Suggest a dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggest a dog breed

My wife wants a large to huge dog that will follow my son around the pastures and protect him from anything that gets near him (including snakes), and is a happy goofy dog with people, and can take the Texas heat.

Whatcha got?

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Comment

Bigger!

Comment

Great Pyrenees. Had one when I was growing up. Affectionate, but also had my back. Had a pit like that too, but they are getting too hard to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
          Great Pyrenees. Had one when I was growing up. Affectionate, but also had my back. Had a pit like that too, but they are getting too hard to own.

Ones around me wander to much, I would prefer Anatolian

Comment

Presa Canario is what I chose. He’s 160 pounds and loyal to a fault. If I’m in the room, he has to be touching me in some way. Always sits with his back to me facing forward…..watching. He’s pretty rough on snakes, possums, armadillos, and pretty much anything that runs from him. He can be a complete goofball when he’s not on command. But he’s all business when he’s supposed to be.
            Attached Files

Comment

Good blooded labs fit your bill also.

Comment

Female Healer - them things aren’t huge but they are working dogs (i.e. they need a job). When they get that their job is to be buddies with a kid - they will fight any man or beast they think is bothering their buddy. We had one that would eat you alive in our house unless they saw someone from the household greet them. Inside the house with no “boogie man detected” - just wanted belly rubs and to sleep on the couch.

Comment

rottweiler lab mix.

Comment

Rhodesian really is a good suggestion. Awesome dogs.

That said, my brother had a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) until he had to put him down 3-4 years ago as age 13+. That dog was the definition of a gentle giant while also being very protective, he was around 150 lbs in his heyday.

I trusted that dog with my kids which were sub teen and single digit in years at the time, but he’d have went to war for anyone he was familiar with. He was an amazing dog.

Comment

Mutt from the pound.

Comment

Anatolian Shepherd

They can be rescued easily. Lots of them in sheep/goat country.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          Presa Canario is what I chose. He’s 160 pounds and loyal to a fault. If I’m in the room, he has to be touching me in some way. Always sits with his back to me facing forward…..watching. He’s pretty rough on snakes, possums, armadillos, and pretty much anything that runs from him. He can be a complete goofball when he’s not on command. But he’s all business when he’s supposed to be.
                          That's a lot of dog right there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Pyrenees crossed with a Golden Retriever. Best dog ever had. Instinct was to protect and get between children and the problem. That's what they know.

Comment

I’m partial to this knucklehead. She’s always with us, and very protective. She can get wound up like a crackhead, but she sure is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X