At home mental care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At home mental care?

Not really sure how to word my question, but it's been eating me for a while. My mom has some significant mental health issues, but is aware enough to argue about it and refuses to be taken anywhere. My dad had taken her somewhere once when I was in middle school but her reaction to whatever meds they gave her was.... less than favorable. To put it blunt, she's never been right since. She has good seasons and bad seasons, but it's been increasingly worse lately. I've been wrestling with how to handle it as a son, and try to help my dad out. He's been a prime example to me in dedication no matter what, but it's getting tougher and tougher on him. He moved here to texas for work and hes no longer working himself to death, but the move and lack of friends for mom (and difficulty to make new ones in her condition) has really started to impact him I think. He's tried a couple different ways to atleast get her seen, but pretty much ends with unless she wants to be treated, their hands are tied.
    Is anyone aware of any at home services he might be able to look into?

If nothing else could use a prayer. I'm still figuring out how to approach it as for the longest time dad kept us all just viewing it as mom is weird sometimes... till one day you're an adult and it's worse and it clicks with ya.

She can be committed against her will if things really get bad.

Comment

my BIL's wife did home health for adults who had mental impairments and on medicaid. She had like 7-8 clients who she worked with each week on basic care. Like grocery shopping, taking meds, social interaction, dr appointments, etc. There is something out there from what I've seen/heard, but mostly it is for those who are on medicaid.

Good Luck.. Prayers to you.

Comment

I’ll send some prayers up for you

Comment

No answers here, but best of luck to you. Mental issues can be worse than physical ones.

Comment

Well, the options are less than favorable because they will be against her will. You could get her sectioned where the police taker her to an ER and she gets admitted for a few days until her moods get stabilized with medication. The other option is to take her to the primary care doctor for evaluation and treatment. At the point, if the PCP agrees to what’s going on, he/she might order hospice which is not as terrible as it sounds. Basically, a nurse would go daily for a couple of hours tending to her and reporting to the hospice doctor. It’s more one to one care than what a PCP could give. But medication should be initiated by what it sounds like.
            Best of luck.

Comment

Mental health issues are real and need to be treated as such. Several things come to mind reading your post. (1) Your mom and other family members know there is a problem. (2) Mom is in denial and will fight like heck NOT to get proper treatment. (3) Dad wants her to get help, but always gives in to Mom and he is not strong enough to make the decision by himself. This is where the family has to get together and discuss options that will help the entire family, especially Mom. Once the best plan is established, you have to follow through and make it work.

The most important thing is to have your mom evaluated by a competent doctor (psychiatrist or psychologist) who can diagnose her illness, prescribe medication, and see that she attends individual and group counselling. Your mom is NOT alone as many of us are dealing with familial problems such as Alzheimer's, dementia, anxiety, depression, and psychosis. Doing nothing will not remedy the problem. She needs professional help and support from the family. Not sure if an intervention or court order is appropriate in your situation, but the family will have to agree upon what's best for your mom. Sadly, the situation will only get worse if it's all talk, and no action.

I support you 100% for asking for help on a public forum, and PM me if needed. As I posted above, you are NOT alone. We all have issues with aging parents and the often times tough decisions that have to be made. Parents do so much for their kids. Reality truly sets in when you enter your 50's and have to start thinking about how you're going to take care of mom and dad in the event of a serious illness or medical condition.

Comment

Our son had his first and only psychotic episode several years ago. Wife made the mistake of calling his therapist. We ended up taking him to the e r where my wife worked. Gave him two injections of something that made him sleep for 12 hours. We had him taken to Cross Creek in Austin which turned out to be worse for home. They kept him 48 hours, locked him in a room with another psyc patient, never gave him his meds, . They did absolutely nothing for him. Told my wife that she would never call the therapist again and get her involved or I would take our son and leave. Your mom would fare much better than our son did simply because her brain isn’t injured going into this.

Comment

I will second Cajun Blakes statement and also add that you should not wast time on a family Dr. Find you a GOOD psychiatrist. Keep looking until you find the right one. You will know it when you find it. I have a loved one that has been dealing with mental issues for over forty years. The last 20 years we found a great Psych Dr. in Baytown . If he were to relocate I would travel to wherever he was so that he could keep treating her. As far as the medication goes I would not recommend starting them at home . Any medication that alters the brain function should be prescribed in a heavily controlled environment. It sounds harsh but there is a fine line of getting the right dosage and or combination of drugs to be effective. Once you have the right combo and dosage the trick is to get them to keep taking them as prescribed . Like most medication they get to feeling better and decide on there on that they are cured and don't need the meds. First thing you know you are back where you started. I do not want this to sound discouraging because there is hope but it will take a lot of work on everyones part. It will be a lifelong commitment but once the results are seen it all be worth it. Good luck and we will be praying for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X