Duck Boat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zach View Post
    I'm wanting to get a boat for duck hunting in the near future. I've got a pup and want her to have as much opportunity as she can. Not looking to spend a whole lot and have been looking at 14-17ft jon boats. Does anybody run those on the duck waters? And what's a good price for a used one?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Used to run one and upgraded to a specially built Jon recently (not a jon boat but just a higher end model with frabication). Your gonna want to keep your eye out of a 14-16ft EXTRA WIDE Jon Boat. Thats what I used and loved it. I just sold my last one that was 16ft, extra wide, with a nice trailer for $1500-$1800 craigslist. That was for the boat and the trailer. For camo skirts I have used everything from $200 homemade version to a $1000 waterproof foot trigger operated canopy skirt that will cover you from rain . I bought an old motor to puttz around with.

Good luck with your pup.

-Jack
    Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 06-22-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Also I would add another question - never hunted ducks public and not sure if it's worth trying to race to spots every weekend or what. What's y'alls experience most of the time on public?

If you have a spot that you know the ducks want to go to then just get up earlier and beat people there. You can always take a nap in the boat once you get there. From what Ive seen theres not really any racing in Texas just because we dont have a time to leave the ramp.

Arkansas WMAs are a different story because they cant leave the ramp until 4am but we dont have any of that.

Comment

Also I would add another question - never hunted ducks public and not sure if it's worth trying to race to spots every weekend or what. What's y'alls experience most of the time on public?

Depends on where it's at and what the rules are. Federal refuges they can and will ticket you if you enter the units before a certain time. The reason for the 25hp limit on some federal land is because of the speed racers doing dumb stuff over the years. Overall though, the hardest part about hunting public is getting away from the idiots. A boat opens up all kinds of spots to hunt, but even then most guys are too lazy to learn the marsh/lake/coast, so they just go wherever is convenient or where everyone else goes. You have to put in work to find birds, stay on birds, and stay away from the social media duck slayer wannabes. Just the nature of the beast.
        Last edited by jdg13; 06-22-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Man there’s nothing like public land hunting good challenge and fun

Comment

How HP do you like for your motor?

25hp. That is what the hull is rated for. I might install an all aluminum transom some day. If I do, it will certainly take a larger one. Other than insurance policies, you can put as big an engine as you want on one. But for engineering sake, and safety, I'd recommend following the mfg guidelines for your hull.
            Some tin boat mfgs use the same hull but with different ratings. As more equipment and features are added, the HP ratings increase. A lot of that has to do with the features added such as decks, catwalks, ect, that can increase hull stiffness. But a bigger engine is also needed to push more weight as well. Again, it all goes back to engineering.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

You might want to find a buddy that has a boat that you can hunt with and decide if your going to like public land duck hunting. Its not everyone's cup of tea and I feel sorry for the guys that spend big bucks on duck rigs to find that out. Lots of duck dynasty wannabes in that boat. Not to mention most public land is over hunted and quickly shot out so unless we have solid cold front pushing new birds in regularly its tough sledding.
              Last edited by CTR0022; 06-22-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I have a Grizzly "Duck Blind" series that I just bought that I might sell. 1860 with an open plan. 40 HP Nissan Outboard Tiller. The boat is a 2010 and the motor a 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
                  I have a Grizzly "Duck Blind" series that I just bought that I might sell. 1860 with an open plan. 40 HP Nissan Outboard Tiller. The boat is a 2010 and the motor a 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Lots of good ones out there. A lot depends on how much you want to spend. I run a 1648 G3 river Jon. I don't have anything bigger simply because I can't get it through my gate and in my back yard. I started with a basic hull I picked up here. And been building it out as a utility hunting/fishing rig since. Almost done with it to. You can read up on it in the DIY forum.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

This man is down playing his build. His has a $80K yacht now.......

Comment

I have a Lowe 2017 1756 Deluxe w/60HP Merc tiller. It's wide and deep. Will carry up to 5 people. It's perfect for me, my 20 yr old, 17 yr old and 9 yr old sons, decoys and a dog.

Paid - 11K for the boat, motor and trailer. Added another 10K in Garmin trolling motor, 12" graphs and live scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                        I run a 1548 Weldbuilt vented tunnel with float boxes. I have a 25hp Tohatsu Tiller with a 30hp carb and 4 blade prop. I can easily handle 3 people a dog and gear. I hunt brackish marsh and have no issues getting up in less than a foot of water.
                        IMO, these two rigs are the way to go for what you want.

That 14' jon boat with a 6 hp motor would be good for fishing creeks and rivers, but I don't think I'd trust it to carry me, my dog, and my gear for a hunt. Would be worried about getting stuck some where if the conditions get bad.

Comment

No way I'd go less that 15. Especially if you have a dog in the mix

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You don't need speed until you need it. A 14'er with a 6hp will disappoint you. I just went through looking for an outboard and its slim pickens out there. Good luck with your search.

Comment

I have a line on a 1442 quachita with a new 9.9 hp Mercury motor. It a good solid boat and brand new motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunting public with a dog, and you'll probably typically have one other person, I would not get anything shorter than a 16' boat. And, I'd probably stick with at least a 48" bottom on it with a preferred 52" bottom. I run a 16x52 and hunt a lot alone or with one other and it works great. Also have to remember all the other gear you will have in the boat: couple dozen decoys, guns, shells.... those all take up space and weight. As for motor on the boat sizes I mentioned, I'd go with the gold standard of a 25hp outboard. Where you are you probably don't typically need a mud motor, which are heavier too. Prices on used boats right now are all over the place as it's kinda like the used car market. Those rigs should go for anywhere between $3500-7000 depending on age and motor size.

Comment

Working...
                                X