,50,75, and 100 meters ... I never shot a perfect score , but usually at least in the 30's out of 40 with a 36 once ... I can't shoot pistols that well anymore.

sucks getting old!

Comment

I did use bright yellow site paint on mine. It helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post

sucks getting old!
                  Sho do. I just got new bifocals from the VA and having trouble getting used to them. Cataracts in right eye and lens replacement in left eye. I'm still poping caps once a week 50 to 100 rounds. Hoping these new peepers help some. I'll find out tomorrow am when Alpine opens.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    Sho do. I just got new bifocals from the VA and having trouble getting used to them. Cataracts in right eye and lens replacement in left eye. I'm still poping caps once a week 50 to 100 rounds. Hoping these new peepers help some. I'll find out tomorrow am when Alpine opens.
                    i was using +.5 reader sunglasses from amazon bought them 2 years ago.. cheap and they worked great... so i thought till now... this weekend with these sights ... front is still blurry ... i did better with the +1.5 but then the background was really blurry ... maybe +1 would work in between .... might have to start thinning out the herd and selling pistols.

also cranking the eyepiece on rifles too... i notice i keep having to readjust them too! it sucks!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      i was using +.5 reader sunglasses from amazon bought them 2 years ago.. cheap and they worked great... so i thought till now... this weekend with these sights ... front is still blurry ... i did better with the +1.5 but then the background was really blurry ... maybe +1 would work in between .... might have to start thinning out the herd and selling pistols.

also cranking the eyepiece on rifles too... i notice i keep having to readjust them too! it sucks!!!!
                      Before I had a lens replacement I couldn't focus on my bow sight pin and still be focused on my target spot so I had to learn to shot both eyes open. right eye held the target and left eye held the pin. I missed a lot that way. Same thing looking thru scopes. Reticle was clear and target was blurred or vice versa. Being left eye dominant and having to depend on the right eye to hold focus throws things off a bunch. These new glasses seem to help a lot with both eyes being corrected for same distances short and far out.

Comment

I'm left handed, but right eye dominant .. so i shoot right handed most of the time. i don't plan on letting anyone touch my eyes anytime soon ...

Comment

Working...
                        X