Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand the mindset behind wanting to emulate the season structures of other states (long archery, short rifle). We don’t have a season structure problem, we have a too-many-tags problem in some areas. I’m all for dropping the spike rule in AR counties and make them one buck, but to prioritize archery over firearms is ludicrous.

You take rifles out of people’s hands for 3 years or whatever and watch the number of current and future deer hunters plummet in the span of one season.
    I agree. This is Texas not some other place.....if I own land I don't want someone else determine my weapon to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      I agree. This is Texas not some other place.....if I own land I don't want someone else determine my weapon to hunt with.
      Hmmm....they kinda do now. Unless your land is MLD, you can't use a rifle in October.

Comment

I cannot for the life of me understand the mindset behind wanting to emulate the season structures of other states (long archery, short rifle). We don’t have a season structure problem, we have a too-many-tags problem in some areas. I’m all for dropping the spike rule in AR counties and make them one buck, but to prioritize archery over firearms is ludicrous.

You take rifles out of people’s hands for 3 years or whatever and watch the number of current and future deer hunters plummet in the span of one season.
        I think they are only pointing out the fact that you can have consistent quality hunting in other states on small low fence acreage for minimal cash. In Texas the rifle season last way too long for a 3-4 year old 140+ class buck to have a chance with low fence neighbors. This is why the elite just erect high fences in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
          I think they are only pointing out the fact that you can have consistent quality hunting in other states on small low fence acreage for minimal cash. In Texas the rifle season last way too long for a 3-4 year old 140+ class buck to have a chance with low fence neighbors. This is why the elite just erect high fences in Texas.
          Exactly. Thank you for clearing that up for me. If rifle season was shortened or done away with completely for a 3 year trial period, hunters would begin to see higher numbers and better overall quality of bucks. (at least in the east texas counties I hunt).

Comment

Comment

Trophies are measured in the memories of chasing deer with friends and family not inches. I have seen too many people pass on and all their worldly achievements are boxed up never to be seen again. We need to remember what this sport is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                Exactly. Thank you for clearing that up for me. If rifle season was shortened or done away with completely for a 3 year trial period, hunters would begin to see higher numbers and better overall quality of bucks. (at least in the east texas counties I hunt).
                A: Cancel rifle season for a 3 year “trial” period.
                Q: I’ll take things only bowhunters say for $1,000, Alex. ������

Again I suggest making east TX counties one buck only. You shoot a 1.5 year old spike, fine. But you’re done for the year. East TX is hunting is tough enough without shortening the season. But you give a person one buck and they’ll think twice about shooting the youngsters.
                Last edited by Etxbuckman; 06-28-2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Again I suggest making east TX counties one buck only. You shoot a 1.5 year old spike, fine. But you’re done for the year. East TX is hunting is tough enough without shortening the season. But you give a person one buck and they’ll think twice about shooting the youngsters.
                  East Texas was one buck only for decades.

They had no problem shooting the youngsters

Comment

I have to get in on this thread. Very interesting. In regards to east tx (and I can only speak for Polk and surrounding counties), December (post rut) is real tough. The bulk of the harvest occurs before December. So shortening the season would not have a significant effect as reducing tags. I agree with one buck. Now let’s talk does. I have been theorizing this for awhile. Seems like the 2 does per man has really reduced overall numbers, in at least my immediate area.

As far as trophy growing, watching and passing. I am glad that passion is over. The new marching orders on the 205 acres I pay taxes on are….if it’s legal and you are happy to harvest it, do it. Way too many “he will be better next year” deer never seem be there the next year….for whatever reasons.

Comment

I like these threads as much as the Supremacism “management” threads.

Comment

I agree 100% Our east tx lease is MLD, and I understand that its something we willingly sign up for every year, but it sucks we may kill 5 bucks on 1700 acres, while we share a property line with an 11 acre tract that kills 3+ bucks every year. I get that people don't want more government interference in their lives, but I sure wish tags were determined for each property by its size across the entire state. The number of mature bucks would skyrocket if we didn't have so many small tracts being hunted by entire families whose main goal is to tag out every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          I have to get in on this thread. Very interesting. In regards to east tx (and I can only speak for Polk and surrounding counties), December (post rut) is real tough. The bulk of the harvest occurs before December. So shortening the season would not have a significant effect as reducing tags. I agree with one buck. Now let’s talk does. I have been theorizing this for awhile. Seems like the 2 does per man has really reduced overall numbers, in at least my immediate area.
                          I think a lot of guys, especially GarGuy, would tell you some of the best hunting can be had the last week of December through January when bucks bachelor back up and food sources get scarce.

As for does and lower deer numbers I tend to agree with your assessment and it’s a trend I’m not sure yet how I feel about. It seems the increased doe harvest is a somewhat recent thing so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Originally posted by steven View Post
                          The number of mature bucks would skyrocket if we didn't have so many small tracts being hunted by entire families whose main goal is to tag out every year.
                          This x 1000.
                          Last edited by Etxbuckman; 06-28-2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I think a lot of guys, especially GarGuy, would tell you some of the best hunting can be had the last week of December through January when bucks bachelor back up and food sources get scarce.

As for does and lower deer numbers I tend to agree with your assessment and it’s a trend I’m not sure yet how I feel about. It seems the increased doe harvest is a somewhat recent thing so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

This x 1000.
                            Agree on the late Dec thru end of season up-tick 100%. That being said, the number of bucks harvested during that period would not come close to Nov. harvest. We do take back to the stands at that time every year and we have had good luck.

The increase doe harvest is not real recent thing however. It’s at least 12 to 15 years (I am sure someone will confirm). I want to say it coincided with the introduction of the 13 inch rule? Anyways, I hear way too many folks say….I did not get my buck this season, but I got my does. The cocktail of ever increasing number of smaller tracts and a liberal limit will ultimately have an effect on the deer in East Tx.

Comment

Reducing the number of tags each guy gets is not the solution. Put a bow in somebody's hands with unlimited tags versus one tag per person with a rifle, and every single year, there will still be more deer harvested by rifle than archery equipment. It is infinitely harder to kill a deer with a bow than with a rifle. And fyi, the majority of the bucks I've killed that I consider a "trophy" have been killed with a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
                                I agree 100% Our east tx lease is MLD, and I understand that its something we willingly sign up for every year, but it sucks we may kill 5 bucks on 1700 acres, while we share a property line with an 11 acre tract that kills 3+ bucks every year. I get that people don't want more government interference in their lives, but I sure wish tags were determined for each property by its size across the entire state. The number of mature bucks would skyrocket if we didn't have so many small tracts being hunted by entire families whose main goal is to tag out every year.
                                I'm sure you realize it, but with only 1700 acres, invariably you're going to lose deer to the neighbors. You can't keep bucks on your low fence place with that small of acreage unless you fence it in.
                                And I'm curious as to your interpretation of how tags would be designated to each landowner? One buck tag per 100? 200? 300? I believe TPWD gives you a buck tag for every 150 acres you have under MLD. How could you limit landowners who owned less than 150 acres?

Comment

Working...
                                X