• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    Do you have a deer facility?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Of course not.

That's a ridiculous analogy. Receiving counterfeit money doesn't have the potential to impact a compete recreational industry or the biology of a species. If there was the potential for that, then they SHOULD take the money and burn it, especially if you're in the business of receiving counterfeit money and transferring everywhere.

Comment

I dont have a dog in the fight. We never sold deer or moved deer off our place. We bought deer to improve genetics on a high fence pasture. Once they arrived, they only leave dead. But there has yet to be a proven study I have seen where a place has a big die off. It about like this Covid pandemic. Its gonna kill us all....or not really.

I'd be less concerned about a big die-off as the prions getting in your noggin.

It's a nasty way to die.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Instant gratification is the name of the game. People can’t work with what they have and improve on that. Too much effort and work. Instead have a pissing contest on who can buy the biggest buck. In the meantime let’s spread a disease instantly across the state that would take hundreds of years naturally.
        In a nutshell .

Comment

How about....this plan. If you see an increased mortality rate, sick deer, or other strange things, call us and we will immediately test the deer.
          Too late then. That's EXACTLY how the new outbrake has occurred.

Comment

Instant gratification is the name of the game. People can’t work with what they have and improve on that. Too much effort and work. Instead have a pissing contest on who can buy the biggest buck. In the meantime let’s spread a disease instantly across the state that would take hundreds of years naturally.
            Love it when someone knows what someone else has done. We worked with what we had for 14 years. Took deer from the 130-150 class to the 150-170 class. My dad is 70 years old and not sure how much longer he can draw a bow back. So decided to see if we could increase the genetic makeup of one 1600 acre pasture in the hill country and maybe kill some big deer before he dies or cant draw a bow. Not interested in killing one with a gun, because it's too easy. So, buy some deer, nothing crazy freaky, but big framed typicals. See how much the herd can improve in 10 years. Seems like a fair plan to me if it is legal. But...its not for everyone. Oh, and the other bigger pasture is still on the natural plan of trying to grow big deer the natural way. Btw, I'd rather kill a 170 native deer than a 200 tagged buck. So would my dad. The idea is the offspring grow up just like a native deer but without the hill country 15" wide genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
              Too late then. That's EXACTLY how the new outbrake has occurred.
              How many deer have died? So lock them down, along with the ranches that had direct relations with them, but not the rest. It's simple. If you got Covid, you and who you came in contact with had to quarantine. But some guy on the other side of town you never met shouldn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                Of course not.

That's a ridiculous analogy. Receiving counterfeit money doesn't have the potential to impact a compete recreational industry or the biology of a species. If there was the potential for that, then they SHOULD take the money and burn it, especially if you're in the business of receiving counterfeit money and transferring everywhere.
                Come on. You do wear your mask alone in the car dont you! Burn it all! Easy for you to say. Wait until it's your money and you were 100% innocent.

Comment

I dont have a dog in the fight. We never sold deer or moved deer off our place. We bought deer to improve genetics on a high fence pasture. Once they arrived, they only leave dead. But there has yet to be a proven study I have seen where a place has a big die off. It about like this Covid pandemic. Its gonna kill us all....or not really.

I understand what your saying. But TPWD traced it to/from the place you bought deer from and wanted to make sure you didn't wipe out half of the deer in whatever county your ranch is in. Possibly all of texas. CWD is 100% fatal, meaning no cure as of today. It will also lie dormant not showing any signs for months or even years. There are deer breeding facilities all over the states, thousands of them! I think what they are attempting to do is have their cake and eat it to. But there's too much money in the breeding industry to just shut it down. Which is what they should do to really stop CWD. They are trying to eliminate having a giant problem pop up right under their nose in a couple of years. However, it's sounding like they are about to have a big mess on their hands! Since CWD won't show signs or symptoms it has the ability to just "pop-up". That's why they go in and kill test all your deer. Those deer came from or where exposed to a possible source of CWD. They go in and say, Deer xyz123 was at this site on this day. So was deer 1234, 2345, 3456, 5678 etc... Then they trace all those deer to where they are now and the only way to be 100% sure they don't transmit CWD is to kill them and test them to make sure they don't have it. They eliminate any possible error or false negative. Sorry you got "whacked"!

Comment

Btw, I'd rather kill a 170 native deer than a 200 tagged buck. So would my dad. The idea is the offspring grow up just like a native deer but without the hill country 15" wide genetics.

I’m missing the point of improving your deer herd. What’s wrong with raising 170 class hill country deer? If you don’t care about shooting a tagged deer why introduce them?

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                      I understand what your saying. But TPWD traced it to/from the place you bought deer from and wanted to make sure you didn't wipe out half of the deer in whatever county your ranch is in. Possibly all of texas. CWD is 100% fatal, meaning no cure as of today. It will also lie dormant not showing any signs for months or even years. There are deer breeding facilities all over the states, thousands of them! I think what they are attempting to do is have their cake and eat it to. But there's too much money in the breeding industry to just shut it down. Which is what they should do to really stop CWD. They are trying to eliminate having a giant problem pop up right under their nose in a couple of years. However, it's sounding like they are about to have a big mess on their hands! Since CWD won't show signs or symptoms it has the ability to just "pop-up". That's why they go in and kill test all your deer. Those deer came from or where exposed to a possible source of CWD. They go in and say, Deer xyz123 was at this site on this day. So was deer 1234, 2345, 3456, 5678 etc... Then they trace all those deer to where they are now and the only way to be 100% sure they don't transmit CWD is to kill them and test them to make sure they don't have it. They eliminate any possible error or false negative. Sorry you got "whacked"!
                      No, that's my issue. They didnt trace it to us at all. We did have an issue though. We had a manager die and a new guy take over, but had deer born in that time frame, so we had some deer un tagged. They made us kill all of those, plus tagged deer that had zero tracing back to the infected ranches.

I understand what they were trying to do and why, but their execution was terrible and poorly thought out. Just like the counterfeit money analogy I used. I'm fine with locking things down and killing un tagged deer or deer that have been traced to the infected sites, but they wiped out some peoples entire herds when they showed no signs of the disease. Truth is, they really dont know much about the disease. So its hair on fire policies that need to be revisited. There are those in the industry and those who are not. Both have entirely different perspectives and the answer is probably in the middle, which is where I feel like I am.

Comment

I’m missing the point of improving your deer herd. What’s wrong with raising 170 class hill country deer? If you don’t care about shooting a tagged deer why introduce them?
                        I personally believe a lot of the "low fence" deer winning all the deer contests these days could be offspring of "introduced" genetics. When I first started hunting south Texas and Mexico with my dad, 25 years ago, a 160" deer was BIG! I still remember the day I saw my first 200" deer getting scored at las cazadores. That thing was like the "white buffalo"! Now a 200" low fence deer won't even come close to winning the low fence division.

Comment

No, that's my issue. They didnt trace it to us at all. We did have an issue though. We had a manager die and a new guy take over, but had deer born in that time frame, so we had some deer un tagged. They made us kill all of those, plus tagged deer that had zero tracing back to the infected ranches.

I understand what they were trying to do and why, but their execution was terrible and poorly thought out. Just like the counterfeit money analogy I used. I'm fine with locking things down and killing un tagged deer or deer that have been traced to the infected sites, but they wiped out some peoples entire herds when they showed no signs of the disease. Truth is, they really dont know much about the disease. So its hair on fire policies that need to be revisited. There are those in the industry and those who are not. Both have entirely different perspectives and the answer is probably in the middle, which is where I feel like I am.

I get you. But because those deer, without tags, weren't able to be traced they had no way to know if they had been exposed or not. That's the theoretical answer you get. However, there's another way for them to tell if there was ever a possibility that those deer came into contact with any "contaminated" deeror not. However, this method would cost TPWD a lot of money and man hours so they decided it was easier for your to lose your money and time instead of TPWD.

Comment

Well they weren't the norm for sure. We had killed 2. Our mindset was to bring in big deer, let them breed in pens, turn out the offspring. Let the offspring grow up as a "native" deer, but with a tag. Do this for about 5-6 years and cut them all loose in a high fence pasture. Those deer have babies in the pasture, never seeing a pen or tag. They grow up with good genetics and pass them on. The deer with tags also continue to breed until they die, or someone who likes a tagged buck that is old shoots it. But they spread their DNA. When I'm old and my kids are old, the ranch in that pasture has really big deer and not a tagged deer one. That was the idea. We didn't wipe out native deer and we didn't want 300" freaks walking around, but wanted to introduce some typical 6x6 or 7x7 genetics along with some deer that were 25"-30" wide. Thinking that maybe the general herd 20 years from now would consist of more 5x5 deer that were 18-22" wide. Again it's not for all, but neither is gun hunting or bow hunting. But it was legal and ok, at least to us. Just because we dont do it the same doesn't make one wrong and one right. But to go in and kill a bunch of deer for something that was 1000% unrelated is wrong and a prime example of poor political policy by a bunch of people who aren't able to look at each scenario differently but knee jerk react to appease a few

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                              I get you. But because those deer, without tags, weren't able to be traced they had no way to know if they had been exposed or not. That's the theoretical answer you get. However, there's another way for them to tell if there was ever a possibility that those deer came into contact with any "contaminated" deeror not. However, this method would cost TPWD a lot of money and man hours so they decided it was easier for your to lose your money and time instead of TPWD.
                              I totally understand that...except we paid them to kill them....a bunch of money. So they didnt lose any money doing it this way....which is right. They shouldn't bear that burden, the ranch should. The untagged deer I wont argue about killing them. But kill and test all of them, on the ranches dime. If they are all negative, stop right there. Why go kill a bunch more?

Comment

How many deer have died? So lock them down, along with the ranches that had direct relations with them, but not the rest. It's simple. If you got Covid, you and who you came in contact with had to quarantine. But some guy on the other side of town you never met shouldn't have to.

You don't get it. That thought process is exactly how the current expansion of the disease occurred. It started with a facility that was movement qualified. Then once they acquired the disease they managed to distribute them across the state. It is simple, really simple, stop the movement of deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X