Galveston living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston living

Well my kid got the call after being wait listed and is now accepted to UTMB. She has to report mid August so that leaves us scrambling. Her current Austin lease is up July 31 so I’m gonna run and bring her stuff home to storage then head to Galveston to start apartment hunting.
    Any leads and tips on where to look and not to look would be appreciated. Looking for input from those who have lived there or spend considerable time there. Need a condo or apartment, one bedroom. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galveston is very spotty, you’ll have a great area then the hood right next to it. I’d look at the apartments on harbor side (newer ones) and on ferry rd. Feel free to PM me, I grew up down there and spent a lot of time at the UTMB field house.

Comment

Go look at the properties.
      Like mentioned, it's hood on one side of the street and nice on the other.
      As a general rule, the middle is rotten, and the edges are good.
      I lived in houses, lofts, condos, and apartments the few yrs I was there, and by far I enjoyed the beachside condos the most, down around 83rd.
      Anything not locked up will be stolen, regardless of where you live down there, the further east of 89th you go, the worse it gets .

Comment

Get her an apartment in League City. Not far from Galveston and a whole lot safer.

Comment

I work at utmb, you couldn’t pay me to live down there but that’s just for me and my family. If I was single college age I’d be ok. There are places to rent around campus that are decent, not new or fancy but clean and close. A lot of houses on the east end have detached garage apts that they’ll rent. If you wanna go that route I would get with a realtor my coworker has two she rents out and uses real estate company in town I can try to ask her when I work again. A lot of students just live up in league city and drive down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Get her an apartment in League City. Not far from Galveston and a whole lot safer.
            This.

Comment

This again.

Comment

Apartments off 96 in League City

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy1123 View Post
                  Apartments off 96 in League City
                  This ^^^^^^

The ones near Bucees and LA Fitness are good ones.

Comment

If not in league city, there are some new, very nice apartments in Texas city by the buccees

Comment

This ^^^^^^

The ones near Bucees and LA Fitness are good ones.
                      Our daughter lived there behind the Bucees until recently, nice place and not too expensive. My friend's daughter was going to college in Galveston and living on the island, last year he moved her to League City because of crime in her apartments.

Comment

Originally posted by TA_Fab View Post
                        Galveston is very spotty, you’ll have a great area then the hood right next to it. I’d look at the apartments on harbor side (newer ones) and on ferry rd. Feel free to PM me, I grew up down there and spent a lot of time at the UTMB field house.

I'd check out this route. Like any other City, Galveston has some good areas and others that should be avoided. Sure, there are plenty of hood rats down there, but there's also a lot of older, retired folk as well.

League City area is an option, but something not mentioned, I-45 is under a lot of construction from League City almost all the way down to the Causeway. Also, depending on what part of League City, but even from the 96 exit, you are looking at 20+ miles each way down to UTMB. So, depending on her schedule, that could be a lot of driving.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, she's hoping to avoid a commute. From my kayak fishing days I remember how bad traffic could be down there even at 6am so I'm in agreement.
                          They assigned her a mentor who is helping with housing recommendations and there is also a peer group she's been chatting with online. Really wanting to live somewhere there are other students.

Comment

id say league city or even tx city ....its not gonna be too terrible traffic wise unless its holidays etc

Comment

Another vote for League City. No construction from 96 to Galveston on 146

Comment

Working...
                              X